Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.7

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2014.

Multiple behavioral interviews, a presentation on a project, and a leader less interview. The night before is a dinner where you meet some executives. The leader less interview is a test where you are given a schematic without any direction and told to find the parts from the given parts and to build the device on the schematic.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project where it did not succeed and why? What could you have done differently to make this project a success.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2014.

-Applied through the career center at the university. Be sure to include a cover letter, resume, and transcript. Also be sure to link in your LinkedIn account through your samsung career account.
    -Received an email a couple of weeks later from a recruiter about a possible phone interview. In the email they asked several questions about your GPA, availability, expected salary, and if your legally allowed to work in the U.S.
    -Had a phone interview a week later basically asking the same questions. Recruiter asked why you wanted to work at SAS and if you have done any research in semiconductor materials.
    -Had interview 2 months later onsite at SAS. The first day consisted of a group presentation about the company and employee benefits. We then drove down to a restaurant to eat dinner with several current engineers and executives. Be sure to ask questions and ask for some advice. Really good people to talk to and are very helpful.
    -Second day actually consisted of onsite interview itself. Two panel interviews with first panel about your senior design project and the other behavioral questions. Be sure to include lots of real life examples for each question asked. Then was given a tour of the FAB and continued over the employee benefits. Then the last part of the interview was a group interview. Each group was tasked with a project and had to show teamwork. The interview concluded from there.
    -Received a phone call a week later and accepted offer.
    -The interviewer were really nice and were really happy to answer any questions during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about you design project.
      2. Tell me about a time you used your engineering knowledge to solve a problem outside of school.
      3. Tell me about a time when you were in a difficult situation. How did you handle it?
      4. Tell me how you would learn something in 5 days.

Answer Question
    Didn't need to negotiate. Very fair and competitive pay.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

During the interview process, each candidate interviews first with one of the 3-4 recruiters at the company for 30 minutes. The recruiter will collect all paperwork, then answer questions about benefits. After that, the interviews are "Panel type" where 3-4 people will meet with each person for one hour. Expect there to be at least 2 of these. After that, the recruiter will call and make an offer if the team likes you. Background/Drug Screen, Hire date.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in as much detail as possible the most technical thing you understand.   View Answer
    They make an initial offer very close to what the final will be. There isn't much room to negotiate.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2014.

Got a call from the recruiter to set up and interview. The interview process was very efficient. The interview was short -- half an hour with the recruiter, and two 45 minute panels of three interviewers each. 5/6 interviewers were managers, only one was an engineer and he was not doing the job I was being interviewed for. They asked a lot of behavioral type questions, not terribly difficult technically. They are looking to see if you're the type of person who is going to hang around late, come in on weekends, and answer your phone at night. The impression I got from the questions asked were that most of the criticisms on glassdoor were spot on -- they don't want to implement your ideas, they'd rather tell you what to do and have you do it, they want people who will work all the time, they use odd systems that are difficult to learn and navigate. The recruiting department was refreshingly professional compared to other companies I have dealt with during my job search.

Interview Questions

The offer was mediocre and they were not willing to negotiate. It was not worth the time and stress involved to take the job IMO.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2014.

I applied online through their website. After a month I was contacted by phone from one of the equipment engineers. Had a brief discussion about my resume and then was told I would be contacted by HR to set up on-site or Skype interview. About a week and a half later, HR emailed to set up an initial phone screening. During the phone call, they asked some basic screening questions, (why do you want to work here, why leaving, renting or own a home, how did I learn about the job, salary expectations.) At the end I was asked whether I wanted to come in for a on-site or Skype interview, so I said on-site. Scheduled the trip for 3 weeks later. Was flown in the night before, and had interview next morning, and flew back that evening. The interview consisted of 2 panels of 3 people each, roughly 45 mins each panel. It was senior engineers and one senior manager. The hiring manager wasn't there which seemed off. Mostly behavioral based questions and questions about my resume. Was told that I would be contacted in about a week to say whether or not I got the job. About a week and half later, got an email saying I wasn't selected.

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Very short interview process. First night was a informal meet and greet dinner with managers. The dinner was not judged and most managers were not hiring managers. The next day, there are only two 30 minute interviews and one team building exercise. The rest of the time was presentations and a tour of the facility. One interview was more technical about your experience while the other was behavioral. Both are very easy if you have good interviewing skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Group interview. one hour per group. Usually total of two groups. First group usually peer and immediate team leads and engineers, second group upper managers and MTS. Almost no technical questions at all, lots and lots of behavioral questions. Such as tell me a time where a project when wrong and what did you do? and etc How would you contribute to our team? how would you implement and integrate new things? What do you do when you are very stressed.

Interview Questions

Highest turn-over I have seen. People last only few months. Engineers during the interview were stressed and expressed that they are overloaded. From what I gathered, people have no personal life/. work hard but Koreans get all the credits.

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

Applied through my school's recruiting page for engineers. Within a week received emails from HR requesting a phone screen. Set it up for the following day. At the end of the screening I was invited to the 2-day interview process. Day 1 was a briefing of the interview process followed by dinner with many of the younger engineers and a few managers. Day 2 gave a more detailed briefing of SAS and what they actually do followed by the actual in person interviews. Two individual panels and a group panel.

Individual panels - one was all about my senior design project; the other asked about team related situations.
    Group panel - simple observation by engineer and HR as they watch your team do a team building activity.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you motivated someone outside of school?

Assume you're given 3 days to do a task you know takes a week (5 days) to do, how do you finish the task?

View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. Better offer than other companies. More than I will need fresh out of college.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in January 2014.

I applied online site, They contacted me in 3 weeks. I got tow phone interviews and they made a decision in 1 week.