San Francisco Unified School District

Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at San Francisco Unified School District

Special Education Teacher Interview

In my five years of working with SFUSD, I've noticed that they have always had difficulty staffing special education teaching positions. With that said, I have little to say about the interview process because there was no interview. I filled out their job application on their PeopleSoft internal job application website. You are asked to fill out basic information about yourself, your education, and job history. Towards the end of the application, you have to attach your resume, transcripts, and answer some questions about your personal philosophy on teaching and accountability. That's pretty much it. I finally got a generic email saying 'Congratulations..." and included information about onboarding.

At the time, I was being hired as an intern teacher, so they did not process my application until my intern credential was processed by the CTCC. I was in contact with the credential analyst the entire time so it was easy to follow up with them and get my application processed. This was at least a two month process though and it was over the summer, so it was more difficult to get in touch with the principal at the site I was being hired at.

If you have a credential in a high need area and have good references and qualifications, I am almost certain you will not be interviewed.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter with the option to interview at several schools. I was contacted by principals at several schools. I received followups after my phone interviews to come in for a face to face teaching sample. I did a sample lesson with summer school students.

Interview Questions
    • What is your most successful lesson taught and how did you know the lesson was successful?   Answer Question

Senior Payroll & Personnel Clerk Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

The hiring process takes a long time. It took over a year for me to get hired due to the civil service process. However, after you are hired it is very difficult for you to be fired because of the civil service rules. Unfortunately, that has many workers complacent and lazy.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was why did I want to leave my current employer.   View Answer

Clerk Typist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Received an email a week before the interview to schedule a time and date. On the day of the interview I met two easy going people who made the process stress-free and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Name three things that are important to you in a work place.   Answer Question
    • How would your co-workers describe you?   Answer Question
    • You are given a project that is due on the same day at 12pm and have made plans to meet with a co-worker at 12 and distribute tests in the morning. How would you handle the situation to complete all tasks?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District in June 2010.

San Francisco Unified School District contacted me quickly. Human Resources was very friendly. They did a phone interview first, and then sent my resume to a few principals. I got a call within a day or two, and interviews set up for that very week.

n/a

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District in June 2008.

There was first screening and interviewing for the eligiblity pool, then later, an interview with a panel from the school site and a final interview with the superintendent.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe your background as it relates to this position.   Answer Question
    • If you were not going to be working in education, what field would you choose and why?   Answer Question
    I was offered one school then, after accepting the offer, the school site was changed.