Santa Clara University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2014
Updated Aug 5, 2014

2.8

Business Development Representative Interview

The interview process was quite quick and simple. I went in to observe the work environment and meet the employees. I was asked several questions about past work experience, other activities I was involved in and what my time commitment would be like. I was then given three mock cold calls in which I would use a script to do the best I could with the fake alumni.

Sales Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Santa Clara University in March 2013.

I came in for an interview at a time that was convenient for both my employer and myself. After a series of questions I was given two mock calls and was given a rough script in which I had to supplement the conversation. The object was to test my conversation skills

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Santa Clara University in July 2010.

The actual process of receiving an offer took a lot longer than I anticipated. Once I received an offer, I already had another offer in hand and had accepted. If it hadn't taken as long, I probably would have accepted this offer.

Exam Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Santa Clara University in September 2013.

The faculty support receives applications from more than 50 students, so please be patient if you do not get any response. I only expressed my interest and got interviewed in 2 weeks, then started working when exam came up.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if one of the students in the exam fainted?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Day and a half with 30 minute appointments and meals

Lecturer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Santa Clara University.

I went to SCU's campus super excited to interview for this position. After a very successful phone interview, they invited me to check it out and meet the department in person. They asked me to provide a sample of my teaching style as expected. Upon gathering in a room full of 5 faculty, I started my presentation. I had decided to lecture on the chalk board because all of the classes I had in undergrad that I actually learned the material in were on the board and not delivered by a powerpoint presentation.

After choosing an undergraduate topic, I decided to start at the very basics, as undergrads come from a diverse background, especially in California. About 5 minutes into my lecture, one of the faculty stopped me, told me the material was too easy, I was putting him to sleep and I wasn't getting to the point (mind you the point involves lots of math... sorry!). Now, I'm really sorry you are an expert in this field, but do you think freshman and sophomores are??? If you don't start at the fundamentals, how can you expect to even apply the knowledge down the road? They also continued to ridicule me and say that I should be using a powerpoint presentation and that none of them used book. WHAT! I almost fainted, undergraduate education without a book! Seriously, you have to be joking! Also, mind you, I am also coming from the #1 ranked university for this particular department so I have seen a lot, TAed for tier 1 researchers and lectures, and lectured in front of hundreds of students.

So, my choice of board over powerpoint was obviously not a good one, and I would recommend if you interview here to prepare both. Instead of continuing with my interview, the room full of people starting arguing and talking over one another to discuss this issue of ppt vs not ppt for the next 10-15 minutes.

After finally being motioned to continue, I began my next lesson on a different topic for upper division students. I chose something I am very familiar with, requires a good amount of math. Now, this ALSO was too boring for these people. I am also sorry, I chose a topic I learned in undergrad upper div and graduate school at a top ranked program. Also, the department chair decided to inform me she teaches this to freshman. Really, freshman can solve differential equations... I highly doubt that, not unless it is a prereq, which it was not.

So, the teaching part didn't go very well. Onto the next part.

I then had the pleasure of going to lunch with the group. Lunch, usually the most relaxing part of the day and a chance to get to know the other people in the department. So, when I sat down after getting a glass of water. Guess what the topic of debate was for the next 10 minutes! How fast you got your green card!!!! I was blown out of the water! Here I was, a Catholic, interviewing at at Catholic university and hearing this, what a distasteful conversation. No wonder US citizens don't want to major in technical fields. Goodness!

I thought that the situation and unprofessional-ism of this department and of the people could not get any worse but it did.

I went on a casual tour of the labs. I was shown a lab that had a bunch of students working for this particular faculty member in it. The professor the began commanding the students orders, like this was some sort of military environment! Not explaining, just commanding! "Clean the bench!" "Write the document!" "Look this up!" For a private school, this was not some sort of nurturing environment I had expected... at all!

So, the whole process continued for a little while longer... it basically made me decide that I actually don't want to teach in this department... I had three other much stronger offers where I could actually use my skills and PhD.

The icing on the cake was the following: I looked up the guy giving me a bad time about lecturing on a topic that was too easy, and he was a faculty candidate for my top tier university in our department. I actually remembered his lecture. I didn't understand it, there was way too much information to process, the slides were jumbled, and there was no story to back the research that made any sense to me. If this is how the courses are taught at this university, like that lecture I remembered from 3-4 years prior, well... I am so sorry for those students paying an arm and a leg to go there and expect a good education. The students are likely challenged by these people's teaching because they can't figure out what the heck is going on!

Despite the beautiful campus, I left feeling very disappointed. I felt like they were mining ideas, and it is likely I was not alone in this endeavor. The structure and unprofessionalism were ridiculous. They did not reimburse my flight.

Tenure Track Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Santa Clara University in April 2012.

3 days of meeting with faculty, presented a mock lecture and a research powerpoint. Faculty were friendly, but not very concerned with the process, as if there were another preferred candidate. I thought the interview was fair, but a waste of everyone's time. the only exception to this feeling is that I learned valuable interview skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you balance teaching and research?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Santa Clara University in February 2011.

Phone interview with person who would be direct supervisor, and then set up personal interview. I first met with HR representative, who told me all about all the benefits, days off, etc. This struck me as a bit premature and a waste of time, because if I didn't get offered the job, why dangle all the bennies in front of me? Because they pay below market, and that's how they try to lure you in, that's why. It was followed up by a panel interview, with one person after another firing off questions.

Assistant Dean of Financial Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Santa Clara University in August 2008.

I applied at HR and got a call to interview from the hiring manager. She initially interviewed me and then called me back for another interview with would be coworkers.

She called one week later to say I did not get the job.

Media Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Santa Clara University in September 2008.

The interviewing process is easy and relaxed. You do not need to worry about prior experience. Just show that you have a good personality and they give all the training necessary.

Interview Questions
    There is little negotiating possible. The wages are fixed and increase by about $.50 a year.

Worked for Santa Clara University? Contribute to the Community!