Sallie Mae Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.4

Finance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Sallie Mae in April 2009.

Applied Online and was contacted by HR after around 1.5 months. Talked to HR on the phone about experience and was scheduled for an interview. Interviewed in person with hiring Director and VP.

Walked through my resume then, typical behavioral questions. Interview was fine, did not seem like I overwhelmed them but I did not hear anything back from them after the interview, even after following up. Not even a call/email to say that I was not a good fit, which I thought was very unprofessional .

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to meet a tight deadline and how did you manage it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sallie Mae in August 2010.

I applied online within two called to schedule phone interview. Then that monday call for interview. I came in for 1:1 interview . Interviewed with supervisor then interview with call center manager. Was toldt hey would keep in touch and how good I was . Recently received email saying i wasnt chosen

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sallie Mae in October 2010.

A simple interview and asked basic questions

Interview Questions
    • What did you like the least (and most) about your job?   Answer Question
    • How would your previous employer rate your productivity   Answer Question

C#, .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae in February 2011.

The first interview was a phone interview that consisted of several questions pertaining to programming .NET. It went well enough for a 1:1 that was schedule a week thereafter. On the day of the interview, I get an e-mail from my Recruiter that was sent at midnight informing me that the interview was canceled because they have offered the job to someone else. C'est la vie. However, at the end of the week I received another 1:1 because the candidate apparently turned the position down. Later on, I received a transcript of my interview (pitched as a cheatsheet) from another recruitment company that I was not currently working with.
    So, obviously, I deduced that www.collegeloan.com was obviously a small startup without a real HR department. That I will be probably be interviewed with the the Principals themselves. Fast forward a week later, The 1:1 took two hours long and was a multi-tiered interview. The first tier, was a series of programming questions by two interviewers. I answered enough questions correctly to enter the second phase. The second phases is when the conversation took an entire shady tome. The interviewers at this point phone conferences a man into the conversation. Through the conversation, I find that they are outsourcing backend development. Well, the job interview is for a C#, .NET Developer. So, needless to say, I did not get into the third and final tier of the interview save for a weak explanation that the man that would have conducted the interview had a toothache that day.

Collector I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sallie Mae in June 2012.

Applied for the position, within a day I was scheduled a phone interview. 3 days later, scheduled for in person interview...was there 4 hrs (interviewed with 3 mgrs (separately). Went well, waiting on response.

Interview Questions
    • What did I like least about my current/previous position?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Sallie Mae.

I got a call from HR for screen phone interview after 1 month later applied on online. It took me about 2 weeks to have both first and second round of interviews. I called and emailed HR to follow up after couple days of second round of interview, but never heard respond. I think it's very unprofessional.

Assistant GC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sallie Mae in November 2011.

Long interview with potential supervisor

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sallie Mae.

pretty easy. just hard to actually get and interview. and once you are in make sure your background is good because they do a thorough check even if you have student loans

Portfolio Analyst Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Sallie Mae in July 2009.

Be prepared Excel. They will give you a hour excel test to see how comfortable you are.

Money

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fishers, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishers, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sallie Mae in June 2010.

Fast, though not always efficient process. Sallie Mae recently switched to a third party vendor to conduct initial screenings and scheduling of face to face interviews. There seemed to be much confusion on the vendor's part. I received a phone call from one person and then a follow up from another. A third person ended up emailing me the relevant info. In my case, I was scheduled to meet with someone from Sallie Mae (in person) at the top of the hour, but had to wait nearly 45 minutes as the person I met with was "in a meeting". To top it off, it was the third party vendor who contacted me after the interview regarding the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Please rank the following in order of importance: honesty, accuracy, effective communication.   Answer Question

I had concerns about how recently passed, federal student loan legislation will affect Sallie Mae's ability to continue as a going concern without major reductions in its work force.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!