Sam's Club Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
270 interviews

2.3

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club in January 2014.

The hiring process for Sam's Club is very long. It takes about 3 weeks total. There are 3 interviews before you get hired, but if you get past the first 2 then you basically have the job. The questions are mostly behavioral questions, so study up on those because there are A LOT of them. At my second AND third interviews, I had to "sell" products and/or memberships to management. Don't get too nervous because they like it if you try, even if you think you can't sell.

The best advice I could give to someone who has an interview there is to BE PREPARED!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. What policies/tools did you use and how did you solve the problem?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. They won't offer you a position unless they like your availability. Your pay is based on a computer system and experience, so you can't negotiate it, but they pay above minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club.

3 interviews, background check, drug screening, orientation about 3 weeks,

None

Club Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club.

Promoted internally as most are. Company is looking at balancing that as it continues to grow rapidly. Talent is the number one tenant they focus on. Minimum 1 interview from a MHRM and then a Regional VP. Quick as an internal applicant as they make their mind up without going through the process objectively. External the process is similar but usally starts with the recruiter. More objective I'd say.

Interview Questions
    • 01. Describe a time when you recommended a new process or initiative that has the potential to improve business performance or results.

02. Describe the mentoring and learning opportunities that you’ve provided associates and in your response describe how you’ve ensured these opportunities supported career growth.

03. Describe the steps you’ve taken to manage budgets and overall financial performance for you’re area of responsibilities.

04. What business data and information do you typically consider when setting priorities and making decisions.

05. Describe the methods you use to teach inventory flow processes to others

06. Describe how you’ve built and maintained an environment that promoted and supported associates in executing business goals.

07. Describe the program and processes you’ve implemented to increase associates ability to better serve members.

08. Describe a time when you were responsible for coordinating a project that required you to consider views or opinions from different areas.

09. Describe the steps you’ve taken to promote an environment of adaptability and continuous learning in your club

10. Describe the plans you’ve developed and implemented to promote excellent member service.

11. Describe a time when you initiated and developed a key relationship in the community that helped you enhance the reputation of the company.

12. Describe the plans you’ve developed to set expectations and goals within our club.
        View Answer
    none. take it or leave it.

Connection Center Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sam's Club in July 2011.

There were two different one on one interviews before I was given my offer. First with the supervisor of the department, then the manager of Hardlines. They were both standard fare, asking me how I would deal with situations expressed in typical interviews such as dealing with an irate customer.

Connection Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Streamwood, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Streamwood, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sam's Club.

The interviews are really straight forward. "Tell me about a time you blah blah blah" type open-ended questions. No cover letter needed.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected here. Like I said, very straight forward. If you speak English, and you are not a total idiot you will get the job.   Answer Question
    This is a strict. structured, retail corporation so there is no negotiation. Your pay will vary though dependent on your experience. So lie if you have to about the years of experience. I doubt they will ever check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anderson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC

I interviewed online - interviewed at Sam's Club in May 2010.

Applying online does require at least a general understanding of a retail environment. Basically, just answer the question in the way that is most opposite of how walmart/sam's club employees typically act. It's always the answer that best serves the customer. Beyond that, they call in for multiple interviews with supervisors and managers and literally read questions from a mandated interview and write down your answers. They ask about work experience and then ask questions in which the answer is always going to be focused on what you can do for the customer and history questions such as how you've dealt with difficult situations at work and difficult customers in the past.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. They pay based off experiences. There is sort of a tally system where everything in that list that you have experience in gets you an extra x number of cents per hour.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club.

Relatively simple. STAR type questions. They don't care about your answers per say, just your ability to answer. Drug Tested after initial offer. Background checks are slow. They do not care about your credit. Be honest on your application, as I am sure some of you are wondering.

Interview Questions
    • STAR questions are challenging. Interviews are a numbers game. Apply over and over at many locations before you get a call. Don't give up.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Cafe Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Worcester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Sam's Club in September 2013.

The interview process was painless. I filled an application out online and called back a few days later to see if they had received it, and the personnel manager called me in for an interview, which lasted about 10 minutes while they asked me a few questions pertaining to my life skills. After I called a few days later, I was told my hours did not suit their needs. However, a couple weeks later I received a call asking if I was interesting in applying for a different position that suited my hours, and I agreed. I went to one more interview similar to the first and then a third and final interview in which we discussed drug testing, background checks, and my pay.

Interview Questions
    • "Name one time you had to make a difficult decision. How did you approach the situation and what conclusion did you come up with?"   View Answer
    There was really no negotiation. The pay is a set pay scale, so I was not able to negotiate that, and the hours were as-needed.

Meat Cutter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club in July 2011.

They will call you if they think you are what they want, they will ask for the first interview with the head of the department which you intended to apply. Hes probably gonna make the decison because if its what he needs you will be hired. Second interview will have to do with your people skills and that u will be able to work good with others. If you have a 3rd interview your pretty much hired because it will be done by the store manager and all you have to do and say is you will be on your best behavior while working there.

Interview Questions
    • Will it be hard for you to get another job if you leave here or don't get this job?   View Answer
    Got what they gave plus the 15% stock match, if you have more to offer ask for more.

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boardman, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boardman, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sam's Club in September 2012.

It was a three step process. Contact, second interview, third negotiation on pay and drug test within the hour.

Interview Questions
    • What would do if you can't get along with a fellow associate or even a direct supervisor ?   View Answer
    Not very negotiable. Management has no autonomy in paying more for experience. The computer makes the decision. It's pretty depressing.
    It's pretty obvious they are seeking to hire the lowest paid associates possible.