Samsung Group Interview Questions in Suwŏn, Kyonggi

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.5

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in November 2014.

Interview

Contacted HR through a job posting from school. HR responded right away with a few questions (making sure I am willing to work in Korea). Within a few days there was a phone interview. There was one person speaking English who was in direct contact with me. There were other people there who were not introduced. After every questioned answered, it seemed like she was translating it from English to Korean to them. There was also roughly a minute or so of Korean conversation happening. Questions were on why, why, and why. Why Samsung? Why Korea? Why this area? Also, they asked about my resume and a little about my research. After a thank you email, I waited a week without an update from HR. I emailed and found out I passed. The next step was an in-person interview. After a couple of months of planning the America visit, I met with a panel of 4 interviewers. The interview was only an hour and I was asked to present my research. Questions were primarily on my research and very little technical questions were asked. It seemed more like they wanted to get to know me. They were nice and friendly. Their English was very good. Questions were not too difficult. It was a very good experience for me. It took 1 month for them to make a decision or at least get back to me after follow-ups.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Korea? Why do you want to work at Samsung? How do you cope with stress? What are your hobbies?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in October 2013.

Interview

One standardized test and one interview. Test is taken at a designated local school, then interview in the HQ. Interview involves personal questions as well as a presentation that you must come up with in 10 minutes or so.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had made plans with your friends and you have to work late?   1 Answer

Manager, Global Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in September 2013.

Interview

After being informed by a headhunter that Samsung was interested in hiring for a role on a global marketing team in one of their main business divisions at their Headquarters, a 3 stage interview process proceeded. The first interview was by phone with a seemingly 'junior' employee (who spoke fairly good English) from a business division HR team. Lasting for app. 45 minutes, the standard 'get to know you' questions were mainly focused on inquiring more about my current role and background before moving on to questions directed at assessing my knowledge of the organization, the role at hand, and the strategic direction of the particular business division. The second interview was with the same HR person, but this time via skype (video conference) with 3 mid-level managers of the team I would be joining. Questions were almost identical to the first round interview. Most of the questions came from only one of the members, who was spoke English well but with a strong Korean accent. The 3rd round involved being asked to travel to the head office in Suwon for a final face to face interview. I was requested to prepare a 10-minute presentation on a topic relevant to the role I was interviewing for. When there, the interview panel consisted of all 3 members to-date, as well as 2 senior executives of the team and an interpreter. All members were Korean. One of the executives didn't speak English at all, and the other executive (Korean American) asked most of the questions. In the interview itself, the atmosphere was quite friendly and relaxed (even with a few light jokes and a lot of smiles). However, the lead up to the interview was quite formal, especially the introductions to the executives. The importance of hierarchy in Samsung was extremely clear. On a final note, there as a lot of time between the 3 interviews, and almost no communication/status updates in between, except for the final interview - I was told within 2 days that I would soon receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• While most of the questions were quite standard, some of the questions were unexpectedly personal; not intrusive, but gentle inquiries focused on my hobbies and family life. Of course, there were many questions about why I wanted to live in Korea, and what challenges did I expect I might face while living 'here'. 'Loyalty' came up in a number of questions. Specifically, why was I leaving my previous organization and what was my long term vision for my Samsung career.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very straightforward. Offer was competitive/above average. Very clear that there was not a lot of negotiating room.

Junior Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in April 2012.

Interview

- Do a short technical presentation on topic they give you - Short Interview with Senior Managers (regarding your personal life, nothing too personal) - Group Discussion about social issues with other candidates

Interview Questions

• Discussing about FPGA/ASIC/SoC for Modem Development   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in May 2011.

Interview

All that matters is how strong is your resume !! They do their primary filtering with the resume, and so, If you get selected for interview, chances are VERY HIGH you will get selected. The first round is the technical interview, which is very easy..only verbal questions. No solving problems/puzzles, algos, and writing code. It is ridiculous to some extent. Second round is panel interview with VPs etc executives. Again, a general discussion of why one wants to work in Samsung, in Korea, what are your plans etc..

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not. I got a 25% hike (without including the bonus!) over my past salary here in Korea. However, now I hear, I could get much if I opt for a job in US with the same quals/exp.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in March 2011.

Interview

A complete panel including experts from different fields and an HR interview you thoroughly as per your presentation of your experience, project work, course-work, etc.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Linux CPU scheduler and basic round-robin   Answer Question

FPGA Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in January 2011.

Interview

Being currently emloyed, I found a vacancy I was interested in. Using vacancy description data I found a person from appropriate department and then using company's database I found that person's contacts. I sended him my CV and received a replay in which he proposed me to arrange an interview. I was not asked to prepare something special, but I have prepared short form presentation on my experience. The interview by itself was quite informal, two managers have beeing representing the company. They were pretty surprised because of my presentation and they said that they are satisfied by my level. There was no any kind of tests at all, just explanation of my work and descussion of their work area. I had a possibility to watch an office, lab, work places and so on.

Interview Questions

• What will happened when you tell your current employer that you are going to leave?   Answer Question

My current employer has proposed me a better new contract.

Process Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied for an engineer position in March, 2010 through Samsung’s website. Their HR team contacted to me after approximately two weeks by e-mail and notified me that they want to interview me during the Samsung’s job fair in my home city. The interview took place almost two months later and they asked me just basic questions about my education, past job experience and some technical questions. At the end of this interview, they told me that I would be notified about results later. Again, after about two weeks, their HR team called me and asked to prepare some short presentation (for 10-15min) and assigned the date of next interview with technical specialists. My second interview was approximately 30min long including my presentation for 15min. After my formal presentation, they asked me about ten questions mostly related to my past projects. The interview was not very difficult. At the end, they asked me if I am interested in a one year contract as a Process Engineer in South Korea. I confirmed my interest and they invite me for two days trip to South Korea for my final interview. I prepared my extended presentation and brought it on the interview. The interview took about one hour and I was asked maybe twenty questions after that. Not all of them were technical questions. They also asked me what I know about South Korea, I am going to come with my family or alone, what I am interested in. Next day, they made a job offer to me (one year contract).

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to study Korean language?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations at all. The salary is fixed but they offer a lot of additional bonuses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in June 2009.

Interview

Resume filtering

Interview Questions

• None, 7 interviewers including big shots like VPs but no tech questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung Group (Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)) in February 2007.

Interview

0. IQ test/ Personality test (paper/ online) 1. technical interview : 4 technical manegers/ 30 minute of presentation 2. Conversation test 3. Group discusstion 4. CEO interviews : 3 CEOs

Interview Questions

• Explain and present your achievement at the graduate school.   1 Answer

Negotiation

none.