Sally Beauty

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sally Beauty in October 2013.

Interview Details – I turned my application in, in person, and the manager called within a few days, Came the next day for an interview, they ran a background check and I got the call saying I was hired by the end of the day, with my schedule in place.

Interview Question – Most difficult question is always: "Why do you want to work for us?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wanted higher pay and there was no negotiating that, even with my experience. No other negotiations.

Rockford, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in February 2011.

Interview Details – One in person interview

Interview Question – Some question about dry cleaning that didn't pertain to customer service, inventory control or work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation... You get minimum wage. Or slightly more if you have a cosmetology degree(that costs upward of $15k mind you)

Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sally Beauty in April 2011.

Interview Details – There's a script, you can't really ask personal questions, but that's to be expected.

You can't hire anyone based on your own good judgement, it has to be approved by the district manager.

Interview Question – It's all pretty standard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Edison, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sally Beauty in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. They will ask if you have any cosmetology license (not required) or retail experience. Also if you have a very flexible schedule. They ask you if you have any interest in hair and beauty products and what you know about the products they sell.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with cosmetology or beauty/hair products?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sally Beauty.

Interview Details – Took two months to hear reply. Interview and hire we're same day. Unorganized interview and hiring process.

Interview Question – Nothing hard or techniqual   Answer Question

South Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sally Beauty.

Interview Details – Pretty simple, 2 interviews

Interview Question – Why do you wish to work for this company? (I only took the job cause I was desperate)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Short, they wanted to pay me, a licensed Cosmetologist, single head of household with plenty of related experience min wage!
I negotiated and only got 7.50 per hour

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sally Beauty.

Interview Details – 1 interview basic questions, held in the backroom of the store with the manager, should be dressed appropriately but most people aren't. SHOULD HAVE COSMETOLOGY BACKGROUND IF HIRED!!! most of the girls that work there don't know much about it and there suppose to advise in hair coloring and types of products to use and most of them just guess.

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sally Beauty in February 2013.

Interview Details – it started out as basic hello tell me about yourself and stuff like that then the manger told me
why they were hiring and if I would be able to have
a flexible schedule, I said yes and then he asked if I was outgoing and
be willing to go up to customers I said yes of course, he smiled and proceeded to
tell me the hours that were available and how much I would make , he said I would only
get about 17 hours or so and that I would start at minimum pay and because I have a Cosmo license it would go up a bit but not much :( then I had to watch a video about the
company and what it stands for and stuff like that it didn't last much but while I was watching the video he was attending a customer and by the time I finished the video he was still busy so I had to wait on him for about 20 mints cuz the client was asking about extensions , so I waited when he did come back he apologized for taking so long and then we got back to buisness lol he didn't ask me about the video just made a joke about it lol that was a relief cuz u wasn't paying too much attention lol so finally he asked me if I was interested I told him I really wanted to work there but there weren't a lot of hours. and I needed something that did so unfortunately I had to decline the offer but the interview was pretty straight forward except for that 20 minute delay

Interview Question – unexpected 20 minute delay because of a customer and the video they make you watch   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – needed more hours and better pay

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sally Beauty.

Interview Details – The interview process was very easy but unprofessional. The manager took her sweet time calling me for an interview and when I was there she made me watch a video, asked a few questions without writing it down and left me for 15 minutes alone with the merchandise in the backroom. If you get hired, don't expect to be able to accept or decline because you don't have a choice, not with this DM. she schedules you without your consent.

Interview Question – what didn't you like about your last job and why?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – unprofessional and felt I had no choice

Wheat Ridge, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sally Beauty in August 2012.

Interview Details – I loved my interview. I thought she did not try to ask so many questions as to prove myself, and that's good. I thought we hit it off well. She was interested in me, and my qualities, not just my abilities.

Interview Question – I always hate the one where they ask about your faults, but she didn't ask. I like that too.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sally Beauty Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sally Beauty employees and interview candidates.