Santa Cruz Biotechnology Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.1

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Interview

1. Submit cover letter and CV online. 2. Get a phone screening interview. 3. Come in for in-person interview. 4. Wait 1-2 weeks, but up to a month, for due diligence (reference checks, etc.). 5. Get a phone call within a month of applying online.

Interview Questions

• In your lab or work experience, describe a time when things did not go as planned.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nonexistent

Technical Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Dallas, TX).

Interview

4 total interviews, the first two being phone interviews, the third a skype with two interviewers, and the fourth was in person. Too long of a process that had repetitive behavioral questions by different people. They didnt seem to have objective reasoning for their different interviews, except to keep asking random questions. The in person interview had a case study for helping a client with troubled Western Blots.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced a challenge, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome? Tell me what is an antibody. What do you know of gene silencing? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

CISPR Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paso Robles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Paso Robles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was mostly behavioral with some technical questions regarding what type of lab experience I had, in addition to my references. I was also asked about my background, and whether I would be okay to stay in the area of Paso Robles being so young(they knew the area would be boring). I was also asked if I would like to stay there after graduation.

Interview Questions

• What sort of lab experience do you have?   1 Answer

Web Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Paso Robles, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview went well, they offered me the job. Job offer was relatively low though. The interview lasted a long time (about an hour). I was interviewed by two people who were friendly. Overall I thought the company culture was lacking. It seemed like the owner wasn't someone I would get along with. He was described as being a numbers person and a black and white type.

Interview Questions

• What would you say if someone asked you to get a cow to the moon?   1 Answer

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Santa Cruz, CA).

Interview

Call Culture department - Interview process was very relaxed. No technical questions, only broader discussions regarding what Santa Cruz Biotech does and why you would be a good fit there given your background etc.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked me to describe to them what it is Santa Cruz Biotechnology does, not hard just make sure you do a little research into the company before your interview.   Answer Question

Low pay, and was offered a more promising position elsewhere.

Chemical Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Santa Cruz, CA).

Interview

Had the interview about a week and a half after submitting my resume to HR. Interview seemed to go well, except they seemed concerned my background is physical, not biological. If you have plans of going to Grad school, lie through your teeth.

Interview Questions

• Some unexpected questions involved whether I was applying anywhere else. It caught me off guard so I answered it, but I wish I hadn't because that is not their business.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a phone interview where they ask basic questions about who you are, if you are in school or not, what you're studying, what your hobbies are, ect. This is followed by a second in person interview with one of the lab managers. They ask more in depth questions about what classes you're taking, what interests you the most. Then they ask simple interview questions such as "what has been the most rewarding project you've taken on?", "What is you're biggest weakness?", "How do you think you would handle performing the same repetitive task over and over?", "Can you pay close attention to detail, such as recording lots of numbers accurately?". If the interviewer likes you he/she may bring in a higher up manager to ask you some more questions. After the in person interview they let you know within a week to two weeks if you got the job. Overall not a very stressful interview/hiring process.

Interview Questions

• "What project have you taken on and made improvements or changes that were rewarding?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay was not very negotiable

Chemical Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Santa Cruz, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

After I applied for the position, I got a call from SCBT within a week. There was an initial phone screening where they asked about the what I knew about the company and if I understood the work that I would do if I got the job. At the end of the phone call, I was called in for an interview. There were three rounds- first with the lead licensing manager, second and third rounds with peers/other chemical product specialists. They all asked HR questions and basic chemistry questions. It was a relaxed interview. Not very tough. They weren't very prompt in responding after the interview process. They didn't respond till five weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no tough questions. All technical questions were basic chemistry questions like what information does MS and HPLC give, name and properties of chemical groups, etc. Some of the other questions they asked were: how do you organize/prioritize your work, strengths and weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question
    • One very odd question that I was asked was that how would I feel if I were asked to quit a project midway without being given an explanation. On being prodded, I was told that that happens a lot in SCBT and that the CEO might just order a project/assignment to be scrapped without giving a reasonable explanation.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.

Interview

Just asked 2 questions...just like someone else mentioned earlier....the only criteria to get hired here is that: you should have 2 hands, 2 feet, 2 eyes and so on!

Negotiation

Nothing

Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paso Robles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (Paso Robles, CA).

Interview

Interviewed with Department Manager. Asked about what I knew about the company (very little beforehand) and then several straightforward questions. Afterwards, there was a "skills test," which required you to recreate a document in Microsoft Word (easy!).