Sallie Mae

Updated Sep 20, 2014
Updated Sep 20, 2014

2.4

Finance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sallie Mae in April 2009.

Applied Online and was contacted by HR after around 1.5 months. Talked to HR on the phone about experience and was scheduled for an interview. Interviewed in person with hiring Director and VP.

Walked through my resume then, typical behavioral questions. Interview was fine, did not seem like I overwhelmed them but I did not hear anything back from them after the interview, even after following up. Not even a call/email to say that I was not a good fit, which I thought was very unprofessional .

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to meet a tight deadline and how did you manage it.   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sallie Mae in July 2009.

Be prepared Excel. They will give you a hour excel test to see how comfortable you are.

Money

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sallie Mae in October 2009.

Standard process of interviews. Phone interview first followed by an on-site interview with the hiring manager and various other managers in the department. We went through my background, discussed the opportunity, and my fit for the role. After the interview, I heard back from the HR representative and she told me that I would receive an offer letter. The offer letter process was a little haphazard and took longer than I expected, but I was in no hurry anyway.

Interview Questions
    I did not try to negotiate.

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishers, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishers, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sallie Mae in June 2010.

Fast, though not always efficient process. Sallie Mae recently switched to a third party vendor to conduct initial screenings and scheduling of face to face interviews. There seemed to be much confusion on the vendor's part. I received a phone call from one person and then a follow up from another. A third person ended up emailing me the relevant info. In my case, I was scheduled to meet with someone from Sallie Mae (in person) at the top of the hour, but had to wait nearly 45 minutes as the person I met with was "in a meeting". To top it off, it was the third party vendor who contacted me after the interview regarding the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Please rank the following in order of importance: honesty, accuracy, effective communication.   Answer Question

I had concerns about how recently passed, federal student loan legislation will affect Sallie Mae's ability to continue as a going concern without major reductions in its work force.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took a weekinterviewed at Sallie Mae in August 2010.

I applied online within two called to schedule phone interview. Then that monday call for interview. I came in for 1:1 interview . Interviewed with supervisor then interview with call center manager. Was toldt hey would keep in touch and how good I was . Recently received email saying i wasnt chosen

C#, .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sallie Mae in February 2011.

The first interview was a phone interview that consisted of several questions pertaining to programming .NET. It went well enough for a 1:1 that was schedule a week thereafter. On the day of the interview, I get an e-mail from my Recruiter that was sent at midnight informing me that the interview was canceled because they have offered the job to someone else. C'est la vie. However, at the end of the week I received another 1:1 because the candidate apparently turned the position down. Later on, I received a transcript of my interview (pitched as a cheatsheet) from another recruitment company that I was not currently working with.
    So, obviously, I deduced that www.collegeloan.com was obviously a small startup without a real HR department. That I will be probably be interviewed with the the Principals themselves. Fast forward a week later, The 1:1 took two hours long and was a multi-tiered interview. The first tier, was a series of programming questions by two interviewers. I answered enough questions correctly to enter the second phase. The second phases is when the conversation took an entire shady tome. The interviewers at this point phone conferences a man into the conversation. Through the conversation, I find that they are outsourcing backend development. Well, the job interview is for a C#, .NET Developer. So, needless to say, I did not get into the third and final tier of the interview save for a weak explanation that the man that would have conducted the interview had a toothache that day.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sallie Mae in April 2011.

The interview process was smooth, they seemed selective and asked questions that was geared towards your ability to handle disgruntled clients

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in two years?   View Answer
    • How well do you handle an upset customer   View Answer
    non-negotiable

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sallie Mae in August 2010.

I began my search on the internet and found that Sallie Mae was hiring for customer service representatives to fill their call centers in Fishers, IN. I applied and within a few weeks received an email confirmation from their human resources department for an interview. During the interview I met with two of supervisors who I would work with at some point in time. Both interviewers had numerous years of experience within the organization.

Temporary Non-Exempt Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sallie Mae in September 2011.

A phone interview, followed by a 3 interviews. Not too difficult honestly.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Sallie Mae in June 2010.

haphazard and not terribly applicant focused
    Had me drive 2.5 hours to interview and no offer to reimburse expenses

They will low-ball you so ... negotiate fiercely. Otheriwse, you'll be working along side others doing your same job but earning more $$