Sanford C. Bernstein

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in August 2010.

Interview Details – Thorough hiring and review process. Process varies by senior analyst and candidate. Expect a few interviews, possibly an Excel or a writing assignment. SCB almost exclusively hires ivy league.

Interview Question – Workload expected   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate. Almost no point in negotiating.

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in June 2012.

Interview Details – Got called in after submitting resume online. First had interview screening, then called back for several interviews with senior management. Mainly trying to assess commitment to equity research and general ability to tackle basic financial concepts.

Interview Question – How do you value a software company?   Answer Question

Summer Research Associate Interview

Summer Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in February 2012.

Interview Details – applied through school career center
first round: one 1-1 interview on campus, interviewed by HR
after 1 week, HR called and invited me to their office for superday
second round (superday): six 1-1 interviews during one afternoon. met with 4 senior research analysts, 1 junior associate and 1 office manager

Interview Question – Lots of market sizing questions, such as how many Kindle will be sold in 2012   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate
New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR prior to 1:1 interview with HR. Basic case study (along the lines of how many starbucks are there). The HR rep asked me to repeat numbers several times. I don't think she understood all of the concepts I discussed and she was trying to write it all down so that she could relay the answers to someone else. That is a little unfortunate because you can't really get into a serious discussion with HR who are not equity researchers. She also asked my GPA and GMAT scores.

Not a hard interview. The next step would have been a modeling test. I was underqualified relative to my competition and never heard back from them at all. The HR rep told me she would let me no either way but was unresponsive, which is an all to common trait these days. It is not difficult to send people a polite disqualification email.

Again, not a hard interview but dealing with HR is rarely a positive for the interviewee because HR is looking for specific profiles and less apt to an open evaluation of straight-up ability to excel in the job.

How May Ipods Did Apple Sell? Interview

How May Ipods Did Apple Sell?
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2010.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and and then a case question interview.

Interview Question – How many ipods did apple sell   Answer Question

Analyst- Working Under Top Executives Interview

Analyst- Working Under Top Executives
New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in June 2010.

Interview Details – Met with someone from HR, ordinary screening. Then met with head HR same day. Asked back about a two weeks later to meet with head of group i was interviewing for.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
New York, NY

The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in May 2010.

Interview Details – I went through numerous interviews which comprised of 1-1 interviews with 3-4 VPs. I also had a written test where I had to listen to an earnings call, and write up answers to questions. Most of my 1-1 interviews comprised of consulting case study type questions. I was also asked about my interest in the stock market. For the specific sector that I was interviewing for - I was asked questions related to what was happening within the industry.

Interview Question – What do you think will be a challenge for you in this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consists of 3-4 rounds. In the first round, you will meet with a senior analyst and they will discuss with you interest in the stock market and also provide some teasers on market sizing. The teasers are very similar to those offered in consulting interviews. The interviewer is testing your ability to think on your feet and your business and analytical skills. The second interview, you will meet with others on the team and they will all test you in a similar way. They will also look for fit. The last interview is usually with a C-level executive and the main goal here is to test for fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

Interview Details – There were lots of case studies - market sizing, ridiculous estimates. Seemed very academic. Really atypical of a normal equity research interview.

Interview Question – What would your last boss say about you?   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2010.

Interview Details – Met with HR for a 30-min interview about past work experience, why I'm interested in research, etc. She asked for my high school SAT scores which I thought was interesting. Interview ended with a case question: how many ipods were sold in 2009?

Interview Questions

Worked for Sanford C. Bernstein? Contribute to the Community!