Samsung Research America

2.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Samsung Research America in September 2014.

I got contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Gave me the usual spiel about their potential and why I would be a great fit. We followed up with a phone screen, phone technical with the hiring manager and onsite interview with 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were fairly normal and I breezed through them. NDA got my hands tied.   Answer Question

Felt a lack of disorganization when I was there. It took them 2-3 weeks to come up with a decision, when I breezed through every single interview. That made me feel like it was a big mess there and I had other offers lined up.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2014.

1st interview - Skype, 15 min. Asked about stuff on resume.
    2nd interview - On-site, technical, approx. 2 hours. Basic questions about data structures. Interview took approximately 2 hours, and consisted of 20 basic "define/explain what _____ is", where ____ was a common coding term like an associative array.
    This was followed by a timed 30 min. section where i had to code solutions to 5 questions.
    Finally, an hour long sessions where i wrote code on a whiteboard in response to another, more involved coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Parse a given ascii text file to create a count of all the words that appear.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2014.

Interview loop with 4-5 employees from the team or related teams. Lasted about 5-6 hours. It was long but the people interviewing were personable. I did not get the feeling that I was being given trick questions. The discussions were very open and frank (mainly because I came in feeling like I was interviewing them as they were interviewing me)

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my base and sign on bonus. There is no stock at Samsung

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Samsung Research America in June 2013.

Contacted a HR manager, went through couple interviews, got an offer

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions
      Mostly just basic algo. questions
        Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Samsung Research America in April 2013.

Coordination - Very professional. The coordinator contacted me, answered all my questions. She did not know one of the answers so got me in touch with the recruiter.
    I have never had an experience with such a professional recruiter - She knew more than the website could ever explain. The culture, the team structure, the organization structure, what to expect, how to expect, what to expect during interview, the time frame.

Result - Though, I did not get an offer. The recruiter was polite enough to call me, and give me the briefing of the role, which I truly respect.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle stress. I did get a little nervous, but the the interviewer did not make me feel that I was blowing the question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

interview was technical , core java, design patterns and projects.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

There was one phone interview with the hiring manager regarding experience and one or two conceptual question. Then there was a written test consisting of coding problems on paper which was for about 1 and a half hour. Then there were 5 interviews including the normal coding questions and also had dynamic programming question. The interview was taken by the engineers, director and also VP of the lab. It is possible to break the interview into two or three parts. Like written test on one day, then remaining interviews in next two days. Then there was a homework programming question that needed to be solved and sent to the recruiter after the interview in two day or so.

Interview Questions
    • AVL balance tree question was asked to be coded during the written test   Answer Question
    It is difficult to negotiate, but I would suggest strong negotiation else it is difficult later.

Content Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Research America.

The single worst interviewing experience. One phone screen with hiring manager then an onsite via a panel (group) interview. Phone screen: hiring manager was in the process of moving so was on his cellphone-- clearly wasn't paying attention and I could barely hear what he was saying. Group interview is something new to the team and nobody knew how to do it. Sat in the room being asked the same question over and over by new team members as they joined and left. Met hiring manager who proceeded to ask me random question (favorite bands, etc) the entire time. Just awful.

Interview Questions
    • The group/panel method is really poorly executed-- not sure why they think it is a good method for interviewing new candidates. Just be prepared for the most awkward 3 hours of your life.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Samsung Research America in June 2012.

Hiring manager called for phone interview and asked basic details about my current job details. And he called me for onsite interview.

Onsite interview consisted of 5-6 30mins interview. Each interviewer would ask technical questions. Overall fun interview.

Interview Questions
    Haven't gotten to the negotiation phase yet.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Samsung Research America in April 2012.

SISA uses a one day interview process. Candidates give a 30 minute talk and then talk one-on-one with around 6 current employees. Lunch is typically a more casual discussion with one or two team members.
    In my case I know several of the team members beforehand, and had an informal lunch meeting with one of them before formally applying. After deciding to proceed with the formal interview the process was fairly streamlined: I had a one day interview (talk plus one-on-ones) and received an offer shortly afterward.
    The formal interview process at the time seemed a little ad hoc; the recruiter forgot to mention that I would need to give a presentation, so I was somewhat surprised when expected to give a talk first thing in the morning. Luckily I regularly give talks about my work and so had plenty of talk materials to choose from.
    Now that I can see behind the curtain, a big issue with the interview process is that the recruiters are overloaded; SISA as a whole is growing so fast that they have a _lot_ of candidates to juggle. As a result, do yourself a favor and contact the employee (not recruiter) who contacted you and work with them to find out exactly what to expect the day of the interview. They have more time to help you figure out exactly what to expect.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my previous work, what I had contributed to previous projects, what types of work I enjoyed, why I wanted to work at Samsung, and how I wanted my career to proceed in the future.   Answer Question