Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.8

CORP Engineer Training Program Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in July 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter 2 weeks before the position was supposed to start, telling me of a job fair the following Saturday. I was also asked if I knew of other students in the area that might be interested as the recruiter had "multiple positions to fill."

At the job fair, I spoke to an HR rep who already had my resume and then led me to a 1 on 1 interview. The interview was very awkward and an overall horrible experience. The interviewee was very condescending and seemed to talk down every one of my accomplishments. I did not have experience in semiconductors, even though in the job posting this was said to not be necessary, and this fact seemed to be thrown in my face and continually held against me.

I'm not sure why they even invited me in the first place, knowing previously what my major was and that I had no semiconductor experience. Overall a waste of my time.

Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2009.

had interviews with a panel of engineers

no negotiation

Principal Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2010.

behavioral-based interview. opportunity to speak about the skills and experiences relative to the responsibilities of the position and discussed what goals you're looking to achieve.

Interview Questions
    • What would your most difficult past client say you could do to improve service delivery?”   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in January 2012.

Started with a phone interview. Was invited to interview on site. Asked several behavioral questions transitioning into a few technical questions. I was notified of not having received the position in two weeks

Interview Questions
    • What class have you had the most difficulty in and why?   Answer Question

Integration Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2012.

I thought the team I interviewed was rather unfriendly - which is strange because I know a lot of people at Samsung that are really great and friendly to work with. Anyway, they wouldn't even introduce themselves before asking me questions - and one guy was like 'Is that all you did in your last job?'. Rude. So glad i didn't get the offer.

Senior Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2009.

Tough questions from some of the best engineers in the field. Long interview day, but learning goes both directions. Good energy and fun teams.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with the latest technology, <blah>? (Such as latest C++ language specs, hardware designs, etc)   Answer Question
    The offer was outstanding. No need to negotiate.

Senior Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in July 2010.

Interview style was a "round robin" for an hour. Approxiamately 55 minutes of questions by four people ( 2 supervisors, 1 team leader, 1 dept director)

Interview Questions
    • If you were a supervisor (TR), how would you disseminate or motivate your team to perform or complete an impossible task or objective assigned to you by upper management?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Was given the maximum they had for that position.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Group interview. one hour per group. Usually total of two groups. First group usually peer and immediate team leads and engineers, second group upper managers and MTS. Almost no technical questions at all, lots and lots of behavioral questions. Such as tell me a time where a project when wrong and what did you do? and etc How would you contribute to our team? how would you implement and integrate new things? What do you do when you are very stressed.

Interview Questions

Highest turn-over I have seen. People last only few months. Engineers during the interview were stressed and expressed that they are overloaded. From what I gathered, people have no personal life/. work hard but Koreans get all the credits.

Corp Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

First, a phone interview where the recruiter asked me some very basic questions. I was then invited to an onsite interview immediately on the phone. They take you out to dinner and the interview is the following morning. The onsite interview included a panel interview with HR, another panel interview where I presented my senior design project, and a team interview.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a more efficient way to do something and your supervisor instructed you to complete the task using a method that is obviously less efficient, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

SAS seems to hire a large class of engineers, but manages to have very high turnover rates. They have a reputation for working there incoming engineers long hours and sometimes on odd shifts.

Corp Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.