Samsung Global Strategy Group Interview Questions

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Samsung Global Strategy Group

Global Strategist Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group.

The interview process usually consists of two rounds administered by both Korean and Western employees. The first round is behavioral, but is largely aimed at assessing your appearance, your ability to deal with awkward situations, your love of Samsung, and your level of interest in living in Korea. The second round is more technical. Candidates are asked to walk through a case and to create and deliver a short presentation. Business cases are similar to that of consulting interviews and presentations are evaluated for clarity and delivery method.

Interview Questions
    • You don't have any exposure to living or working in Asia. How do we know you will really want to live in Korea?   Answer Question
    Negotiation with Koreans is very very difficult. They view it as a fixed pie and every time they give you something you ask for, they lose. Based on my experience and those of my fellow colleagues, you get very little that you ask for and in the end leave the negotiation table feeling taken advantage of so that a middle manager can claim to have saved a penny for Samsung.

Global Strategist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group.

They will let you know all the steps, but on the first round be prepared to answer why you would want go to Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Not politically correct questions such as: do you have a wife, kids, girlfriend, drink habits, age, the way you look.   Answer Question
    People who negotiated too much got into trouble later when they got to Seoul as they retaliated.

Global Strategist Interview

First round is usually a fit interview with 1-2 members screening - demonstrating a good reason to join Samsung and moving to Korea is critical

Second round is a case and presentation interview

Between the two, surprisingly many people fail to show the right fit before going to the rather standard case approach.

Little to no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group in October 2011.

Standard interview for cultural fit, then presentation, then case, then offer

Interview Questions
    • if well prepared and culturally savvy, you stand a fair chance. It is getting quite competitive at the moment to get an offer though   Answer Question
    You can negotiate your base, the welcome bonus, the industry track

Global Strategist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group in July 2011.

Overall, it was a very comprehensive interview. There was a case (like you'd expect from a consulting firm), a presentation, and a series of 'fit interviews.' A lot of interest in my background and specific interests for the future. There seemed to be a lot of curiosity about my interests in Korea and my knowledge of Samsung. This was not a simple interview -- at all. I would advise anybody to take the case and presentation very seriously. I understand that this role requires a lot of presenting, so they are evaluating communication skills very seriously.

Despite the rigorous interviews, people seemed friendly and very sharp. I hope it works out for us.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group in September 2010.

The hiring process for MBAs consists of a resume and cover letter submission, first round interview that focuses on why Korea and why Samsung, and a second round interview with a case question, presentation, behavioral questions, and time for you to ask questions. The first round interviewers are generally one current Global Strategist and one Samsung recruiter from Seoul. The second round interviewers are generally one current Global Strategist, a senior Global Strategist, and two senior Koreans.

Very fair offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Samsung Global Strategy Group in November 2008.

2-stage interview. First was all about fit. Very friendly. But candidate had to drive the process. Turn up with a bunch of questions that show you've done your research, but also that give you a way of showing your personality. Second stage: case study, then presentation. Case study was very creaky. Not tight like McKinsey. Presentation was easy.

Interview Questions
    • What would you like to ask us (This was the first question)   Answer Question
    Impossible

Worked for Samsung Global Strategy Group? Contribute to the Community!