Sam Houston State

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

HIDTA Intelligence Analyst Interview

HIDTA Intelligence Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sam Houston State in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call from human resources asking if I could do a phone interview at a pre-determined date and time. The interview was with an HR employee and a manager who took turns asking very basic questions. It was surprisingly short and only lasted about 15 minutes. At the end of the interview they said they would call with a decision in the next few weeks. I was contacted by email four weeks later saying they hired someone else. It seemed they were not really interested in hiring me and just wanted to interview me to meet a quota.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you worked in a group and a time when you worked independently.   Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Instructional Designer
Huntsville, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sam Houston State in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview. Then the folks from the actual department called me within the next few days. I was then asked later on to come in for a face to face interview so I set it up for the following week. The face to face interview did not consist of as many questions as the phone interview did. The face to face was primarily them elaborating more on the position itself and the challenges they were facing. It felt more like a company meeting than an interview. One of the guys kept saying things like, "when you work here this and when we hire you that." He gave a lot away! Position came about because of growth within the university, not because somebody left (which was a good sign in my opinion). Questions during the phone interview were mostly about experience. After the official interview was over, they expressed their interest. That was very exciting, but not surprising given some of their team member's slips of the tongue. They were very laid back people, but professional at the same time. The office itself looked crowded with cubicles and desks right on top of each other, which I would hate, but then I found out later that this was a temporary arrangement until their new facilities were finished. Work culture seemed about what you'd expect for a university, laid back and academic focused.

Interview Question – What do you feel makes a good or strong online course?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't really get to negotiate because the position was budget controlled. The HR lady was kind of short with me about too and quickly said she'd give me time to think about it before I could say anything else. This to me was shocking because the posted position had a wide hiring range so I thought there would be more room for negotiation. My advice would be not to get carried away with a hiring range that's posted. Even if there's a range, they will still shoot you a fixed budget controlled salary when they offer you the job and it won't be what you think it's going to be. They will start you towards the lower end of that range even if you have education and prior experience. I even did research on other salaries that people in the same department make and they all get paid quite well for a university (I thought). So, my jaw dropped when they told me the salary. It was much lower than what I thought. Try to get them to give you an idea of what the budget for the position is before you make any trips out for an interview in person (especially if you have to travel far). In my case, even though the pay was way lower than expected, it was still almost 50% more than what my previous employer paid and I had no other offers. Many times you're doing good if you even get a 5% increase! I wanted out of my job pretty badly too and I knew the experience would be valuable. I have a feeling they knew this too. Those HR folks are smart, so be on your P and Q's with them. On the positive end though, I understand you get evaluated after being there for six months and at that time they give you a retroactive pay increase, which is pretty cool. Not sure what the percentage is though. I guess it's based on how well they feel you've performed. I shall see!

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst

Interviewed at Sam Houston State

Interview Details – Online Application. Which takes really long

Interview Question – Was intermediate   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Operations Crew Interview

Operations Crew

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Sam Houston State in August 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process was very laid back for me. I was referred by a friend who worked for Sam Houston and who had put a good word in for me, so I pretty much had the job before I even got there so my current supervisor and I just talked about different getting to know you subjects rather than a full blown interview.

Worked for Sam Houston State? Contribute to the Community!