Sandia

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.7

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia in February 2013.

It takes forever. HR briefing. Multiple interviews with technical staff. A "technical" presentation. Why do yo have a 50 word min Glassdoor?! bla bla bla bla bla bla

Painfully slow.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia.

First off your education accomplishments are highly regarded at Sandia. Even if you have many years of experience your grades will matter when you are hired. You also have to pass a very extensive background check which actually requires investigators to personally contact people you know. I was given a tour of the facility and shown several impressive technical achievements designed and built at Sandia. Then I was interviewed by 4 different managers to see where I fit best.

Interview Questions
    • There were some very personal questions that I didn't expect. Technically the interview process was quite benign.   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but was turned down.

Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sandia in May 2012.

Initially spoke with recruiter at a career fair. Applied online. Phone interview with hiring manager. Brought on-site for two days of intense interviews. Consisted of hour-long interviews with a variety of people from the hiring organization and outside the organization. Also had a group presentation and round table Q&A with area managers. All of the staff were excellent people who would be great to work with. Excellent benefits, great work culture, nice location.

Master's Fellowship Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sandia in August 2011.

Met with 5 interviewers that day all asking about my background, what I did over the summer (I was just fresh off an internship with them), and asked if I had any questions. Not really any technical questions, all were personal queries. Interview also consisted of a free lunch. The hiring manager said to expect a decision to be made by the next month. Here I am 4 months later left hanging, wondering if they even care to finish the interview process. I even emailed the hiring manager twice. The best I ever got was, "corporate still hasn't released the amount of candidates they could hire, we'll get back to you later". Not cool.

Clerical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia in July 2011.

testing, interview with HR , interview with manager. Process took 3 months. The interview was more conversational and very relaxed. HR asked about my skills and the manager just asked a little about my background and told me about the position and the company

no negotiation

Principal Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia in June 2011.

Took forever to get in the door. Interview process was fairly simple, 4-5 different interview including one outside the hiring organization. The waiting game for the offer was fairly painful. Took about 3 months to get everything settled.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions. Hardest part was college GPA issues. If you have lower than a 3.5, plan on having to justify yourself to upper management   Answer Question
    Very limitied negotiation. They take in all your info :job experience, degrees, salary and feed it into their formula and spit out your salary. Manager actually does first round of negotiations with HR.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sandia in June 2011.

WAY easy interview - they don't ask any technical questions whatsoever. It seemed like they were pitching me to pick their group to work.

HR was kind of disorganized. I talked to a recruiter who then pointed me to a posting, then i heard from several managers, but recruiting/staffing had no idea. No one to help or direct me because there's no way to call. Total disaster but it got coordinated.

People were way to concerned about GPA at this place, bad warning sign to work there.

Interview Questions

I was impressed with the site, technologies. But talking to employees there, there's only room to climb through title. Benefits are a MAJOR decline at the national labs, raises are horrible, not much for bonuses. Technical people have been leaving and recruited from other places since the Labs can't keep good quality.

Apparently they are hiring so many people, a bunch of folks stated that the bar has lowered tremendously.

Essentially they look at college + GPA + clearance or eligibility and you're in.

Not sure - we are always told to never work for a company that doesn't do technical interviews. It's just a mess because you will be working with low caliber technical people.

PMTS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sandia in April 2011.

I initial had a telephone interview with hiring manager. He asked very general questions about my background. One particular specific question was about my people's skills And putting a large team in place to solve a technical problem. This was followed by a two day on-site interview in Albuquerque. I was picked up from the hotel by a senior engineer (pmts, same level as what I was being interviewed for). He took for breakfast. This was follwed by my presentation to an audience of about 25 people in a crowded conference room. The rest of the day was all 1:1 interview with different levels of staff. Next day, hiring manager took me for breakfast followed by a group interview at the labs. Then I had lunch with the manager and his boss (senior manager). The afternoon was spent at the humane resources.

Interview Questions
    • How will I go about picking a team to solve a technical problem with limited funding and time resources.   Answer Question
    Initial dollar amount 'twas not acceptable to me. Then after a few months, they came back with higher offer which I accepted.

Engineering Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sandia in April 2011.

I had phone interviews with the department manager and with two of his staff members. The interviews consisted of very basic technical questions along with questions about projects I've worked on.

Systems Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sandia in March 2011.

I met a recruiter at a conference and after looking at my resume, she seemed very interested. She made all the arrangements to have me fly out to interview over my Spring Break. A couple of employees took me out to breakfast, then I had 2 interviews, lunch with a couple different employees, 2 more interviews, back to the hotel. It was fairly painless. Everyone I interviewed with was very friendly and more than willing to answer all of my questions honestly. After I left my recruiter (who also arranged all the interviews and gave me a ride from my hotel to the facility and back) gave me the impression it was just of making sure I was a good fit for the company and the company was a good fit for me. I left pretty confident that I would be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to do something they didn't want to do.   Answer Question