Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corp Engineer Interview

Corp Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Question – Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Entry Level CORP Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Interview Details – Very short interview process. First night was a informal meet and greet dinner with managers. The dinner was not judged and most managers were not hiring managers. The next day, there are only two 30 minute interviews and one team building exercise. The rest of the time was presentations and a tour of the facility. One interview was more technical about your experience while the other was behavioral. Both are very easy if you have good interviewing skills.

Interview Question – How do you raise team morale   Answer Question

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Entry Level CORP Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through my school's recruiting page for engineers. Within a week received emails from HR requesting a phone screen. Set it up for the following day. At the end of the screening I was invited to the 2-day interview process. Day 1 was a briefing of the interview process followed by dinner with many of the younger engineers and a few managers. Day 2 gave a more detailed briefing of SAS and what they actually do followed by the actual in person interviews. Two individual panels and a group panel.

Individual panels - one was all about my senior design project; the other asked about team related situations.
Group panel - simple observation by engineer and HR as they watch your team do a team building activity.

Interview Question – Describe a time you motivated someone outside of school?

Assume you're given 3 days to do a task you know takes a week (5 days) to do, how do you finish the task?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Better offer than other companies. More than I will need fresh out of college.

Engineer III Interview

Engineer III
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in July 2011.

Interview Details – Worked with a recruiter. Lined up my interview on a particular day. Samsung flew me out to Austin, provided me a rental car, hotel, and meals. The day of the interview they had a number of interviews lined up. In the morning they provided a simple breakfast during which time you started filling out an application. Then came the first interview. That interview did not go well, nor do I remember much of it - it was with a team I didn't care for. After that was another interview with a team I was interested in. The mood of that interview was much lighter and friendly. Though they asked difficult questions, it wasn't an interrogation. For lunch Samsung provided a nice spread and had interviewers join us so we could ask more relaxed questions. Following lunch I was invited on a field walk where I got to see many interesting things and peaked my interest to work for Samsung. Overall, the atmosphere was friendly and professional after that first interview.

Interview Question – Explain in detail a process improvement that you personally developed and how did that improvement turn out?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I told the recruiter the salary I was looking for. They offered me $1,000 less than my offer. Since I had over-shot my original offer, I accepted. From interview to offer to acceptance took five days tops.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Senior Process Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Interview Details – Group interview. one hour per group. Usually total of two groups. First group usually peer and immediate team leads and engineers, second group upper managers and MTS. Almost no technical questions at all, lots and lots of behavioral questions. Such as tell me a time where a project when wrong and what did you do? and etc How would you contribute to our team? how would you implement and integrate new things? What do you do when you are very stressed.

Interview Question – What would you do facing an impossible deadline?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Highest turn-over I have seen. People last only few months. Engineers during the interview were stressed and expressed that they are overloaded. From what I gathered, people have no personal life/. work hard but Koreans get all the credits.

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online site, They contacted me in 3 weeks. I got tow phone interviews and they made a decision in 1 week.

Interview Question – Just behavior questions   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had multiple phone interviews, then in person interview with HR, then panel interview with multiple supervisors & team members. The interview was primarily behavioral, with surprisingly little concentration on technical matters.

The long hours involved were mentioned multiple times, and when combined with the stories told to me by former employees, it was clear that there is no such thing as work-life balance there. My discussions with HR regarding compensation indicate that I would be taking a pretty severe cut in $/hr, even if I got a significant overall increase in salary.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Technician Interview

Senior Engineering Technician
Austin, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview style was a "round robin" for an hour. Approxiamately 55 minutes of questions by four people ( 2 supervisors, 1 team leader, 1 dept director)

Interview Question – If you were a supervisor (TR), how would you disseminate or motivate your team to perform or complete an impossible task or objective assigned to you by upper management?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Was given the maximum they had for that position.

Senior Staff Interview

Senior Staff
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2009.

Interview Details – Tough questions from some of the best engineers in the field. Long interview day, but learning goes both directions. Good energy and fun teams.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the latest technology, <blah>? (Such as latest C++ language specs, hardware designs, etc)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was outstanding. No need to negotiate.

Engineering Technician Interview

Engineering Technician
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process took a little over 1 month. The interview process was pretty simple, if you have experience with troubleshooting electromechanical equipment. The Standard Interview questions were asked such as "What do you feel like you bring to a team" and the like. I was also asked what types of test equipment I had used in the past , basic electronic theory, as well as some mechanical questions. The interviewer then asked me to describe a couple of situations where I had to troubleshoot a serious problem.

Interview Question – Describe, in detail, a situation in which you had to troubleshoot a large scale electronic system problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They were very rigid on what they would offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samsung Austin Semiconductor interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Samsung Austin Semiconductor employees and interview candidates.