Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2014.

Multiple behavioral interviews, a presentation on a project, and a leader less interview. The night before is a dinner where you meet some executives. The leader less interview is a test where you are given a schematic without any direction and told to find the parts from the given parts and to build the device on the schematic.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project where it did not succeed and why? What could you have done differently to make this project a success.   Answer Question

Corp Engineer Interview

Starts out by information session and then a dinner. The second day consist of being interviewed by to different panels of supervisors, group project and tour of the facility. The question consist of behavioral questions and some technical to figure out how you approached the problem and solved.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the best area for you to work in. Hard to say coming out of college and not knowing exactly which area you want to focus on right away. The CORP helps you to figure out which area is best for you but to answer it during an interview is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in October 2014.

-Applied through the career center at the university. Be sure to include a cover letter, resume, and transcript. Also be sure to link in your LinkedIn account through your samsung career account.
    -Received an email a couple of weeks later from a recruiter about a possible phone interview. In the email they asked several questions about your GPA, availability, expected salary, and if your legally allowed to work in the U.S.
    -Had a phone interview a week later basically asking the same questions. Recruiter asked why you wanted to work at SAS and if you have done any research in semiconductor materials.
    -Had interview 2 months later onsite at SAS. The first day consisted of a group presentation about the company and employee benefits. We then drove down to a restaurant to eat dinner with several current engineers and executives. Be sure to ask questions and ask for some advice. Really good people to talk to and are very helpful.
    -Second day actually consisted of onsite interview itself. Two panel interviews with first panel about your senior design project and the other behavioral questions. Be sure to include lots of real life examples for each question asked. Then was given a tour of the FAB and continued over the employee benefits. Then the last part of the interview was a group interview. Each group was tasked with a project and had to show teamwork. The interview concluded from there.
    -Received a phone call a week later and accepted offer.
    -The interviewer were really nice and were really happy to answer any questions during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about you design project.
      2. Tell me about a time you used your engineering knowledge to solve a problem outside of school.
      3. Tell me about a time when you were in a difficult situation. How did you handle it?
      4. Tell me how you would learn something in 5 days.

Answer Question
    Didn't need to negotiate. Very fair and competitive pay.

Design Engineer Interview

Simulation language syntax for Hspice and verilog A. Circuit characters. Timing, power trade off in design. C++ and script syntax. Data structure question for hash sorting, binary search, link list and black red tree.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2014.

I applied online through their website. After a month I was contacted by phone from one of the equipment engineers. Had a brief discussion about my resume and then was told I would be contacted by HR to set up on-site or Skype interview. About a week and a half later, HR emailed to set up an initial phone screening. During the phone call, they asked some basic screening questions, (why do you want to work here, why leaving, renting or own a home, how did I learn about the job, salary expectations.) At the end I was asked whether I wanted to come in for a on-site or Skype interview, so I said on-site. Scheduled the trip for 3 weeks later. Was flown in the night before, and had interview next morning, and flew back that evening. The interview consisted of 2 panels of 3 people each, roughly 45 mins each panel. It was senior engineers and one senior manager. The hiring manager wasn't there which seemed off. Mostly behavioral based questions and questions about my resume. Was told that I would be contacted in about a week to say whether or not I got the job. About a week and half later, got an email saying I wasn't selected.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2014.

Got a call from the recruiter to set up and interview. The interview process was very efficient. The interview was short -- half an hour with the recruiter, and two 45 minute panels of three interviewers each. 5/6 interviewers were managers, only one was an engineer and he was not doing the job I was being interviewed for. They asked a lot of behavioral type questions, not terribly difficult technically. They are looking to see if you're the type of person who is going to hang around late, come in on weekends, and answer your phone at night. The impression I got from the questions asked were that most of the criticisms on glassdoor were spot on -- they don't want to implement your ideas, they'd rather tell you what to do and have you do it, they want people who will work all the time, they use odd systems that are difficult to learn and navigate. The recruiting department was refreshingly professional compared to other companies I have dealt with during my job search.

Interview Questions

The offer was mediocre and they were not willing to negotiate. It was not worth the time and stress involved to take the job IMO.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

During the interview process, each candidate interviews first with one of the 3-4 recruiters at the company for 30 minutes. The recruiter will collect all paperwork, then answer questions about benefits. After that, the interviews are "Panel type" where 3-4 people will meet with each person for one hour. Expect there to be at least 2 of these. After that, the recruiter will call and make an offer if the team likes you. Background/Drug Screen, Hire date.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in as much detail as possible the most technical thing you understand.   View Answer
    They make an initial offer very close to what the final will be. There isn't much room to negotiate.

Engineering Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2011.

Two engineers from different departments. Both were friendly and were more interested in making sure that we kept talking and not just waiting for them to engage in their questions with small answers.

Interview Questions
    • It was all pretty basic , nothing like i thought it would be. Just career goals and past experiences   View Answer
    it was them telling me what I would make, take it or leave it

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

I received an email to set up a phone screen with SAS about 2 weeks after I applied online. This was only about 10 minutes and consisted of 3 behavioral interview questions. I was asked to come on-site for an in-person interview at the end of the phone call. As others have noted, this is a two-day process. The first night is for an information session where we went over the benefits and what could help us in the interview (for instance, be detailed). We then had dinner with some of the SAS employees in order to ask questions. Everyone here was really nice and welcoming (and seemingly honest).

The next day, you either had a morning or an afternoon slot set up for a little over 4 hours. This includes lunch, two panel interviews, a tour of the fab, and a leaderless interview. The order is variable for each person. All of this has been explained to you in emails - they even tell you the beginning question for each of the panel interviews so you can prepare an answer. This all seems very basic and they really seem to want you to do well. The leaderless interview is a fun little exercise where you try to accomplish something with your teammates. I was worried about it but it was much better than I expected. Again, all of the interviewers were nice and even joked around with me which made the process much less stressful.

I got a phone call 6 business days after the interviews so you will know one way or another very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were not successful on a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.