Sally Beauty

12 candidate interviews

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sally Beauty in May 2011.

Interview Details – Originally met in person first, then proceeded with 2 over the phone interviews, one with higher management and another with HR. It had taken a while for an answer as, it seemed evryone was busy. I was actually going to decline if another day had went by. One on One was fairly standard, questions repeated for the following 2nd and 3rd interviews. They do personality screening as well.

Interview Questions

• What made you decide to apply for this position at Sally Beauty?   Answer Question
  • What would you say are your best skills you would be bringing with you? What would you say your weakest skills are?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You have to be firm and know what you are worth. I just kept pushing.

District Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sally Beauty in September 2009.

Interview Details – Generally average interview. Afterwards, I had to follow up and it turned out the TM and the VP both thought the other was going to call me.....finally I had a phone interview with the VP that lasted about 1/2 hour and was more like a conversation than an interview. About a week later I got an offer with a salary 4k lower than I asked for. I negotiated and met in the middle at 48k.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – This company pays WAY lower than a comparable company. And they don't pay mileage, they give you a car allowance for using your own car. I put on 600-800 miles a week. No wonder they don't pay mileage.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was looking for a part time job during high school. My mother was a somewhat frequent patron at this small Sally Beauty Supply location, so there was a personal element to the hiring process. My mother asked if they were hiring, was given a paper application for me to fill out and when I returned it, I was essentially scheduled for an interview immediately. The interview was just about as typical as one could expect from a chain retail store, including the most basic of interview questions. In comparison to many people who apply for that position, I'm sure I presented as a gem in the interview. While I don't remember exact details about the interview, I can confidently say that anyone who conveys genuine concern for customer satisfaction and speaks eloquently should have no problem, whatsoever, getting hired. I had no prior experience in retail sales and even less knowledge about the products they carried, but was hired simply because I made a positive impression.

I do remember one loop I was thrown for. At the end of the interview, I was asked if I smoked. This caught me completely off guard and I had no idea whether it was part of the interview or not. I said, "No, I quit," and my boss's response was that she wanted to know because they take frequent smoke breaks. Anyone who has ever seen the episode of Friends in which Rachel, a non-smoker, works with smokers who bond over their smoke breaks will understand how I felt at that point.

The paid on-the-job training is grueling- and I don't mean it was physically or even intellectually challenging. However, it was immensely draining. It consisted of sitting in a back room with a small TV, a binder filled with pages upon pages of reading material and tests, watching hours of employee training video, produced by corporate and answering test and quiz questions about the hundreds upon hundreds of tedious information about products, displays, interacting with customers and other store procedures. I quit the job 85% of the way through the training process because, as far as I was concerned, it was just short of torture and I realized that retail sales was not the right job for me.

Interview Question – Do you smoke?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – For an entry level position, as a sales associate, you have nothing to bargain with and must accept what is offered. Negotiation is nonexistent.

Beauty Consultant, Cashier Interview

Independence, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in February 2009.

Interview Details – Was called the very next day after I filled out the application and dropped it off. Manager asked me to come in for an interview set for the next day. As soon as I got there she called me to the back right away and we went over my application, pay, payday, stuff like that. She didn't ask me to many questions just basically why I would like to work there and how long do I see myself there. At the end she asked me to pick a product off the self and try to "sell" it to her, she like my "presentation" and asked when I could start! Overall I had a good experience, manager was very nice and professional!

Interview Question – How long do you see yourself working for this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sally Beauty in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in person, and was called for an interview which I set up for the following day. The interview was a basic array of questions about customer services, beauty knowledge, etc. Nothing too crazy. Got called the next day offered the position. In general pretty simple interview process, though the location I had did not take online apps.

Interview Question – Pick a product in this room and sell it to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was simply told that after a few months I'd be able to get a raise.

Macon, GA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sally Beauty in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty standard. It was one on one with the store manager. I was asked about my back ground in retail and beauty supply. I was asked about hours available to work, personal working style, and problem solving skills. The office and work culture was pretty unprofessional. You are not interviewed by any human resources personnel. Benefits and compensation are not thoroughly explained. The training after you are hired is very informal and almost non-existent.

Interview Question – I was asked about some of the things that might make me upset at work? Either with customers or co-workers   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview Details – Received application in person, returned application, contacted by location manager and was interviewed next day. The interview is done one on one by the location manager. Manager asks what prior experience you have, hours available. Focuses mostly on why potential employee wants to work for company, and interest in beauty products as well as customer service.

Interview Question – How familiar are you with beauty products?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Denton, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sally Beauty in August 2011.

Interview Details – After a brief telephone screening I was invited for an interview with the HR manager that consisted mostly of telling me all about Sally Beauty and not allowing much opportunity to discuss my qualifications. What I was able to say must have been acceptable because she then said she'd like me to meet with the VP I would support. I thought we go along very well and thought along the same lines to the extent that we might be able to "sync up" fairly quickly. They said they were only interviewing about 5 candidates out of a couple hundred submissions, so I thought my chances were good. Sadly, I got that stark "thanks but no thanks" email a few days later. A request for some feedback for my own development went without a reply.

Interview Question – How would you rate your skill level with Microsoft Office?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in January 2011.

Interview Details – work enviorment is very clean however the back for employees is horriable. interview was great, managment was very easy with interview but i can see she hires staff based on customer service so customers are always coming back!

Interview Question – What can I bring for the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – sallys is pretty cheap!

Very Easy Interview

Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very very very easy. they just go through your application with you and ask about recent employers on how your experience was. They asked why you left, do you have any goals, would you be interested in an managment job in the future. They also ask some personal questions just to get to know me to see if Im an overall reponsible, realiable person. I am a cosmetologist so my chances of getting hired was a little higher then whomever didnt have one. I also have had retail and salon/product knowledge experience.

Interview Question – why did you leave your last job   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sally Beauty interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sally Beauty employees and interview candidates.