Samsung Research America

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2015.

Took 1 week. My professor referred my resume. Within a week got a call from a person in a very senior post for phone interview. Scheduled a time and took the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • I prepared for architecture as it was related to architecture post. But the questions were mainly in three categfories: my work--what I did, how I did, explain of the algorithm I used.
      Programming: OOP, virtual functions, template, generics, struct etc
      Data structure: BST, Graph, How to find a cycle in a graph.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Recruiter found me from LinkedIn and had an opportunity to have interview. To set up phone interview, it took about a 1 week. After passing the phone interview finally, I was invited to the onsite interview with four managers. After onsite interview, it took about 2 weeks to receive offer from Samsung.

User Experience Designer Interview

A phone interview with a hiring manager and in person I terview. In the in person interview, I had a presentation, three 30 min behavioral interview. They ignored emails after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asking for different scenarios of how I solved a problem. One of the interviewer was rude, and don't have any idea of what the industry do.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

phone interview, routing and scheduling algorithms and power control, fixed and floating point digtal signal processing algorithms, question about details of my phd dissertation, after the first call, they sent me the offer letter, it was straightforward, the salary is non negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Research America in September 2014.

Post resume on School Job Fair, got invitation to conduct interview on campus.

No difficult problems.
    But met some open ended questions to talk about optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How to optimize the calculation conducted on a series of CPUs given the context.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Research America in September 2014.

I got contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Gave me the usual spiel about their potential and why I would be a great fit. We followed up with a phone screen, phone technical with the hiring manager and onsite interview with 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were fairly normal and I breezed through them. NDA got my hands tied.   Answer Question

Felt a lack of disorganization when I was there. It took them 2-3 weeks to come up with a decision, when I breezed through every single interview. That made me feel like it was a big mess there and I had other offers lined up.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed with this company a few years back. Research/Development hybrid role. People are nice but the interview process is much less technical than expected. I gave a talk to start the process and some team members asked questions around my research and presentation. Followed up by a technical interview but it was brief and seems to not have made a huge difference. Finally talked to a few management folks and HR for some logistic issue.

Interview Questions

Salary did not meet expectation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Research America in July 2014.

there's an initial phone interview with recruiter. If you pass that, they show your resumes to hiring managers, if people like your resume, you'll have a phone interview with an engineer. After that you'll come for a full day, which is a series of 1 on 1 technical interviews. Backend team is a scala shop, and interview questions are very advanced.

Interview Questions
    • Build in Scala a datatype similar to defaultdict in python   View Answer
    they made me an offer, I asked for 20% more. They said yes, I accepted

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2014.

1st interview - Skype, 15 min. Asked about stuff on resume.
    2nd interview - On-site, technical, approx. 2 hours. Basic questions about data structures. Interview took approximately 2 hours, and consisted of 20 basic "define/explain what _____ is", where ____ was a common coding term like an associative array.
    This was followed by a timed 30 min. section where i had to code solutions to 5 questions.
    Finally, an hour long sessions where i wrote code on a whiteboard in response to another, more involved coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Parse a given ascii text file to create a count of all the words that appear.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Research America.

A friend recommended me and the discussion began with a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview was about 45 mins long. A couple of weeks after the phone interview I meet with the hiring manager for a 1:1 in person interview. A couple of weeks after that I was bought in to interview with 6 people.

Interview Questions
    • Part of the interview process was to present to the team my prior work. As an analyst, my prior work is all proprietary and confidential. So instead I presented my general work process. That worked okay.   Answer Question