Samsung Research America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

Interview Details – There was one phone interview with the hiring manager regarding experience and one or two conceptual question. Then there was a written test consisting of coding problems on paper which was for about 1 and a half hour. Then there were 5 interviews including the normal coding questions and also had dynamic programming question. The interview was taken by the engineers, director and also VP of the lab. It is possible to break the interview into two or three parts. Like written test on one day, then remaining interviews in next two days. Then there was a homework programming question that needed to be solved and sent to the recruiter after the interview in two day or so.

Interview Question – AVL balance tree question was asked to be coded during the written test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is difficult to negotiate, but I would suggest strong negotiation else it is difficult later.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

Interviewed at Samsung Research America

Interview Details – Interviewed with this company a few years back. Research/Development hybrid role. People are nice but the interview process is much less technical than expected. I gave a talk to start the process and some team members asked questions around my research and presentation. Followed up by a technical interview but it was brief and seems to not have made a huge difference. Finally talked to a few management folks and HR for some logistic issue.

Interview Question – Given you current job, why would you consider us?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary did not meet expectation

Senior Manager, Program Management Interview

Senior Manager, Program Management
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview loop with 4-5 employees from the team or related teams. Lasted about 5-6 hours. It was long but the people interviewing were personable. I did not get the feeling that I was being given trick questions. The discussions were very open and frank (mainly because I came in feeling like I was interviewing them as they were interviewing me)

Interview Question – What do you need your manager for?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my base and sign on bonus. There is no stock at Samsung

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2014.

Interview Details – 1st interview - Skype, 15 min. Asked about stuff on resume.
2nd interview - On-site, technical, approx. 2 hours. Basic questions about data structures. Interview took approximately 2 hours, and consisted of 20 basic "define/explain what _____ is", where ____ was a common coding term like an associative array.
This was followed by a timed 30 min. section where i had to code solutions to 5 questions.
Finally, an hour long sessions where i wrote code on a whiteboard in response to another, more involved coding question.

Interview Question – Parse a given ascii text file to create a count of all the words that appear.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview Details – A friend recommended me and the discussion began with a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview was about 45 mins long. A couple of weeks after the phone interview I meet with the hiring manager for a 1:1 in person interview. A couple of weeks after that I was bought in to interview with 6 people.

Interview Question – Part of the interview process was to present to the team my prior work. As an analyst, my prior work is all proprietary and confidential. So instead I presented my general work process. That worked okay.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview Details – Phone call with recruiter and onsite meeting with team

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just talk about your resume   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate but recommend you do

Very Easy Interview

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2014.

Interview Details – the interview process is really poor , not organized and it does reflect weak managment

Interview Question – there is no specific difficult questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – nothing, all related with resume/experience   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

Interviewed at Samsung Research America

Interview Details – Approximately 3 rounds - phone interview, on-site hiring manager and team interview, exec interview (VP, SVP level). Helps to work via internal recruiters to best position yourself

Interview Question – Describe an instance in the past where your efforts on the job proved a failure and how you dealt with the situation   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Samsung Research America in June 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted a HR manager, went through couple interviews, got an offer

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions
Mostly just basic algo. questions
  Answer Question

Worked for Samsung Research America? Contribute to the Community!