Sandia

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Livermore, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sandia in December 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email back asking for a phone interview. Got a call the same day, talked for about 30-45 mins about my thesis work as a whole and the specific relevant experience and how it matches with the position description. On-site interview a few weeks later.

HR is fantastic! Very organized, got all of my paperwork to me (overnight FedEX) with return envelope provided. Very quick turnaround on questions and also genuinely nice people.

Standard job talk format, 1 hour presentation followed by panel interview and 1:1's, lab tour. Fairly well attended for a job talk. Not many questions asked during my talk, but several afterward. Very polite interview, low stress. About 25 mins of questions and formal interviewing followed by a quick lab tour. Took me out to lunch and then back for a few more meetings. HR followed up with me about my impressions and kept me updated on the status of my application.

Manager made a verbal offer several weeks later (I've been told this is very typical; I got nervous and then kind of forgot about it). HR emailed an offer package and followed it up with a hardcopy via FedEX. Drug testing was done at a local sample collection facility. Background check was pretty standard-- pulled my credit report, character references from folks who have known me >=10 years. My friends/family told me that the investigators were very polite and professional.

The culture is a nice mix of academic freedom with corporate mission (and budgets!). Expect the standard couple of big fish to throw their weight around in your interview. I'm convinced if they aren't talking they aren't breathing. Most of the other folks on the interview won't pay too much attention to them, seems like a quick test to see if you can handle being heckled.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Sandia?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is fixed on a division basis, no negotiation possible if this is your only Sandia offer. They will, however, match offers from other divisions.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Sandia.

Interview Details – I talked with two recruiters at a career fair. They found my GPA was good and I had some project experience with Sandia, so they arranged a screening interview. Then they asked me to apply on their website. This is just the first step and it is still ongoing. I will keep posting the following process here.

Interview Question – The first screening interview is all about behavioral questions. How did the communication work out with your partner? Tell me some initiatives you took in your projects. How did you adjust to a new environment? Tell me about a disagreement between you and your partner and how did you handle this. Tell me what difficulties you met in your project and how you solved them. What do you want to do in your future work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is just the first round screening. The interview is still ongoing and has not reached an end yet. But there is no such option here.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Sandia

Worked for Sandia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sandia Postdoctoral Fellow interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Sandia employees and interview candidates.