Sandia Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.8

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sandia.

I talked to someone at a Career Fair who directed me to apply online. I then received a call about 3 months later and got an interview. I got an offer about a week later and started about a month after that.

Interview wasn't too complicated but did last all day. I was taken on a tour of the labs and spoke with different managers that I would interface with. Only about 1 hour of the day was an actual interview.

Computer Science Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sandia.

It was just a behavioral interview. Asked questions about my resume and my interests. Not hard at all. If they choose to hire you the paper work is a nightmare because they have to do an in depth background check.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sandia.

Just like any high level scientific position. You give a talk about past work. A talk about future plans. And then meet with ~10-15 current staff scientists to discuss both their endeavors and your plans.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a sign on bonus and got one added.

Graduate Intern- Technical Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia.

informal communications lead to applying through a job post on the main page, a phone interview, and then an extensive background check and transcript submission process

Interview Questions
    student rates are set. negotiations involved type of work i was interested in

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia in December 2013.

I applied online after speaking with a representative at a University fair. They contacted me with a questionnaire regarding basic skills a couple of months later. I returned the questionnaire. About a month later I interviewed. I was told that I would hear back in a couple weeks and when I didn't I assumed I wouldn't get an offer. I didn't hear back until mid-February when I was offered a position.

No negotiation

Engineer/Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sandia.

I had an on-campus interview with two current employees. I believe I got good idea of what working there would be like, both daily and long-term. The engineers were professional, sincere and welcoming, and they asked me some technical questions; it was a very fair evaluation on both sides.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your proposal is met with an absolute, definite, complete rejection.   View Answer

Researcher Interview

During a university career fair, I met with the recruiter and given an on-campus interview right away! The interview was with a different recruiter, who did not even know the position I was interested in was a part of the company. Asked about my research and asked some behavioral questions. He said they wanted to open up relations with graduating students-- but he never responded to my follow-up email questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to change perspective or change direction on a project? -- How long did it take for you to realize you needed to change perspective?   Answer Question

Campus Screening Interview Interview

Sandia National Labs were at a career fair at my university. When I talked to them, they seemed to focus mostly on my GPA before offering me an on-campus interview later in the week. I was interviewed by two people, and both took notes on what looked to be a company form based on what I could see. At the interview I was informed that they are not slot hiring for a specific position, but that if I applied online for any positions, having this interview would give me an advantage over other applicants. If I am contacted about any positions I apply for, the procedure will be an onsite interview, including a seminar on my thesis research.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were a surprise. We discussed briefly my thesis research and technical experience, and the rest were all common interview questions (i.e. Give an example of a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you resolved the issue.)   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Appointee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sandia.

I applied online and was asked to interview in person a few months after submitting my cv online. So I recommend applying early. For a postdoctoral position or anyone with an advanced degree giving a talk on your research is expected.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was just following my seminar which included technical questions first, and then more general questions about your general approach to problem solving and working in teams/individually.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sandia in September 2013.

I met the Sandia representatives at the Career Fair on my Campus. I am a PhD student and as soon as I went on explaining my research work, they seemed immediately interested.
    They invited me for a first round of interview the very next day. The interview took place in the campus itself.
    It was a behavioral interview, and the questions were very much like the STAR format questions. There was nothing unexpected and the guy who interviewed seemed pretty friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There was no surprise question and the questions were regular sort of.   Answer Question