Santa Cruz Biotechnology

Updated Dec 10, 2014

1.8

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Call Culture department - Interview process was very relaxed. No technical questions, only broader discussions regarding what Santa Cruz Biotech does and why you would be a good fit there given your background etc.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked me to describe to them what it is Santa Cruz Biotechnology does, not hard just make sure you do a little research into the company before your interview.   Answer Question

Low pay, and was offered a more promising position elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Had the interview about a week and a half after submitting my resume to HR. Interview seemed to go well, except they seemed concerned my background is physical, not biological. If you have plans of going to Grad school, lie through your teeth.

Interview Questions
    • Some unexpected questions involved whether I was applying anywhere else. It caught me off guard so I answered it, but I wish I hadn't because that is not their business.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

The hiring process starts with a phone interview where they ask basic questions about who you are, if you are in school or not, what you're studying, what your hobbies are, ect.

This is followed by a second in person interview with one of the lab managers. They ask more in depth questions about what classes you're taking, what interests you the most. Then they ask simple interview questions such as "what has been the most rewarding project you've taken on?", "What is you're biggest weakness?", "How do you think you would handle performing the same repetitive task over and over?", "Can you pay close attention to detail, such as recording lots of numbers accurately?". If the interviewer likes you he/she may bring in a higher up manager to ask you some more questions.

After the in person interview they let you know within a week to two weeks if you got the job. Overall not a very stressful interview/hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • "What project have you taken on and made improvements or changes that were rewarding?"   Answer Question
    Pay was not very negotiable

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology in August 2014.

After I applied for the position, I got a call from SCBT within a week. There was an initial phone screening where they asked about the what I knew about the company and if I understood the work that I would do if I got the job. At the end of the phone call, I was called in for an interview. There were three rounds- first with the lead licensing manager, second and third rounds with peers/other chemical product specialists. They all asked HR questions and basic chemistry questions. It was a relaxed interview. Not very tough.
    They weren't very prompt in responding after the interview process. They didn't respond till five weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no tough questions. All technical questions were basic chemistry questions like what information does MS and HPLC give, name and properties of chemical groups, etc.
      Some of the other questions they asked were: how do you organize/prioritize your work, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Answer Question
    • One very odd question that I was asked was that how would I feel if I were asked to quit a project midway without being given an explanation. On being prodded, I was told that that happens a lot in SCBT and that the CEO might just order a project/assignment to be scrapped without giving a reasonable explanation.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Just asked 2 questions...just like someone else mentioned earlier....the only criteria to get hired here is that: you should have 2 hands, 2 feet, 2 eyes and so on!

Nothing

Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paso Robles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paso Robles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Interviewed with Department Manager. Asked about what I knew about the company (very little beforehand) and then several straightforward questions. Afterwards, there was a "skills test," which required you to recreate a document in Microsoft Word (easy!).

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

I submit my resume through a current employee, I was called for an interview and met with the lab manager. She manages several labs and places you. The interview was very quick, she did not tell me beforehand that I would need my references so I was unprepared for that. I met with one other manager and was offered the position a few days later. There is not opportunity to negotiate salary and they underpay significantly compared to other companies I have worked for in equivalent positions.

Interview Questions
    • There werent very many questions asked of me. The managers described the available positions and company culture (ie lunches and donuts or whatever in lieu of raises or bonuses)   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating.

Research Assistant Interview

I submitted my resume (no cover letter required) on a weekend and heard back from the Company by Monday. Two letters of recommendation were required. I had three separate interviews with Managers and Group Leads. I was asked to return for a second interview wih the Head Manager.
    The interview was very relaxed and comfortable. The questions focused on previous experience and the ability to work with a team.

Interview Questions
    • A big part of the job is repetitive tasks, how would you deal with a tedious work day?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology in January 2013.

Unstructured 3 hour long process

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, they offered the lowest possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology in May 2012.

Starts with an initial phone screening where they ask you general HR-related questions. Moves on to an in-person interview with 5 people from the department (all young recent college grads). It is a very relaxing and easy interview process as long as you can talk effectively. There are three "rounds" of the interview and all of them ask the same questions. If you get called in to interview it is likely that you already have the position.

Interview Questions
    You are not able to negotiate. You will be paid $17.50/hr.