Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corp Engineer Interview

Starts out by information session and then a dinner. The second day consist of being interviewed by to different panels of supervisors, group project and tour of the facility. The question consist of behavioral questions and some technical to figure out how you approached the problem and solved.

Interview Questions
  • What would be the best area for you to work in. Hard to say coming out of college and not knowing exactly which area you want to focus on right away. The CORP helps you to figure out which area is best for you but to answer it during an interview is difficult.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2014.

Multiple behavioral interviews, a presentation on a project, and a leader less interview. The night before is a dinner where you meet some executives. The leader less interview is a test where you are given a schematic without any direction and told to find the parts from the given parts and to build the device on the schematic.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project where it did not succeed and why? What could you have done differently to make this project a success.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2014.

-Applied through the career center at the university. Be sure to include a cover letter, resume, and transcript. Also be sure to link in your LinkedIn account through your samsung career account.
    -Received an email a couple of weeks later from a recruiter about a possible phone interview. In the email they asked several questions about your GPA, availability, expected salary, and if your legally allowed to work in the U.S.
    -Had a phone interview a week later basically asking the same questions. Recruiter asked why you wanted to work at SAS and if you have done any research in semiconductor materials.
    -Had interview 2 months later onsite at SAS. The first day consisted of a group presentation about the company and employee benefits. We then drove down to a restaurant to eat dinner with several current engineers and executives. Be sure to ask questions and ask for some advice. Really good people to talk to and are very helpful.
    -Second day actually consisted of onsite interview itself. Two panel interviews with first panel about your senior design project and the other behavioral questions. Be sure to include lots of real life examples for each question asked. Then was given a tour of the FAB and continued over the employee benefits. Then the last part of the interview was a group interview. Each group was tasked with a project and had to show teamwork. The interview concluded from there.
    -Received a phone call a week later and accepted offer.
    -The interviewer were really nice and were really happy to answer any questions during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about you design project.
      2. Tell me about a time you used your engineering knowledge to solve a problem outside of school.
      3. Tell me about a time when you were in a difficult situation. How did you handle it?
      4. Tell me how you would learn something in 5 days.

Answer Question
    Didn't need to negotiate. Very fair and competitive pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.

Corp Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

First, a phone interview where the recruiter asked me some very basic questions. I was then invited to an onsite interview immediately on the phone. They take you out to dinner and the interview is the following morning. The onsite interview included a panel interview with HR, another panel interview where I presented my senior design project, and a team interview.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a more efficient way to do something and your supervisor instructed you to complete the task using a method that is obviously less efficient, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

SAS seems to hire a large class of engineers, but manages to have very high turnover rates. They have a reputation for working there incoming engineers long hours and sometimes on odd shifts.

Corp Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in August 2013.

Starts with a phone call from HR with some screening questions about your resume, work that you've done, especially teamwork. Afterwards, invited to info session with some other candidates on one day, then onsite interview panels and tour the next. The info session was very informative about the company, what they make, and some questions you will be asked. Next day, interview on-location with two panels. One for why you want to work there, and about yourself. The other about your senior design project you completed. I was very happy to talk to both panels. Finally, wrap up with a tour from another entry-level engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Samsung and not one of its competitors?   Answer Question
    You don't need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2012.

Started with phone screening and then invited for 2 day interview. First night was dinner with current employees followed by series of on site interviews the next day

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever not met a deadline? How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2012.

First was a general HR phone interview. Some basics such as location and about some stuff on the resume. Then was invited for a second round on site interview.

The second round interview was preceded the previous day by a dinner at their expense. Then when interview day arrived we were scheduled to 1 group interview, 1 one to one interview, and a couple of tours.

Interview Questions
    • Not too bad on questions. Some of them are general HR question. For ex: Tell me about a time where you had conflict in your group and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2012.

Group of Engineers were brought out and given a tour of Austin and of the company. There was a group interview portion where they had us build legos and work in a group. Then there was a panel interview where three employees asked us questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked and a group but failed and how you dealt with the failure.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in February 2012.

First there was a phone screening with very basic questions. Next they bring all the candidates to Austin for a 2 day interview process. The first day was a little meeting and then dinner with the other candidates and current employees. The next day was the tours, presentations and interviews. I got a tour of Austin because I am not from the area. Other people got to go on a tour of the facilities. Then I had an interview with an HR rep and one of the engineering team leaders. Then there was a group exercise, which I did not do very well in at all. It was a great experience and very informative.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you seeked help.   Answer Question
    • Why were you interested in this job before coming to interview?   Answer Question