San Francisco Unified School District Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Following a lengthy application process including CBEST and CSET testing, submitting transcripts, fingerprinting/livescan, having your photo taken, answering questions, reference checking, if you are selected you go a group interview. Bring your documents, ID and official transcript showing Bachelor's Degree Completion and dress professionally. A presentation is made followed by a questions and answers period. A round table if self introductions is made, every one must speak to the group, if you cannot do this you will not survive in front of an entire class.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience teaching children?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A --this is a union job there is no negotiation for substitute teacher pay. You get the standard rate $135 per diem to start and after working so many days in the school year you may get $165 per diem.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Interview

Typical situational and behavioral interview questions. Started off with a phone interview with hiring manager, then an on-site panel interview (1 hour) with 4 panel members. Hiring decisions are similar to private industries if the position is TEX, PEX, or TPV. Selection process is way different if position is PCS...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with a complex problem. What did you do and what was the result?   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and heard back in about three weeks. The interview was straightforward and friendly, with the school principal, one of the secretaries/office administrators, and someone from the district office. Mainly, they asked about my qualifications and work experience. I was offered the job several days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult -- they didn't throw any curveballs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Though the salary was somewhat lower than I'd like, I didn't attempt to negotiate as I felt that it would be futile for a person with little experience.

Interview

In my five years of working with SFUSD, I've noticed that they have always had difficulty staffing special education teaching positions. With that said, I have little to say about the interview process because there was no interview. I filled out their job application on their PeopleSoft internal job application website. You are asked to fill out basic information about yourself, your education, and job history. Towards the end of the application, you have to attach your resume, transcripts, and answer some questions about your personal philosophy on teaching and accountability. That's pretty much it. I finally got a generic email saying 'Congratulations..." and included information about onboarding. At the time, I was being hired as an intern teacher, so they did not process my application until my intern credential was processed by the CTCC. I was in contact with the credential analyst the entire time so it was easy to follow up with them and get my application processed. This was at least a two month process though and it was over the summer, so it was more difficult to get in touch with the principal at the site I was being hired at. If you have a credential in a high need area and have good references and qualifications, I am almost certain you will not be interviewed.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter with the option to interview at several schools. I was contacted by principals at several schools. I received followups after my phone interviews to come in for a face to face teaching sample. I did a sample lesson with summer school students.

Interview Questions

• What is your most successful lesson taught and how did you know the lesson was successful?   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Minimum but paperwork for this job was rediculios. So much back and forth trying to get everything in. Once it was all in they said "Don't call us, we'll call you". I waited and waited then I went in to the offices myself to check in and they replied "Oh, it looks like you were active for 2 weeks but we never sent the email to you with your sub number." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Interview

The hiring process takes a long time. It took over a year for me to get hired due to the civil service process. However, after you are hired it is very difficult for you to be fired because of the civil service rules. Unfortunately, that has many workers complacent and lazy.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was why did I want to leave my current employer.   1 Answer

Clerk Typist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Interview

Received an email a week before the interview to schedule a time and date. On the day of the interview I met two easy going people who made the process stress-free and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Name three things that are important to you in a work place.   Answer Question
    • How would your co-workers describe you?   Answer Question
    • You are given a project that is due on the same day at 12pm and have made plans to meet with a co-worker at 12 and distribute tests in the morning. How would you handle the situation to complete all tasks?   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, NM) in October 2011.

Interview

Easy by knowledgeable people, they knew what they need versus what they didn't need. Fresh and independent person, resourcefulness, and paying attention to detail they were key element on my interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask as many questions as needed to have clarification on the process of hiring otherwise can be like a blind date "don't know what to expect"

High School Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I had a single in-person interview with the principal and administrative assistant. Since I applied during the summer to fill a late opening, I did not teach a sample lesson in front of students, but this has become standard with this school. Schools in this district have a fair amount of autonomy in determining their interview process, so it can vary by school. At this school, students are even asked for feedback on how the sample lesson went and current teachers are usually included in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• This was for a non-traditional high school that follows a project-based learning model. Many of the questions revolved around my teaching philosophy and scenario questions about how to handle difficult situations.   Answer Question