SandForce Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at SandForce in May 2012.

They asked me about adder: how to deal with the signed adder, how to deal with overflow problem.
    State machine design, to fetch a 110 pattern.
    Shifter register design.

Firmware Developer, Junior Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at SandForce in July 2011.

I'm a new college graduate. They asked me a few questions about my background and resume. Next, told me about their products and where the company is going.

There was a technical coding quiz on a shared Google Doc.

int func(int y) {
      int result=0;
      while(y) {
        y &= y - 1;
        result++;
    }
    -- what does this function do?
    --what's another way to write this?

Interview Questions
    • int func(int y) {
        int result=0;
        while(y) {
          y &= y - 1;
          result++;
      }
      -- what does this function do?
      --what's another way to write this?

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SandForce in December 2010.

The interview was only about 20 min. The person entered the room and asked about my previous experience and explained about the company.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SandForce in September 2009.

The interviewer is late and ill-prepared

I was stood up for the phone interview twice by a manager. I had the feeling that he conducted the interview since he had to and it was not his job. The technical questions asked during the interview have little to do with the job spec requirements.

Companies tend to treat candidates with more care than actual employees, this manager doesn’t have time to conduct a proper interview, he probably won’t have time to give you thorough training and regular feedback once you’re hired.

By the same token, since the interview keeps getting delayed, it usually means the company is undergoing massive changes and the job in the posting might not be the one I’d actually get. Worse, it may be an indication that the ship is sinking, thus making it one of the more alarming signs I don’t want the job.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SandForce in May 2009.

Phone screen by internal recruiter
    Long lapse
    Phone screen by hiring manager
    Traditional technical interview with manager and 3-5 staff
    Long lapse
    Phone discussion about position with manager
    Email of contract for 2 month trial as non-employee consultant at monthly rate
    Last-minute difficult heavily technical interview with CTO

The staff and manager interviews were cool, but I thought the interviewers were not very well trained in the process and feedback indicated that they jumped to conclusions about ones suitabiilty for a task without inquiry into that area.

The CTO interview was late at night, the CTO was not at all friendly, obviously very impatient with having to do the interview, and expected on-the-spot answer to a difficult algorithmic problem that should take a couple days at minimum to think through.

Interview Questions
    • 10 Gbytes of 32-bit numbers on a magnetic tape, all there from 0 to 10G in random order. You have 64 32 bit words of memory available: design an algorithm to check that each number from 0 to 10G occurs once and only once on the tape, with minimum passes of the tape by a read head connected to your algorithm.   View Answers (3)
    • Design a state machine to find a particular pattern in a serial bit stream   View Answer

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SandForce in April 2009.

I had an phone screen that lasted 45 mins or so. The hiring manager asked some technical questions. It was followed by two on-site interviews - the first one was a 2 hour interview with 2 people after which I was called in for a longer 4 hour onsite interview.

All the interviews, except the one with CTO, were not too difficult and the interviewers were nice. The CEO asked some good questions - but he intentionally made them tricky with his bad communication.

Interview Questions
    • There are two large arrays filled with random 64-bit signed numbers. How do you determine what are the common numbers in the arrays? Give an algorithm that is linear in complexity. You can use unlimited memory.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at SandForce in February 2009.

a few engineers will talk to you in turn for about half day which ends 1:45pm and you are let go to have lunch. questions are sharp and tough.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SandForce in October 2008.

Please be as detailed as possible - everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Product Management Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SandForce in April 2011.

The interviewer sprung a surprise - wanted to check my C coding readiness. Are they hurting so much for coders ?

What ? Why ? Limitations?

unsigned int funct_2(unsigned short a, unsigned short b)
    {
      unsigned int result = 0;
      while (b) {
         if (b & 0x1) {
              result += a;
         a <<= 1;
         b >>= 1;

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

The process took a dayinterviewed at SandForce in February 2011.

Was called in and was asked to answer an IQ test and then had an 1 on 1 interview