Sam's Club Manager In Training Interview Questions & Reviews

1.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Sam's Club in April 2013.

I went to a military hiring event and was really just going to hopefully get a practice interview in as I prepared to retire from the military. I've always liked Sam's Club but retail wasn't really something I was looking at. This event was specifically for MIT. Initially, there was a 45 minute presentation on the management career path. After this they told those of us that had interviews to go to them (I didn't) and told the rest of us to mingle with the remaining managers. I just started engaging in conversation with managers and eventually found the one for the town I was interested in. He asked if I had an interview scheduled and I told him no, then he asked to see my resume and after reviewing it checked their online database to see if I had applied online and if I had passed the assessment (I had but didn't know that until he told me.) I was then scheduled and interviewed by two store managers. As others have mentioned they had a standard list of questions for this interview. I had no previous retail experience but has 20+ years of military experience so I answered with similar type situations I had been confronted with. I found both ladies very friendly and it made the interview very relaxing and allowed me to be myself. During the interview I was also allowed to ask questions and asked both ladies about their career paths to store management. After this interview they told me to hang around and they'd be right back with me. A few minutes later I was approached by the manager who had initially set me up for an interview and was then taken to a table where I conducted another interview with him and another store manager. The first question I was asked was "why retail?" I explained that I hadn't really even thought about retail until I started researching "management training jobs" and I noticed that Sam's Club showed up several times during my research and that people seemed to enjoy the culture there and the opportunity for advancement. After this interview I was asked where my preference to train was and I told them which seemed to cause some concern as I was a late interviewee and they had already extended some offers for that location. I was told to hang out while they talked to someone. He came back a few minutes later with the HR person and again I was lead to a table where I was told they loved me and wanted to extend an me a job offer. I thought overall the interviews were fairly simple but I can honestly say the 6 people who interviewed me and the probably 5 other managers and assistant managers I talked with during the course of the day were very forth coming about working in retail and also the culture and advancement opportunity with Sam's Club. I was really impressed with the entire way the day was conducted from the presentation at the beginning until the job offer (which had never even entered my mind when I went up there just to check out Sam's Club.)

Interview Questions
  • I found the retail oriented questions difficult initially as I had no retail experience but the interviewers told me "we know you have no retail experience just relate experiences you've had that were similar." Probably my favorite question was about "growing talent" and how I had done that in the past. This seems to be (and rightfully so) a big concern during the interview process.   Answer Question
I was able to negotiate a later start date by about 2 months as it was mutually beneficial to both myself and Sam's Club.

Other Interview Reviews for Sam's Club

Anonymous Employee  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Sam's Club in September 2012.

Must complete and online application in the careers section of Sam's Club/ Wal-Mart website. After that you must complete the 100 question survey. I got an email from the HR recruiter asking what day and time I would like a phone interview. The HR recruiter would call me on my requested time and ask about 4-5 questions such as "Why are you interested in this company?", "Tell me about your last job?", "What does your degree have to do with manager experience?". Then she explained the position in detail and gave me tips for the face-to-face interview which she sent out an email to set up that interview time. The face-to-face interview requires a business professional attire and at that interview there were 2 Club Managers that administered the interview. They ask the same 5 questions they ask all of the candidates that were given to them by HR. After the interview the HR recruiter will send an email 2 weeks later if you passed or not.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project in which you have completed that has benefited the company and yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Sam's Club in April 2010.

My interview had taken place at the Westin Hotel in Atlanta Georgia. It was apanel interview consisting of two existing management staff and one recruiter. I described my life experiences as a manager and we spoke about a few management situation of ethics, difficulties, and customer service. It was a great interview, but at the time I was not sure how I wanted to proceed with the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were forced to make a compromising decision (ethics).   View Answer

I actually did not decline....i did not purse the opportunity holistically and it was assumed that I was not interested (follow-up). I was completing my degree, study, testing, final projects, and travel limited my responsiveness to the opportunity.

Manager In Training Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Sam's Club.

The process was fairly quick for me. I met with a recruiter at a conference in Atlanta during undergrad. At all levels, it was behavioral/situational questions.First, I was screened (about 15-20 minutes) face-to-face by a recruiter. She then passed me on to the next recruiter, a regional level, and that interview lasted about 30-45 minutes. After that, I met with the next level recruiter and again, it lasted about 30-45 minutes. Lastly, the second recruiter called me and informed that I had an offer. I imagine that the process would take a couple of weeks-a month when outside of a conference setting due to scheduling, etc. The recruiters were really nice, and answered my questions before and after the process. I only wish that they had painted a more accurate picture of the training program and job position thereafter. Just remember, it's retail!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Wal-Mart has already set the salary level. The only additional amount that can possibly be negotiated is a signing bonus post training.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!