San Francisco Unified School District

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

2.8

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and heard back in about three weeks. The interview was straightforward and friendly, with the school principal, one of the secretaries/office administrators, and someone from the district office. Mainly, they asked about my qualifications and work experience. I was offered the job several days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult -- they didn't throw any curveballs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Though the salary was somewhat lower than I'd like, I didn't attempt to negotiate as I felt that it would be futile for a person with little experience.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Interview

In my five years of working with SFUSD, I've noticed that they have always had difficulty staffing special education teaching positions. With that said, I have little to say about the interview process because there was no interview. I filled out their job application on their PeopleSoft internal job application website. You are asked to fill out basic information about yourself, your education, and job history. Towards the end of the application, you have to attach your resume, transcripts, and answer some questions about your personal philosophy on teaching and accountability. That's pretty much it. I finally got a generic email saying 'Congratulations..." and included information about onboarding.

At the time, I was being hired as an intern teacher, so they did not process my application until my intern credential was processed by the CTCC. I was in contact with the credential analyst the entire time so it was easy to follow up with them and get my application processed. This was at least a two month process though and it was over the summer, so it was more difficult to get in touch with the principal at the site I was being hired at.

If you have a credential in a high need area and have good references and qualifications, I am almost certain you will not be interviewed.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter with the option to interview at several schools. I was contacted by principals at several schools. I received followups after my phone interviews to come in for a face to face teaching sample. I did a sample lesson with summer school students.

Interview Questions

• What is your most successful lesson taught and how did you know the lesson was successful?   Answer Question

Senior Payroll & Personnel Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Interview

The hiring process takes a long time. It took over a year for me to get hired due to the civil service process. However, after you are hired it is very difficult for you to be fired because of the civil service rules. Unfortunately, that has many workers complacent and lazy.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was why did I want to leave my current employer.   1 Answer

Clerk Typist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at San Francisco Unified School District.

Interview

Received an email a week before the interview to schedule a time and date. On the day of the interview I met two easy going people who made the process stress-free and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Name three things that are important to you in a work place.   Answer Question
    • How would your co-workers describe you?   Answer Question
    • You are given a project that is due on the same day at 12pm and have made plans to meet with a co-worker at 12 and distribute tests in the morning. How would you handle the situation to complete all tasks?   Answer Question

High School Math Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I had a single in-person interview with the principal and administrative assistant. Since I applied during the summer to fill a late opening, I did not teach a sample lesson in front of students, but this has become standard with this school. Schools in this district have a fair amount of autonomy in determining their interview process, so it can vary by school. At this school, students are even asked for feedback on how the sample lesson went and current teachers are usually included in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• This was for a non-traditional high school that follows a project-based learning model. Many of the questions revolved around my teaching philosophy and scenario questions about how to handle difficult situations.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

San Francisco Unified School District contacted me quickly. Human Resources was very friendly. They did a phone interview first, and then sent my resume to a few principals. I got a call within a day or two, and interviews set up for that very week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a

Principal Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at San Francisco Unified School District (San Francisco, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

There was first screening and interviewing for the eligiblity pool, then later, an interview with a panel from the school site and a final interview with the superintendent.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your background as it relates to this position.   Answer Question
    • If you were not going to be working in education, what field would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered one school then, after accepting the offer, the school site was changed.