Samsung Research America

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

phone interview, routing and scheduling algorithms and power control, fixed and floating point digtal signal processing algorithms, question about details of my phd dissertation, after the first call, they sent me the offer letter, it was straightforward, the salary is non negotiable

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

There was one phone interview with the hiring manager regarding experience and one or two conceptual question. Then there was a written test consisting of coding problems on paper which was for about 1 and a half hour. Then there were 5 interviews including the normal coding questions and also had dynamic programming question. The interview was taken by the engineers, director and also VP of the lab. It is possible to break the interview into two or three parts. Like written test on one day, then remaining interviews in next two days. Then there was a homework programming question that needed to be solved and sent to the recruiter after the interview in two day or so.

Interview Questions
    • AVL balance tree question was asked to be coded during the written test   Answer Question
    It is difficult to negotiate, but I would suggest strong negotiation else it is difficult later.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed with this company a few years back. Research/Development hybrid role. People are nice but the interview process is much less technical than expected. I gave a talk to start the process and some team members asked questions around my research and presentation. Followed up by a technical interview but it was brief and seems to not have made a huge difference. Finally talked to a few management folks and HR for some logistic issue.

Interview Questions

Salary did not meet expectation

Senior Manager, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2014.

Interview loop with 4-5 employees from the team or related teams. Lasted about 5-6 hours. It was long but the people interviewing were personable. I did not get the feeling that I was being given trick questions. The discussions were very open and frank (mainly because I came in feeling like I was interviewing them as they were interviewing me)

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my base and sign on bonus. There is no stock at Samsung

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2014.

1st interview - Skype, 15 min. Asked about stuff on resume.
    2nd interview - On-site, technical, approx. 2 hours. Basic questions about data structures. Interview took approximately 2 hours, and consisted of 20 basic "define/explain what _____ is", where ____ was a common coding term like an associative array.
    This was followed by a timed 30 min. section where i had to code solutions to 5 questions.
    Finally, an hour long sessions where i wrote code on a whiteboard in response to another, more involved coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Parse a given ascii text file to create a count of all the words that appear.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Samsung Research America.

A friend recommended me and the discussion began with a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview was about 45 mins long. A couple of weeks after the phone interview I meet with the hiring manager for a 1:1 in person interview. A couple of weeks after that I was bought in to interview with 6 people.

Interview Questions
    • Part of the interview process was to present to the team my prior work. As an analyst, my prior work is all proprietary and confidential. So instead I presented my general work process. That worked okay.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Phone call with recruiter and onsite meeting with team

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate but recommend you do

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2014.

the interview process is really poor , not organized and it does reflect weak managment

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview

Director Interview

Approximately 3 rounds - phone interview, on-site hiring manager and team interview, exec interview (VP, SVP level). Helps to work via internal recruiters to best position yourself

Interview Questions
    • Describe an instance in the past where your efforts on the job proved a failure and how you dealt with the situation   Answer Question

Worked for Samsung Research America? Contribute to the Community!