Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Question – Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.

Corp Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

Interview Details – First, a phone interview where the recruiter asked me some very basic questions. I was then invited to an onsite interview immediately on the phone. They take you out to dinner and the interview is the following morning. The onsite interview included a panel interview with HR, another panel interview where I presented my senior design project, and a team interview.

Interview Question – If there was a more efficient way to do something and your supervisor instructed you to complete the task using a method that is obviously less efficient, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – SAS seems to hire a large class of engineers, but manages to have very high turnover rates. They have a reputation for working there incoming engineers long hours and sometimes on odd shifts.

Corp Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in August 2013.

Interview Details – Starts with a phone call from HR with some screening questions about your resume, work that you've done, especially teamwork. Afterwards, invited to info session with some other candidates on one day, then onsite interview panels and tour the next. The info session was very informative about the company, what they make, and some questions you will be asked. Next day, interview on-location with two panels. One for why you want to work there, and about yourself. The other about your senior design project you completed. I was very happy to talk to both panels. Finally, wrap up with a tour from another entry-level engineer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Samsung and not one of its competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You don't need to negotiate.

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2012.

Interview Details – Started with phone screening and then invited for 2 day interview. First night was dinner with current employees followed by series of on site interviews the next day

Interview Question – Have you ever not met a deadline? How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2012.

Interview Details – First was a general HR phone interview. Some basics such as location and about some stuff on the resume. Then was invited for a second round on site interview.

The second round interview was preceded the previous day by a dinner at their expense. Then when interview day arrived we were scheduled to 1 group interview, 1 one to one interview, and a couple of tours.

Interview Question – Not too bad on questions. Some of them are general HR question. For ex: Tell me about a time where you had conflict in your group and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2012.

Interview Details – Group of Engineers were brought out and given a tour of Austin and of the company. There was a group interview portion where they had us build legos and work in a group. Then there was a panel interview where three employees asked us questions.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you worked and a group but failed and how you dealt with the failure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Austin, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in February 2012.

Interview Details – First there was a phone screening with very basic questions. Next they bring all the candidates to Austin for a 2 day interview process. The first day was a little meeting and then dinner with the other candidates and current employees. The next day was the tours, presentations and interviews. I got a tour of Austin because I am not from the area. Other people got to go on a tour of the facilities. Then I had an interview with an HR rep and one of the engineering team leaders. Then there was a group exercise, which I did not do very well in at all. It was a great experience and very informative.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2011.

Interview Details – The whole process interview consists of:

1- Phone screening interview: The recruiter contacted potential candidate to ask screening questions such as why SAS? What would be interest in the position? Why Austin, TX? Etc.

2- Candidate was flown over to the facility site to have onsite tour, one-to-one interview, group interview.

a- One-to-one interview: questions were very much similar to phone interview. However, they were asked more into details/depth/etc. by 3 SAS representatives/employees.

b- Group interview: Group of 5 was presented a scenario situation and asked to resolve or propose the matter after members discussion. Two SAS representatives/employees observed the interactions and gave feedbacks.

Interview Question – What would you do if the project you were in charge of which had part components to be assembled arrived later than expected?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online (Late July 2010) and 3 days later received a phone call from an HR lady who asked me some behavior questions and about my education. She then told me to go to the Samsung Job Fair at the Embassy Suite on Saturday. I was interviewed by a guy who I found out later to be one of the directors at SAS.
He asked me questions about my education and about my previous job. I received an offer 3 days after my 1:1 interview and accepted the job offer 2 weeks before my graduation (Mid August 2010).

Interview Questions

• "What school projects have you done and what was the outcome?"   Answer Question
  • What are the variables/parameters that can affect the CMP Process ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was competitive but relocation reimbursement was not so good since I have a family and lived 2500 miles away from Austin.

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2008.

Interview Details – First, there was an on-campus behavioral interview with an HR representative. After that, I got a second round interview in Austin. There was a 45 minute group activity to see how you work in a group. Then, there was a 30 minute panel interview with 4 engineers. It was primarily a behavioral interview. The rest of the day consisted of a company tour and a bus tour around Austin.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience with semiconductor fabrication?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary was very fair.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!