Sandia

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Sandia in February 2013.

Interview Details – It takes forever. HR briefing. Multiple interviews with technical staff. A "technical" presentation. Why do yo have a 50 word min Glassdoor?! bla bla bla bla bla bla

Negotiation Details – Painfully slow.

Senior Member of Technical Staff

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sandia.

Interview Details – Just like any high level scientific position. You give a talk about past work. A talk about future plans. And then meet with ~10-15 current staff scientists to discuss both their endeavors and your plans.

Interview Question – What's one thing in your life you regret?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a sign on bonus and got one added.

Senior Member of Technical Staff

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sandia.

Interview Details – Was an intern here so interview was mainly a formality. HR did their usual speech about what a wonderful place to work it is, but couldn't be helpful beyond that. Their moving package is handled by a third party contractor who has horrible web security, my personally identifiable information (SSN etc) was exposed by them which led to identity theft. The moving contractor employee I worked with went on vacation and never came back.

Interview Question – What was your worst course in college?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed. HR will low ball you and it's up to the hiring manager to reject it before he makes the offer to you, once your get the offer there is no negotiation allowed even if you have multiple offers. I had competing offers from LLNL and LANL and SNL wouldn't negotiate even though LANL's was higher.

Livermore, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sandia in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, was contacted by the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was fairly brief, mostly looking at the fit between my experience at the position. After that, was contacted by HR to schedule on-site interview. They paid for the flight, the hotel room, and the car rental (nothing out of pocket except meals/taxi to airport from home which were reimbursed). After getting to California, drove myself to the hotel, had dinner with some of the staff members that evening. Seemed like a very congenial crowd. Next day started at 7:30am, drove to the lab, was badged in under 20 minutes, and then went to HR. Very informal HR interview, mostly telling me about the benefits I would receive if hired. Some behavioral interview questions but very easy.

Technical part of the interview started next. Was met by my prospective boss's secretary and followed him in my car back to the lab. They had to escort me everywhere as I did not have security clearance. I had sent them my presentation beforehand (personal computers not allowed) and it was setup for me in a smallish conference room. About 8 people attended the seminar. Some general interest questions followed. No one asked any malicious questions, but one person did have to show off how much she knew while asking hers.

After the seminar, there were a series of 1:1 interviews and a panel interview over lunch. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be a panel interview but it certainly felt like it. I was brought to each person's office and spent 25 minutes talking. The people I talked to represented a variety of levels and careers -- some mid-level managers, some technical peers, some technical direct reports. These interviews lasted roughly five hours. At the end, there was one more dinner with a small group of people (who I would work with closely). Overall, a very standard interview experience.

Interview Question – For an experimental mechanical engineering position, I did not expect to be asked chemical engineering computational questions. "Speaking generally, how would you model reactor flow in this case? How do you justify the boundary conditions you chose? At this arbitrary point, can you derive the governing equations?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed by HR

Albuquerque, NM

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Sandia.

Interview Details – First off your education accomplishments are highly regarded at Sandia. Even if you have many years of experience your grades will matter when you are hired. You also have to pass a very extensive background check which actually requires investigators to personally contact people you know. I was given a tour of the facility and shown several impressive technical achievements designed and built at Sandia. Then I was interviewed by 4 different managers to see where I fit best.

Interview Question – There were some very personal questions that I didn't expect. Technically the interview process was quite benign.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but was turned down.

Worked for Sandia? Contribute to the Community!