Sallie Mae

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hanover, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sallie Mae in May 2010.

Interview Details – This was for a summer job - we were brought in as a group and the general proceedings of the next hour or so were explained to us. Then, one by one, we were brought into the interview room with 2 members of the hiring team who asked us questions which were mostly directly related to dealing with upset customers. We did a mock phone call - basically, if you have even the slightest amount of people skills - you should be able to land this job. Also, there was a computer typing test at some point - you need to be able to type at a decent clip.

Interview Question – The mock phone call.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This was an hourly summer job, so negotiations were non-existent.

Very Easy Interview

Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae in November 2012.

Interview Details – First application, turned down for over qualification, second application, turned down,under qualified for the same position. a friend told me to apply again and I was called in for a group interview.
Next two interviews were over the phone. I was sent an email with the job offer

Interview Question – Did I ever go out of the way for a client that was beyond the scope of my position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there wasn't any. job was offered and I accepted, was given a work schedule and salary offer. was then sent for drug testing and there is a background check with this position

Fishers, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae.

Interview Details – Pretty simple. The first step is a phone interview. They ask you about customer service experience and if you mind saying repetitive things over the phone. A few situational questions, but not too in depth. The next interview is in person. There will give you a tour (along with a group of others who came to interview) of the facility, then you will meet with a supervisor for your second interview. Again, your standard customer service questions. How do you deal with a difficult customer? Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer? Do you have experience dealing with personal and secure information? Not too difficult. The third interview isn't really an interview. Just the Director asking about yourself and looking at your resume and he tells you that you have the job.

Interview Question – Why Sallie Mae?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's $13.22/hour, but you can get a monthly bonus and it is pretty easy to get.

Panama City, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sallie Mae in October 2007.

Interview Details – A simple skills test was first conducted before I had a 1:1 interview. The skills test consisted of multiple choice questions covering basic computer knowledge (and let me emphasize the word "basic"). There was also a typing challenge that measured your speed and accuracy. Once again, I only typed about 20 wpm and had no problem passing. After this I went thru multiple interviews with HR and supervisor.

Interview Question – What did I think after watching a rep perform their job during an actual call.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sallie Mae in August 2010.

Interview Details – I began my search on the internet and found that Sallie Mae was hiring for customer service representatives to fill their call centers in Fishers, IN. I applied and within a few weeks received an email confirmation from their human resources department for an interview. During the interview I met with two of supervisors who I would work with at some point in time. Both interviewers had numerous years of experience within the organization.

Interview Questions

Customer Service Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sallie Mae in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was smooth, they seemed selective and asked questions that was geared towards your ability to handle disgruntled clients

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sallie Mae

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sallie Mae Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sallie Mae employees and interview candidates.