Sanford C. Bernstein

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consists of 3-4 rounds. In the first round, you will meet with a senior analyst and they will discuss with you interest in the stock market and also provide some teasers on market sizing. The teasers are very similar to those offered in consulting interviews. The interviewer is testing your ability to think on your feet and your business and analytical skills. The second interview, you will meet with others on the team and they will all test you in a similar way. They will also look for fit. The last interview is usually with a C-level executive and the main goal here is to test for fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

Interview Details – There were lots of case studies - market sizing, ridiculous estimates. Seemed very academic. Really atypical of a normal equity research interview.

Interview Question – What would your last boss say about you?   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

Interview Details – Met with HR for a 30-min interview about past work experience, why I'm interested in research, etc. She asked for my high school SAT scores which I thought was interesting. Interview ended with a case question: how many ipods were sold in 2009?

Sales Interview

Sales
New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in August 2009.

Interview Details – Questions included describe a time when you had a lot of different tasks that all needed to be accomplished at the same time and how you dealt with it, talked about past experiences and current skills

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were overwhelmed with work and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2009.

Interview Details – After interviewing one-on-one with the recruiting firm for this position, a month later I was emailed by the internal HR representative for an interview that same week. The interview consisted of fit and case questions with the HR rep and another research associate. The fit questions were standard "why Bernstein? Why equity research? What are your best/worst qualities. The case questions were basic market sizing (e.g. "how many x widgets were sold in the US in 2008?").

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in July 2014.

Interview Details – Got 1 phone interview from HR and then the other 2 calls from an analyst and a director.
Each phone interview lasted around 30 mins.
The final round was an whole day on site interview with 5-6 associates in the company, but I didn't make it to the final round.

Interview Question – Most of the interview questions were behavior question, but also consisted of a simple market sizing case interview. Like Apple is going to launch a new product in 2015, please estimate how many of them would be sold in China in 2015.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein.

Interview Details – Was recommended through a current employee and was brought in for an hour interview, consisted of mostly personal details with a very short case study and basic maths questions. Was passed through this round and brought in for a second interview consisting of 3 separate 45-min interviews of mostly case studies and some personal CV questions also was asked to write a report (250 words or so) up off of a mock companies case. I struggled in one of the interviews and did well in the other two so they brought me in for a third interview consisting of one more case interview and purely personal one for a second (or 7th really) opinion.

Interview Question – Write a recommendation and your expectation of this company's stock based on a two pages or less of info.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein.

Interview Details – Standard 1st round phone screening. Tell me about yourself. Why Sanford Bernstein and equity research? Then some math questions. How much is 15/1038? Then a case study about a retailer and their profit margins. Need understanding of financial statements at a basic level.

Interview Question – Why equity research is a tricky. Why Sanford Bernstein is easy. The case and the math problems were simple.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in April 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then in-person interview

Interview Question – What will the iPhone market be in China next year?   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in October 2010.

Interview Details – This was a first round on-campus interview which was around half an hour long. It went like this:
1) tell me about yourself/resume walk-through
2) why are you interested in equity research?
3) what valuation methods do you know? the more you list the better with a brief explanation of how they work
4) a short market sizing problem: estimate the size of the market for TVs in the US.
5) a quick guesstimate/calculation problem to test raw analytical horsepower