Sanford C. Bernstein

3.2

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in June 2012.

Got called in after submitting resume online. First had interview screening, then called back for several interviews with senior management. Mainly trying to assess commitment to equity research and general ability to tackle basic financial concepts.

Summer Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in February 2012.

applied through school career center
    first round: one 1-1 interview on campus, interviewed by HR
    after 1 week, HR called and invited me to their office for superday
    second round (superday): six 1-1 interviews during one afternoon. met with 4 senior research analysts, 1 junior associate and 1 office manager

Interview Questions
    • Lots of market sizing questions, such as how many Kindle will be sold in 2012   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2011.

Phone interview with HR prior to 1:1 interview with HR. Basic case study (along the lines of how many starbucks are there). The HR rep asked me to repeat numbers several times. I don't think she understood all of the concepts I discussed and she was trying to write it all down so that she could relay the answers to someone else. That is a little unfortunate because you can't really get into a serious discussion with HR who are not equity researchers. She also asked my GPA and GMAT scores.

Not a hard interview. The next step would have been a modeling test. I was underqualified relative to my competition and never heard back from them at all. The HR rep told me she would let me no either way but was unresponsive, which is an all to common trait these days. It is not difficult to send people a polite disqualification email.

Again, not a hard interview but dealing with HR is rarely a positive for the interviewee because HR is looking for specific profiles and less apt to an open evaluation of straight-up ability to excel in the job.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in August 2010.

Thorough hiring and review process. Process varies by senior analyst and candidate. Expect a few interviews, possibly an Excel or a writing assignment. SCB almost exclusively hires ivy league.

Interview Questions
    Not much room to negotiate. Almost no point in negotiating.

Analyst- Working Under Top Executives Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in June 2010.

Met with someone from HR, ordinary screening. Then met with head HR same day. Asked back about a two weeks later to meet with head of group i was interviewing for.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in May 2010.

I went through numerous interviews which comprised of 1-1 interviews with 3-4 VPs. I also had a written test where I had to listen to an earnings call, and write up answers to questions. Most of my 1-1 interviews comprised of consulting case study type questions. I was also asked about my interest in the stock market. For the specific sector that I was interviewing for - I was asked questions related to what was happening within the industry.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be a challenge for you in this job?   Answer Question
    Was not able to negotiate.

How May Ipods Did Apple Sell? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2010.

Had a phone interview and and then a case question interview.

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

Met with HR for a 30-min interview about past work experience, why I'm interested in research, etc. She asked for my high school SAT scores which I thought was interesting. Interview ended with a case question: how many ipods were sold in 2009?

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

There were lots of case studies - market sizing, ridiculous estimates. Seemed very academic. Really atypical of a normal equity research interview.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in August 2009.

Questions included describe a time when you had a lot of different tasks that all needed to be accomplished at the same time and how you dealt with it, talked about past experiences and current skills

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were overwhelmed with work and how you dealt with it   Answer Question