SandForce

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Milpitas, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at SandForce in May 2012.

Interview Details – They asked me about adder: how to deal with the signed adder, how to deal with overflow problem.
State machine design, to fetch a 110 pattern.
Shifter register design.

Firmware Developer, Junior Interview

Firmware Developer, Junior
Fremont, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at SandForce in July 2011.

Interview Details – I'm a new college graduate. They asked me a few questions about my background and resume. Next, told me about their products and where the company is going.

There was a technical coding quiz on a shared Google Doc.

int func(int y) {
  int result=0;
  while(y) {
    y &= y - 1;
    result++;
}
-- what does this function do?
--what's another way to write this?

Interview Question – int func(int y) {
  int result=0;
  while(y) {
    y &= y - 1;
    result++;
}
-- what does this function do?
--what's another way to write this?
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at SandForce in February 2009.

Interview Details – a few engineers will talk to you in turn for about half day which ends 1:45pm and you are let go to have lunch. questions are sharp and tough.

Interview Question – /3 clock divider   Answer Question

Saratoga, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SandForce in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was only about 20 min. The person entered the room and asked about my previous experience and explained about the company.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Saratoga, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SandForce in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewer is late and ill-prepared

I was stood up for the phone interview twice by a manager. I had the feeling that he conducted the interview since he had to and it was not his job. The technical questions asked during the interview have little to do with the job spec requirements.

Companies tend to treat candidates with more care than actual employees, this manager doesn’t have time to conduct a proper interview, he probably won’t have time to give you thorough training and regular feedback once you’re hired.

By the same token, since the interview keeps getting delayed, it usually means the company is undergoing massive changes and the job in the posting might not be the one I’d actually get. Worse, it may be an indication that the ship is sinking, thus making it one of the more alarming signs I don’t want the job.

Interview Question – Async FIFO design   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Saratoga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SandForce in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone screen by internal recruiter
Long lapse
Phone screen by hiring manager
Traditional technical interview with manager and 3-5 staff
Long lapse
Phone discussion about position with manager
Email of contract for 2 month trial as non-employee consultant at monthly rate
Last-minute difficult heavily technical interview with CTO

The staff and manager interviews were cool, but I thought the interviewers were not very well trained in the process and feedback indicated that they jumped to conclusions about ones suitabiilty for a task without inquiry into that area.

The CTO interview was late at night, the CTO was not at all friendly, obviously very impatient with having to do the interview, and expected on-the-spot answer to a difficult algorithmic problem that should take a couple days at minimum to think through.

Interview Questions

• 10 Gbytes of 32-bit numbers on a magnetic tape, all there from 0 to 10G in random order. You have 64 32 bit words of memory available: design an algorithm to check that each number from 0 to 10G occurs once and only once on the tape, with minimum passes of the tape by a read head connected to your algorithm.   View Answers (2)
  • Design a state machine to find a particular pattern in a serial bit stream   View Answer

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

ASIC Verification Engineer
Cupertino, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at SandForce in April 2009.

Interview Details – I had an phone screen that lasted 45 mins or so. The hiring manager asked some technical questions. It was followed by two on-site interviews - the first one was a 2 hour interview with 2 people after which I was called in for a longer 4 hour onsite interview.

All the interviews, except the one with CTO, were not too difficult and the interviewers were nice. The CEO asked some good questions - but he intentionally made them tricky with his bad communication.

Interview Question – There are two large arrays filled with random 64-bit signed numbers. How do you determine what are the common numbers in the arrays? Give an algorithm that is linear in complexity. You can use unlimited memory.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Saratoga, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SandForce in October 2008.

Interview Details – Please be as detailed as possible - everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Johannesburg (South Africa)

The process took a day - interviewed at SandForce in February 2011.

Interview Details – Was called in and was asked to answer an IQ test and then had an 1 on 1 interview

Interview Question – Do you think your the right person to work for us   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Product Management

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SandForce in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer sprung a surprise - wanted to check my C coding readiness. Are they hurting so much for coders ?

What ? Why ? Limitations?

unsigned int funct_2(unsigned short a, unsigned short b)
{
  unsigned int result = 0;
  while (b) {
     if (b & 0x1) {
          result += a;
     a <<= 1;
     b >>= 1;
}

Worked for SandForce? Contribute to the Community!