SalonCentric Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.2

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SalonCentric in October 2014.

3+ weeks
    I applied online using Indeed.com. Same day I was sent an email thanking me for my application and if I was a good fit for the job they would be contacting me further. About two days later I was contacted by the District Manager to set up an interview for the next week.

DM interview- is pretty straight forward introductions, qualifications, then scenario based questions (tell me what you do to ensure superior customer service?) I believe there were about 8 or so questions. She then told me about the store and conditions (the good and the opportunities.) She told me about the employees, two of which were brand new and would need a lot of training and development because they were new. She told me about the expectations of the store manager that would be taking over the store. We didn't get into "numbers" per se, but she told me about the volume and obviously it needed to go up :) I asked her how many people had been interviewed for the position and what was the next step. She told me that there were a few interviews, but only the serious ones move on to the HR interview. Salary did come up, I did tell her that because of my previous management experience and what I was bringing along with me I would expect to be at the higher end of the pay scale. The interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. About 5 days later the DM called me back and let me know that I was going to be interviewed by HR for the Midwest and we set the phone interview up for end of the week.

HR interview- She called me at the agreed upon time and was very bubbly. I would have to say she did most of the talking. I believe in total she asked me 5-6 questions but there were part of the conversation. One of the questions was about shrink at my last store and what the numbers were in my departments. Another one was about resolving a conflict between two co-workers and associates. Again, all the questions were scenario/situation based. When answering the questions about conflict make mention of taking the parties aside and have a conversation. Snap decisions are not encouraged. The only real surprise during this interview is that she wanted to negotiate salary and I wasn't prepared (I didn't even have a calculator on me at that time) to do that at the time. I didn't know that HR discussed salary. So, I told her this and we threw some numbers around comparing my last salary to this one, but nothing concrete. As for what was next if I was moved along I would be interviewing with the Regional Vice President. Usually this a phone interview, but she maybe in my area so an in person interview was possible. Interview lasted 59 minutes. About a week later HR called me and told me that I was selected to move forward in the process and that the RVP was going to be in the area so they were looking to have an in person interview. The only issue was she was going to be in a city that was about a 2 1/2 hour drive from me. I have to admit that was a little off putting, but this is for a job so I went.

RVP interview- I arrived at the SalonCentric about 5 minutes early. RVP came out soon after she was on a conference call. Introductions were first, tell me about yourself. This interview I did most of the talking. She told me that the company had come out with a new interview packet for store managers and I would be the first one she had tried it on. yippee. The questions were very similar to the DM's, but there were a lot of them. I would have to guess and say 20 or so. A lot of the questions are about conflict resolution and how you are going to manage your people. They want to know what kind of manager you are going to be. She then asked if I had any questions and I asked her what her expectations were and basically she is looking for double digit growth. She told me about her career and how she got to where she is. Then she told me she had a store manager at the store and she would like us to talk and I could pick her brain. I met the store manager and we talked about routines and what being a store manager was like, etc. The RVP had a phone she had to return so she left us alone for 5-10 minutes. Then she came back and the store manager and I wrapped up our conversation. After the store manager left she told me I GOT THE JOB!!!! Then she discussed salary. I got $16.50/hr. it was a pay cut from my previous employer, but all things considered it was fair. She then told me I would be getting emails about a background check and a drug test and if all that was clear I would start after that. I thanked her and then drove home.

I was an assistant manager from a big box retailer, I HAVE NO COSMETOLOGY LICENSE OR BACKGROUND. Do not let not having this background discourage you, one reviewer said they didn't get the job because of this- don't let it discourage you.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation with HR was unfamiliar, but it worked out in the end.   View Answers (3)
    According to what I have seen online store manager pay is between $15-$17/hr. I would say it never hurts to ask (expect one commenter said she was yelled at, which was not my experience.) I would definitely say if you have management experience ask for the higher end of the scale.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SalonCentric.

