Samsung Research America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

Interview Details – There was one phone interview with the hiring manager regarding experience and one or two conceptual question. Then there was a written test consisting of coding problems on paper which was for about 1 and a half hour. Then there were 5 interviews including the normal coding questions and also had dynamic programming question. The interview was taken by the engineers, director and also VP of the lab. It is possible to break the interview into two or three parts. Like written test on one day, then remaining interviews in next two days. Then there was a homework programming question that needed to be solved and sent to the recruiter after the interview in two day or so.

Interview Question – AVL balance tree question was asked to be coded during the written test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is difficult to negotiate, but I would suggest strong negotiation else it is difficult later.

Senior Manager, Program Management Interview

Senior Manager, Program Management
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview loop with 4-5 employees from the team or related teams. Lasted about 5-6 hours. It was long but the people interviewing were personable. I did not get the feeling that I was being given trick questions. The discussions were very open and frank (mainly because I came in feeling like I was interviewing them as they were interviewing me)

Interview Question – What do you need your manager for?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my base and sign on bonus. There is no stock at Samsung

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2014.

Interview Details – 1st interview - Skype, 15 min. Asked about stuff on resume.
2nd interview - On-site, technical, approx. 2 hours. Basic questions about data structures. Interview took approximately 2 hours, and consisted of 20 basic "define/explain what _____ is", where ____ was a common coding term like an associative array.
This was followed by a timed 30 min. section where i had to code solutions to 5 questions.
Finally, an hour long sessions where i wrote code on a whiteboard in response to another, more involved coding question.

Interview Question – Parse a given ascii text file to create a count of all the words that appear.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Samsung Research America in June 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted a HR manager, went through couple interviews, got an offer

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions
Mostly just basic algo. questions
  Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Samsung Research America in April 2013.

Interview Details – Coordination - Very professional. The coordinator contacted me, answered all my questions. She did not know one of the answers so got me in touch with the recruiter.
I have never had an experience with such a professional recruiter - She knew more than the website could ever explain. The culture, the team structure, the organization structure, what to expect, how to expect, what to expect during interview, the time frame.

Result - Though, I did not get an offer. The recruiter was polite enough to call me, and give me the briefing of the role, which I truly respect.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress. I did get a little nervous, but the the interviewer did not make me feel that I was blowing the question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Samsung Research America in January 2013.

Interview Details – interview was technical , core java, design patterns and projects.

Interview Question – core java concepts in threading   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in April 2012.

Interview Details – SISA uses a one day interview process. Candidates give a 30 minute talk and then talk one-on-one with around 6 current employees. Lunch is typically a more casual discussion with one or two team members.
In my case I know several of the team members beforehand, and had an informal lunch meeting with one of them before formally applying. After deciding to proceed with the formal interview the process was fairly streamlined: I had a one day interview (talk plus one-on-ones) and received an offer shortly afterward.
The formal interview process at the time seemed a little ad hoc; the recruiter forgot to mention that I would need to give a presentation, so I was somewhat surprised when expected to give a talk first thing in the morning. Luckily I regularly give talks about my work and so had plenty of talk materials to choose from.
Now that I can see behind the curtain, a big issue with the interview process is that the recruiters are overloaded; SISA as a whole is growing so fast that they have a _lot_ of candidates to juggle. As a result, do yourself a favor and contact the employee (not recruiter) who contacted you and work with them to find out exactly what to expect the day of the interview. They have more time to help you figure out exactly what to expect.

Interview Question – I was asked about my previous work, what I had contributed to previous projects, what types of work I enjoyed, why I wanted to work at Samsung, and how I wanted my career to proceed in the future.   Answer Question

Content Services Manager Interview

Content Services Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview Details – The single worst interviewing experience. One phone screen with hiring manager then an onsite via a panel (group) interview. Phone screen: hiring manager was in the process of moving so was on his cellphone-- clearly wasn't paying attention and I could barely hear what he was saying. Group interview is something new to the team and nobody knew how to do it. Sat in the room being asked the same question over and over by new team members as they joined and left. Met hiring manager who proceeded to ask me random question (favorite bands, etc) the entire time. Just awful.

Interview Question – The group/panel method is really poorly executed-- not sure why they think it is a good method for interviewing new candidates. Just be prepared for the most awkward 3 hours of your life.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Samsung Research America in March 2012.

Interview Details – Went through two phone interview - one with a group member and another with the lab head. Discussion about background, what I want to do during the internship and so on. overall interesting interview.

Interview Question – Plan for summer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt negotiate.

User Experience Interview

User Experience
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Samsung Research America in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had a horrible interview experience. I went to the office twice for onsite interviews, which were completely disorganized. Here was what happened:

For the first onsite interview, the recruiter said I was to come in and meet with a specific interviewer and she provided the name of that individual. Although I found that unnecessary, I didn't want to turn down an interview opportunity interview. So on the day of, I arrived and asked for the recruiter like I was instructed. However, the recruiter never showed up to get me so I had to ask the receptionist to contact the interviewer. Eventually someone else came and it turned out that it was a group interview with 3 people instead of just one person. That caught me by surprise since I was told that I was meeting with one person for just one hour. The first thing the interviewer asked for was my work portfolio. The problem was that the recruiter never mentioned anything about a presentation so I did not bring that. For some reason, the interviewer was expecting that so he asked me to come back to present it to him and the team.

The interviewers asked questions about my work history which was all available on my resume, as well as behavioral questions about how I work under certain situations. It was all standard and nothing surprising.

At the end of the interview, the recruiter finally showed up. She was not apologetic at all for having me to wait at the lobby in the morning. Her reason was that she was in a meeting. Regardless, she should have told the receptionist about it if she couldn't make it.

At any rate, the first interviewer said that he would work with the recruiter to have me come back. I waited for a few days and did not hear anything from anyone. So I reached out to the recruiter and told her what happened. The recruiter emailed me to come back for a second onsite interview, this one was scheduled 2 weeks in advance and provided names of 5 interviewers whom I would be meeting for 30 minutes each. When I showed up for the second interview, they told me that 2 out of the 5 originally scheduled interviewers have been out of the office for that entire week, including the interviewer from the first interview who insisted on me coming back to present my work. To compensate for the one missing interviewer, they decided to have me present for 1 hr instead of 30 min as originally planned. Since I had my slides organized for 30 min, I had to ramble on to make up for the remaining time.

The second interviews were more or less the same questions asked by different people. I had to repeat myself over and over again on my work experience and my work approach to behavioral questions.

What was most upsetting was the incompetency of the recruiter. It was like she was doing her bare minimum for her job and hardly paid attention to details. For example, I had specifically stated in emails my availability, which was in the afternoon and she scheduled me to come in early in the morning - for both onsite interviews! In addition, the recruiter did not bother to update me with the progress after the interviews and I had sent her several emails to follow up. Finally 1 month after the second round of interview, she wrote back a typical boilerplate rejection reply without offering any type of feedback on why it wasn't a fit.

Interview Question – Did you bring your portfolio? (it was never communicated to me that a presentation was expected)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Samsung Research America

Worked for Samsung Research America? Contribute to the Community!