Samsung Group Interview Questions in Seoul, South Korea

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Samsung Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

Overall, it was a good interview process. First, there was the Samsung Aptitude Test. The HR interview involved questions to check personal information,communication skills and career goals. Questions asked in the technical interview were interesting, such as asking about projects I was involved in.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in November 2014.

Interview

Contacted HR through a job posting from school. HR responded right away with a few questions (making sure I am willing to work in Korea). Within a few days there was a phone interview. There was one person speaking English who was in direct contact with me. There were other people there who were not introduced. After every questioned answered, it seemed like she was translating it from English to Korean to them. There was also roughly a minute or so of Korean conversation happening. Questions were on why, why, and why. Why Samsung? Why Korea? Why this area? Also, they asked about my resume and a little about my research. After a thank you email, I waited a week without an update from HR. I emailed and found out I passed. The next step was an in-person interview. After a couple of months of planning the America visit, I met with a panel of 4 interviewers. The interview was only an hour and I was asked to present my research. Questions were primarily on my research and very little technical questions were asked. It seemed more like they wanted to get to know me. They were nice and friendly. Their English was very good. Questions were not too difficult. It was a very good experience for me. It took 1 month for them to make a decision or at least get back to me after follow-ups.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Korea? Why do you want to work at Samsung? How do you cope with stress? What are your hobbies?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group (Seoul (South Korea)) in October 2014.

Interview

1 Test and 1 Interview in Korea. Test called SSAT is pretty easy and relatively scored. So if you apply to popular position, you should get very high score on the test. Interview was very plain.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Group (Seoul (South Korea)) in June 2014.

Interview

Two interviews in one day. One on your skill and the other on yourself overall. Since I was applying for marketing interns, they give us 3 or 4 types of question which I can choose from on marketing strategy. And then it was required to submit marketing strategy in 30 minutes and after that i did presentation in front of 3 interviewers. And there was a test after two interviews on the personality. It was not very hard and the interviewers overall try to relax candidate. It was 3 to 1, 3 interviewers and 1 interviewee. One interview takes around 30 minutes but in total it takes about two and a half hours. And I was almost the first who took every interviews so it will take around three or four hours on average.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in October 2013.

Interview

One standardized test and one interview. Test is taken at a designated local school, then interview in the HQ. Interview involves personal questions as well as a presentation that you must come up with in 10 minutes or so.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had made plans with your friends and you have to work late?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Samsung Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

There are three steps during the hiring process: Admission review, technical interview, and manager interview. During 20 minutes technical interview, applier should give a presentation about what they have experienced in the field they apply in. Three or four committers asked about it. But they were not that difficult. In manager interview, chief managers may ask you about your backgrounds and may want to find out how well could you be fitted in the company and the department as well. For example, "if your supervisor keep asking you to do much work than you expected in previous week and you think you don't have enough time to handle all them up, what would you do ?" or "Do you have any plan to study more in graduate school?"

Interview Questions

• There's no tricky questions. Most of them are within the average level.   Answer Question

Manager, Global Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in September 2013.

Interview

After being informed by a headhunter that Samsung was interested in hiring for a role on a global marketing team in one of their main business divisions at their Headquarters, a 3 stage interview process proceeded. The first interview was by phone with a seemingly 'junior' employee (who spoke fairly good English) from a business division HR team. Lasting for app. 45 minutes, the standard 'get to know you' questions were mainly focused on inquiring more about my current role and background before moving on to questions directed at assessing my knowledge of the organization, the role at hand, and the strategic direction of the particular business division. The second interview was with the same HR person, but this time via skype (video conference) with 3 mid-level managers of the team I would be joining. Questions were almost identical to the first round interview. Most of the questions came from only one of the members, who was spoke English well but with a strong Korean accent. The 3rd round involved being asked to travel to the head office in Suwon for a final face to face interview. I was requested to prepare a 10-minute presentation on a topic relevant to the role I was interviewing for. When there, the interview panel consisted of all 3 members to-date, as well as 2 senior executives of the team and an interpreter. All members were Korean. One of the executives didn't speak English at all, and the other executive (Korean American) asked most of the questions. In the interview itself, the atmosphere was quite friendly and relaxed (even with a few light jokes and a lot of smiles). However, the lead up to the interview was quite formal, especially the introductions to the executives. The importance of hierarchy in Samsung was extremely clear. On a final note, there as a lot of time between the 3 interviews, and almost no communication/status updates in between, except for the final interview - I was told within 2 days that I would soon receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• While most of the questions were quite standard, some of the questions were unexpectedly personal; not intrusive, but gentle inquiries focused on my hobbies and family life. Of course, there were many questions about why I wanted to live in Korea, and what challenges did I expect I might face while living 'here'. 'Loyalty' came up in a number of questions. Specifically, why was I leaving my previous organization and what was my long term vision for my Samsung career.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very straightforward. Offer was competitive/above average. Very clear that there was not a lot of negotiating room.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

It took almost 7-9 months to get the offer on the table. There were several interview rounds (3-4 rounds with business managers/leaders + 1 presentation, 1 with 4 HR managers). Just stay confident about your skills and motivations, and be passionate about the company. Be positive and show intercultural sensitivity.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Tough salary negotiations with HR in Korea. Hang in there and stay persistent with your salary expectations until the end.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Interview

Initial HR phone interview. Communication in English from their side was not good. Difficult to understand. Initial interview includes some easy background check and querying about previous projects, work, technical platform used. Most question was from CV details. Some basic algorithm question. Post based technical question. Behavioral question. HR interview lasted up to 40 minutes.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Giheung (South Korea)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Group (Giheung (South Korea)) in December 2012.

Interview

Samsung Electronics Device Solutions; for international students in South Korea. First step was to fill out an application form (including a cover letter where they already tell you about what you should write, i.e. relationship, pros and cons, etc.) and make a 3 min video answering 3 questions: - Why did you choose to come to Korea? - What do you like the most in Korea? - Why did you apply for the Samsung Electronics Internship Program? Next step was an interview at Samsung. All the applicants were divided into 2 days and then one after the other had the interview. There were also 2 teams interviewing. Before you enter the room they watched your video and then you sat in front of 4 people. It looked like a examination but I felt comfortable in there. After that you receive an email whether you are accepted or not.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years? - Answer. - Okay. And where do you see yourself in 30 years? Some specific questions about my field (Industrial Engineering) "Can you explain the Taguchi Method?" And the most important question "Can you imagine working for Samsung after you graduate?" - Definitely, yes!   Answer Question