Samsung Group

Updated Jan 24, 2015

2.8

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Group.

First phase is a written exam. GMAT kind of thing. All the questions are easy but need to be done fast. Reasoning part seems a bit hard. But this is also the step where most applicants fail to pass to the next step. Exam result is announced in about 2 weeks. If Pass, the next step is interview session which could take between 1 and 2 hours. It consists of two sessions. The first part is interview about your personality and ambitions and missions in life. The second part is more of technical and what you did in school. (I applied for through the school where i was doing my MSc in computers.) Also needed to give a few minutes presentation of what one did in school.
    During the interview, there was nothing really difficult about it. Need to be honest and relaxed. However, the interviewers check if you know korean language and if you do it is a big plus.

Interview Questions
    • - Passing the written exam is, i think, the most difficult part of getting job to samsung (even though the exam by itself is seems so easy).   Answer Question
    As a zero year experience candidate, no negotiation was offered.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group in November 2014.

Contacted HR through a job posting from school. HR responded right away with a few questions (making sure I am willing to work in Korea). Within a few days there was a phone interview. There was one person speaking English who was in direct contact with me. There were other people there who were not introduced. After every questioned answered, it seemed like she was translating it from English to Korean to them. There was also roughly a minute or so of Korean conversation happening. Questions were on why, why, and why. Why Samsung? Why Korea? Why this area? Also, they asked about my resume and a little about my research. After a thank you email, I waited a week without an update from HR. I emailed and found out I passed. The next step was an in-person interview. After a couple of months of planning the America visit, I met with a panel of 4 interviewers. The interview was only an hour and I was asked to present my research. Questions were primarily on my research and very little technical questions were asked. It seemed more like they wanted to get to know me. They were nice and friendly. Their English was very good. Questions were not too difficult. It was a very good experience for me. It took 1 month for them to make a decision or at least get back to me after follow-ups.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in Korea? Why do you want to work at Samsung? How do you cope with stress? What are your hobbies?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

- Paper submission -> diploma(certification of graduation), foreign language score, GPA
    - Test which could check your expertise and personality, test will be proceed for 4 or 5 hours
    - Presentation for technical question, you will have a half hour to prepare
    - Engilsh conversation Test, 4~5 people will be one team
    - Interview, this will take 20~30 minutes

Interview Questions
    • What would you bring when you go to a desert island?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

resume, ssat, interview(3times)

notjing

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Samsung Group.

There are three steps during the hiring process: Admission review, technical interview, and manager interview.

During 20 minutes technical interview, applier should give a presentation about what they have experienced in the field they apply in. Three or four committers asked about it. But they were not that difficult.

In manager interview, chief managers may ask you about your backgrounds and may want to find out how well could you be fitted in the company and the department as well. For example, "if your supervisor keep asking you to do much work than you expected in previous week and you think you don't have enough time to handle all them up, what would you do ?" or "Do you have any plan to study more in graduate school?"

Interview Questions
    • There's no tricky questions. Most of them are within the average level.   Answer Question

Manager, Global Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group in September 2013.

After being informed by a headhunter that Samsung was interested in hiring for a role on a global marketing team in one of their main business divisions at their Headquarters, a 3 stage interview process proceeded. The first interview was by phone with a seemingly 'junior' employee (who spoke fairly good English) from a business division HR team. Lasting for app. 45 minutes, the standard 'get to know you' questions were mainly focused on inquiring more about my current role and background before moving on to questions directed at assessing my knowledge of the organization, the role at hand, and the strategic direction of the particular business division. The second interview was with the same HR person, but this time via skype (video conference) with 3 mid-level managers of the team I would be joining. Questions were almost identical to the first round interview. Most of the questions came from only one of the members, who was spoke English well but with a strong Korean accent. The 3rd round involved being asked to travel to the head office in Suwon for a final face to face interview. I was requested to prepare a 10-minute presentation on a topic relevant to the role I was interviewing for. When there, the interview panel consisted of all 3 members to-date, as well as 2 senior executives of the team and an interpreter. All members were Korean. One of the executives didn't speak English at all, and the other executive (Korean American) asked most of the questions. In the interview itself, the atmosphere was quite friendly and relaxed (even with a few light jokes and a lot of smiles). However, the lead up to the interview was quite formal, especially the introductions to the executives. The importance of hierarchy in Samsung was extremely clear. On a final note, there as a lot of time between the 3 interviews, and almost no communication/status updates in between, except for the final interview - I was told within 2 days that I would soon receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • While most of the questions were quite standard, some of the questions were unexpectedly personal; not intrusive, but gentle inquiries focused on my hobbies and family life. Of course, there were many questions about why I wanted to live in Korea, and what challenges did I expect I might face while living 'here'. 'Loyalty' came up in a number of questions. Specifically, why was I leaving my previous organization and what was my long term vision for my Samsung career.   View Answer
    Very straightforward. Offer was competitive/above average. Very clear that there was not a lot of negotiating room.

Technical Director Interview

1) Document review 2) Telephone Interview 3) On Site Technical Interview 4) On Site HR Interview 5) On Site Executive Interview 6) Internal HR Review

Interview Questions
    • Can you have business trip to overseas for very long time if company wants ? It could be longer than one year.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Samsung Group.

Several rounds of interview and tests. SSAT or GSAT are quite challenging. Technical interviews are not that tough but if you are lucky, your presentation may show your research areas that may match the needs of the company, which is likely to be more important.

Interview Questions
    • It's not easy to pass SSAT or GSAT. Doing the test with high integrity and consistency may be helpful   Answer Question
    Not much chance to negotiate as a un-experienced candidate. Only very experienced or PhD holders may have some chance to negotiate.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied in-person. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group.

It took almost 7-9 months to get the offer on the table.
    There were several interview rounds (3-4 rounds with business managers/leaders + 1 presentation, 1 with 4 HR managers).
    Just stay confident about your skills and motivations, and be passionate about the company.
    Be positive and show intercultural sensitivity.

Interview Questions
    Tough salary negotiations with HR in Korea. Hang in there and stay persistent with your salary expectations until the end.

Staff Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Group.

Interview was focused on previous working experiences mostly.