Sallie Mae Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.4

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sallie Mae in April 2009.

Interview

Applied Online and was contacted by HR after around 1.5 months. Talked to HR on the phone about experience and was scheduled for an interview. Interviewed in person with hiring Director and VP. Walked through my resume then, typical behavioral questions. Interview was fine, did not seem like I overwhelmed them but I did not hear anything back from them after the interview, even after following up. Not even a call/email to say that I was not a good fit, which I thought was very unprofessional .

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to meet a tight deadline and how did you manage it.   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sallie Mae in July 2009.

Interview

Be prepared Excel. They will give you a hour excel test to see how comfortable you are.

Money

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fishers, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Fishers, IN) in June 2010.

Interview

Fast, though not always efficient process. Sallie Mae recently switched to a third party vendor to conduct initial screenings and scheduling of face to face interviews. There seemed to be much confusion on the vendor's part. I received a phone call from one person and then a follow up from another. A third person ended up emailing me the relevant info. In my case, I was scheduled to meet with someone from Sallie Mae (in person) at the top of the hour, but had to wait nearly 45 minutes as the person I met with was "in a meeting". To top it off, it was the third party vendor who contacted me after the interview regarding the offer.

Interview Questions

• Please rank the following in order of importance: honesty, accuracy, effective communication.   Answer Question

I had concerns about how recently passed, federal student loan legislation will affect Sallie Mae's ability to continue as a going concern without major reductions in its work force.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Boston, MA) in October 2010.

Interview

A simple interview and asked basic questions

Interview Questions

• What did you like the least (and most) about your job?   Answer Question
    • How would your previous employer rate your productivity   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Reston, VA) in October 2009.

Interview

Standard process of interviews. Phone interview first followed by an on-site interview with the hiring manager and various other managers in the department. We went through my background, discussed the opportunity, and my fit for the role. After the interview, I heard back from the HR representative and she told me that I would receive an offer letter. The offer letter process was a little haphazard and took longer than I expected, but I was in no hurry anyway.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online within two called to schedule phone interview. Then that monday call for interview. I came in for 1:1 interview . Interviewed with supervisor then interview with call center manager. Was toldt hey would keep in touch and how good I was . Recently received email saying i wasnt chosen

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Reston, VA) in March 2008.

Interview

Pretty simple. Met with several members of product management and one person in HR. Asked the standard behavioral questions. Everyone was friendly and seemed like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you didn't get along with someone and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Reston, VA).

Interview

Submitted resume to job ad, was called by the Recruiting Manager for an interview. Met with her and then two days later was called back for a second interview with the Director of Recruiting and the VP of HR. Several days later I received an offer which I accepted.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the offer up $5k from the original amount they offered me.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Newark, DE) in June 2012.

Interview

Initial communications were confusing in some cases. It was all through email initially, and the first interview, a phone interview, was scheduled via an online scheduler. The phone interview was brief, only about 10 minutes, and then I waited a few days and got called to be scheduled for a regular interview. The normal interview had a single initial person you spoke to, who then forwarded you to another higher up person immediately following the first interview. They were all nice, asked the standard interview questions, and explained about how the job worked and how to be successful.

Interview Questions

• They asked to roleplay a situation where you were on the phone with a borrower who couldn't pay, and asked what you would say to them. This was difficult and unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

A person from HR called. There wasn't that much room for negotiation.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Sallie Mae (Newark, DE) in June 2010.

Interview

haphazard and not terribly applicant focused Had me drive 2.5 hours to interview and no offer to reimburse expenses

Negotiation

They will low-ball you so ... negotiate fiercely. Otheriwse, you'll be working along side others doing your same job but earning more $$