Sallie Mae

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sallie Mae in May 2009.

Interview Details – This was a .NET Software Developer direct hire full time position.

I went through one of their agencies Princeton Information. They did an initial online/phone test.

Then I was submitted to Sallie Mae. The hiring Manager did a phone screen.

Then they called for an on site interview with the Architect and the hiring Manager individually. There was no panel interview; so that was strange compared to other firms I later interviewed at.

Interview Question – On Site question: Draw a system or deployment diagram of a web application.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I went through a recruiter at a staffing agency, the salary was pre-negotiated.

Newark, DE

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae in August 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring was simple enough, had a phone interview that lasted roughly 20-25 minutes, with the majority of questions being about your computer skills. I was then brought in for an interview with a manager, then scheduled to come back for a final interview with a manager in the department I would be working in. At that interview, I did a side by side with a representative and then sat for another 30 minute interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, pretty straightforward questions about past job history, behavioral, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sallie Mae.

Interview Details – Started through a temp agency and was hired on permanent...

Interview Question – can you work any shift   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Web Content Manager Interview

Web Content Manager
Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sallie Mae.

Interview Details – One Interview.

Negotiation Details – sGave me what I asked for.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Fishers, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae.

Interview Details – Pretty simple. The first step is a phone interview. They ask you about customer service experience and if you mind saying repetitive things over the phone. A few situational questions, but not too in depth. The next interview is in person. There will give you a tour (along with a group of others who came to interview) of the facility, then you will meet with a supervisor for your second interview. Again, your standard customer service questions. How do you deal with a difficult customer? Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer? Do you have experience dealing with personal and secure information? Not too difficult. The third interview isn't really an interview. Just the Director asking about yourself and looking at your resume and he tells you that you have the job.

Interview Question – Why Sallie Mae?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's $13.22/hour, but you can get a monthly bonus and it is pretty easy to get.

Collector I

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sallie Mae in September 2012.

Interview Details – It was quite easy, the hiring manager asked me couple STAR questions, and offered me the job a day later.

Interview Question – How do you handle a situation when a customer is getting frustrated?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Sallie Mae

Interview Details – The interview was pretty simple and straightforward, typical behavioral questions as well as some more straightforward ones. A lot of the focus is put on being able to trust you with sensitive information since you are exposed to quite a bit of it over the course of a given day.

Interview Question – None of the questions were really that difficult. Maybe something about where you see yourself in the company after 5 years because most people don't even know what the path up from a collector is at that point in the interview process.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Newark, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Sallie Mae in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communications were confusing in some cases. It was all through email initially, and the first interview, a phone interview, was scheduled via an online scheduler. The phone interview was brief, only about 10 minutes, and then I waited a few days and got called to be scheduled for a regular interview. The normal interview had a single initial person you spoke to, who then forwarded you to another higher up person immediately following the first interview. They were all nice, asked the standard interview questions, and explained about how the job worked and how to be successful.

Interview Question – They asked to roleplay a situation where you were on the phone with a borrower who couldn't pay, and asked what you would say to them. This was difficult and unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A person from HR called. There wasn't that much room for negotiation.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Client Relationship Specialist
Newton, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sallie Mae in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewing to work at campus solution is fairly easy to prepare for. They require some experience on customer service, taking and making calls. Also you need some good communicating skills, emails and presentations. You need to have computer skills, some excel, word and be a fast learner on oracle, but not required to know it.

Interview Question – They were not tricky with tough questions, but be prepared to be asked why do you want to be a clients relationship manager, and why Sallie Mae   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was an offer, take it or leave it...no negotiations involved.

Monetary Processing Representative Interview

Monetary Processing Representative
Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sallie Mae in January 2013.

Interview Details – Received a phone call back within a few days of applying for the position. Did a short 10-15min. phone interview with basic questions about what I knew about the company, the pay grade and what the job entailed in brief. Passed that and got an email with a face to face interview time for the next day. Had to pass a 10 key, typing and Excel test before going back for the interview.

Interview Question – What are the most important qualifications of an employee in this position?   View Answer