Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.8

Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

I went thru a typical entry level interview. which consist of panel interview with engineering manages and HR rep. asked about typical semiconductor process and behavior interview questions. Got a phone call after 2 days about an offer. All entry engineers get the same pay.

Interview Questions
    All entry engineers get the same offer

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Very short interview process. First night was a informal meet and greet dinner with managers. The dinner was not judged and most managers were not hiring managers. The next day, there are only two 30 minute interviews and one team building exercise. The rest of the time was presentations and a tour of the facility. One interview was more technical about your experience while the other was behavioral. Both are very easy if you have good interviewing skills.

Corp Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in May 2014.

Initially applied for an entry level Systems Engineering position but was told about CORP by a recruiter as the recommended way to enter SAS. Started out with an on-campus interview, was invited at the end of the interview to come on-site with about 20-30 other candidates from other universities. On-site starts with an info session about SAS and benefits, then a sort of social dinner at a local restaurant with some Samsung engineers and executives (none of whom will be involved in the hiring process so just use the time to ask questions).

Interview process really starts next morning with yet another info session at breakfast, this time about Samsung in general. There are three interviews: two panel interviews staffed usually by one HR person and two engineers and a leaderless interview staffed by one HR and one engineer. There is also a facilities tour led by an engineer. The order in which these happen depends on when you get called out of the waiting room after the morning info session. I had all of my interviews before the tour.

One of the panel interviews was about why I wanted to work at SAS and some behavioral questions. The other panel interview was about my senior design project and the design and development process behind it. The leaderless interview was done with a small group of other candidates as a test of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used a skill you learned in school to solve a problem out of school.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, offer was more than I needed right out of college.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Group interview. one hour per group. Usually total of two groups. First group usually peer and immediate team leads and engineers, second group upper managers and MTS. Almost no technical questions at all, lots and lots of behavioral questions. Such as tell me a time where a project when wrong and what did you do? and etc How would you contribute to our team? how would you implement and integrate new things? What do you do when you are very stressed.

Interview Questions

Highest turn-over I have seen. People last only few months. Engineers during the interview were stressed and expressed that they are overloaded. From what I gathered, people have no personal life/. work hard but Koreans get all the credits.

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, UT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

basic questions ask about my resume, especially my senior project

Interview Questions
    • ask about my senior project and it takes me some time to explain it   Answer Question

Entry Level CORP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

Applied through my school's recruiting page for engineers. Within a week received emails from HR requesting a phone screen. Set it up for the following day. At the end of the screening I was invited to the 2-day interview process. Day 1 was a briefing of the interview process followed by dinner with many of the younger engineers and a few managers. Day 2 gave a more detailed briefing of SAS and what they actually do followed by the actual in person interviews. Two individual panels and a group panel.

Individual panels - one was all about my senior design project; the other asked about team related situations.
    Group panel - simple observation by engineer and HR as they watch your team do a team building activity.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you motivated someone outside of school?

Assume you're given 3 days to do a task you know takes a week (5 days) to do, how do you finish the task?

View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. Better offer than other companies. More than I will need fresh out of college.

Corp Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

First, a phone interview where the recruiter asked me some very basic questions. I was then invited to an onsite interview immediately on the phone. They take you out to dinner and the interview is the following morning. The onsite interview included a panel interview with HR, another panel interview where I presented my senior design project, and a team interview.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a more efficient way to do something and your supervisor instructed you to complete the task using a method that is obviously less efficient, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

SAS seems to hire a large class of engineers, but manages to have very high turnover rates. They have a reputation for working there incoming engineers long hours and sometimes on odd shifts.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in January 2014.

I applied online site, They contacted me in 3 weeks. I got tow phone interviews and they made a decision in 1 week.

Functional and Performance Modeling Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in December 2013.

It is basically research oriented question. He asked about the MSI, MOESI and some about the onwer state.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in November 2013.

Had multiple phone interviews, then in person interview with HR, then panel interview with multiple supervisors & team members. The interview was primarily behavioral, with surprisingly little concentration on technical matters.

The long hours involved were mentioned multiple times, and when combined with the stories told to me by former employees, it was clear that there is no such thing as work-life balance there. My discussions with HR regarding compensation indicate that I would be taking a pretty severe cut in $/hr, even if I got a significant overall increase in salary.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever missed a deadline, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question