Pretty forth right. DM read right off the interview guide. DM was very I insistent that it didn't matter if you had a cosmetology license, but the person they hired did have a license so I guess it does. This is a 3 step interview process; DM, HR, RVP. Stores are very small and the pay is ok for the volume of the stores. The nice thing is that the public can't shop there, only professionals.

Communications and Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

I applied online – interviewed at SalonCentric.

Before arriving for my scheduled interview, the company asked that I complete a form about my work history. This form took a long time because it asked for every possible detail about my professional background - employer's name, address, and phone, my past titles, starting pay, ending pay, bonus amounts, contact info for every supervisor, start and end dates, job duties, why I left, and so forth. I dislike giving potential employers my salary history, it's frankly none of their business, especially when they aren't sharing the amount the position pays, but there was a note saying candidates that omitted info would be eliminated from consideration, so I complied.

The interview itself seemed to go well. I interviewed with two women who asked a few simple questions about my past jobs and accomplishments. Most of the interview felt like a pleasant conversation. I thought I had a good chance of moving on to second-round interviews as we had good rapport and the women seemed interested. I thanked them for their time in a follow-up email and waited to see if I would be moving on. However, I heard nothing.

Three or so weeks after the interview, I sent a follow-up email to the women I had met with. They must have forwarded the message to their corporate HR in New York because a rep soon replied letting me know I was no longer in the running. I basically already knew that, but had hoped to be told earlier. It was disappointing to put time and effort into preparing for the interview, filling out the lengthy form, paying for child care, etc. only to be dropped and forgotten as soon as the company decided they didn't need me. I hope SalonCentric, and other employers in the habit of not notifying unsuccessful interviewees of their status, reconsider this practice.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all simple and basic. For example, tell us about your experience here. What were you duties there? There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Salon Education Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SalonCentric in April 2014.

I applied online, and a recruiter contacted me for a phone interview. She then scheduled a one on one interview with the District Manager and Regional Manager. The interview lasted about an hour. They told me that the candidates they wanted to move forward with, they would give a personality assessment to. This assessment was pretty difficult, expect word problems, equations, definitions and analogies- very similar to the SAT tests. I really enjoyed who I interviewed with and thought that I would be a excellent fit for the position. Ultimately they decided to go with a candidate who they hired internally.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't really ask me a whole lot of questions during the face to face interview, but the recruiter asked me generic interview questions during the phone screen.   Answer Question

Salon Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SalonCentric.

Phone interview with HR person. she is new to the company so wasn't very helpful with answering my questions. Then had in-person interview with District Manager. She was late but we had a nice conversation. she did most of the talking and didn't really ask me any questions at all. It was rather strange.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. More text-book (and overused) questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I applied in-person – interviewed at SalonCentric.

Was shopping in store & knew it was the perfect job for me. I asked a man if he was the manager. He said he was the VP visiting for the day! We had a great conversation: products, biz, etc & quickly introduced me to Mgr.

Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SalonCentric.

The entire process took FOREVER! About one month after I submitted my application an interview was scheduled. Then, about two weeks later I attended the second round of interviews. A full month after that I was notified that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Very easy questions - just have specific examples of your work to show them.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SalonCentric in November 2013.

Interview with operation director

Operational Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source – interviewed at SalonCentric.

I was part of an aquisition. There was not a true interview process.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SalonCentric in September 2013.

I applied online about 2 weeks prior to getting a phone call from the store manager to set up an interview. We scheduled it for the following week. I had to arrive earlier because they wanted me to fill out an application there before the interview. The manager took me to their back room and gave me time to fill it out. It was basic availability, contact info, work history, skill summary, etc. After I finished she came back and started the interview. I felt very comfortable speaking with her compared to past experiences. It was friendly and relaxed. She told me about what they do at the store, about who they're directed towards, her experiences with the company, and what the job I was applying for entailed. At the end she said that I would probably receive a call from the District Manager if they wanted to continue the process with me. I never got a call back so I figured they went with someone with more experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, fairly simple questions about work experience and what you would do in certain situations.   Answer Question