Sandia Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Graduate StudentTechnical Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sandia.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews over the phone. Both were very engaging, asking a range of questions from what I was hoping to get out of the experience and how I tackled difficult situations to technical questions about my research. Everyone I spoke with was kind easy to talk to.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia.

Interview

I applied online (the recruiter at my school isn't exactly the most likable person, so not many people seem to talk to him). A couple months later, I got an email and set up a phone interview with my to be manager. He was really friendly and sociable. Questions were all behavioral and/or about my resume and past experiences. At the end of the interview, he basically told me that I had the position and a few days later, I got an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about project x that you did.   Answer Question
    • What has been the most difficult challenge you've faced working with a team.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia (Livermore, CA).

Interview

The interview process took quite a long time. I applied online, and got a phone screen from a hiring manager within a week. After the phone screen, he decided that he wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. By the time I finally got the in-person interview roughly 6 weeks passed. As part of the in-person interview I was told that I needed to do a 30-45 minute technical presentation. I decided on doing one from grad school rather than one from work since I didn't have to worry about potentially revealing proprietary information about work. The day started around 8:30am and lasted until about 3pm. It consisted of 1:1 interviews with the hiring manager, as well as other hiring managers who also expressed interest in possibly hiring me. The people were quite friendly and professional the entire time. After the interview, I was offered a position about 1 month later from a different hiring manager than the one that brought me in. Unfortunately, it was not the compensation that I was looking for so I decided to turn it down. I tried to negotiate with the hiring manager but the salary was a set number. All in all, my experience with Sandia was positive. There are some really nice people there and if the numbers worked out, I would've been a part of it. Eventually, I could see myself possibly re-connecting down the line with some of the people there.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experiences and what you've accomplished so far.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sandia.

Interview

The interviews started around 8am and didn't end until nearly 6pm. I talked with many different individuals, rotating on approximately an hourly basis. The individual conversations ranged in difficulty. Most of them were fairly relaxed and covered different aspects of my work and research experience. A couple of the interviewers were more difficult and asked situation-based questions. A few of the employees took me out for lunch. At a certain point, I gave an hour-long research talk (focused on my doctoral research). Since Sandia is a National Lab, they expect a fairly technical research talk. I got a lot of great feedback during the talk. Since it was later in the day, I recapped a lot of the talk in my individual interviews. But, I was able to use the presentation in the one-on-one discussions that were scheduled for the late afternoon. The interview process, itself, wasn't too difficult. But, the full day of interviews can be exhausting. Be prepared to talk about your research in many different ways. The people were very nice and easy to talk to. I had a lot of fun getting to know everyone.

Business Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sandia (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

I was flown into Albuquerque for a one-hour interview. I found it strange that they flew me in for just one hour, because it was a management position which typically involves multiple interviews. After the interview, I discovered I was the token external candidate, so they could freely hire their preferred internal candidate. If that wasn't bad enough, I also discovered that the interviewers already had a congratulatory lunch planned for the internal candidate on the day I was there. I had wanted to work at Sandia for a long time, but this experience soured me on ever working there.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge you see for coming on board?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

It was a full-day interview, which involved meeting with about 10 future colleagues, managers, directors, human resource, etc. The candidate was also required to give a one-hour research talk on a relevant subject area. The meetings with the technical people included technical discussions on several research topic areas.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experiences   1 Answer

Semiconductor Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sandia (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was with a panel of 8 people who asked a variety of fairly difficult questions. However , the overall process was somewhat ruined as they didn't get back to me at all for 3 weeks and probably wouldn't have at all had I not asked. It just seemed quite unprofessional in my opinion to fly a candidate out for an interview and to then not notify them at all.

Interview Questions

• They asked several technical questions about content on my resume totally unrelated to their field. Delving in depth on a few in ways that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sandia (Albuquerque, NM) in February 2015.

Interview

First had two phone interviews with different hiring managers in related departments. The in person interview was about 6 to 7 hours long. The first part was an interview with a hiring manager outside the department I was interviewing with. Then I gave an hour long presentation on my graduate research. Then a 1 hour panel with about 4 interviewers and a bunch of 1:1 interviews, a short tour of the department's lab, and a lunch interview. Overall, the interview was pretty standard for engineers just getting out of graduate school and applying to national laboratories. The rejection phone call came within the time period they projected. I was disappointed that the hiring manager stated he was unable to give feedback to me because of some corporate policy.

Interview Questions

• What was one major problem or hurdle you had to overcome in graduate school? They also asked about teamwork and leadership experience.   Answer Question

Structural Dynamics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia (Albuquerque, NM) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. I received a call from the group manager after 1 month and we spoke for about an hour to gauge my interest in the position. Another month went by (phone call happened around the holidays which may have drawn out this process) and I was contacted again to make arrangements for onsite interview. The process was a little disorganized (their group administrative aid was leaving Sandia that day). The onsite interview consisted of 30 min - 1 hour individual and group meetings that last all day . I was also told I had to present a 1 hour presentation and then the day of they only scheduled 30 minutes so it was extremely rushed. Following the presentation I interviewed with a panel of 5 group members. The questions asked focused mostly on technical questions with a few behavioral topics. Everyone was very nice and appeared to enjoy working there. The group manager called me after another month to follow up.

Interview Questions

• How would increase the frictional force between my cup and the table?   Answer Question
    • When was a time when you were facing a time crunch to deliver results to a customer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sandia.

Interview

Applied online, received an invitation to a lunch interview shortly after. Hiring manager and several managers from related departments attended. Informal questions, some background questions. The position and associated training were explained. Follow-up phone call two weeks later to discuss travel requirements and other duties. Decided not to pursue the position.