Sapient

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Consultant Interview

Software Consultant
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sapient in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was with an initial phone screen and was asked to go for a face to face interview.
A case study was presented which was 4 pages. An hour is given to read the case study and come up with the design and write it on a white board. Abilities to write sql queries, coding is also asked. If the interview is for senior lead position, then the case study will have question like you are given 1 junior developer and 2 senior developers, how will you allocate the task, describe your project plan.

I had only 1 interviewer come and ask me questions on my approach and why I had that approach.

The case study is not difficult, it is lengthy.

Interview Question – There was no difficult question.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – First when I got the interview the location was to my driving distance, then they told me that the location was changed.

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sapient.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with a phone screening. That was followed by a written test (technical). The test was challenging and subjective in nature. The test was followed by 2 rounds of interviews. The interviews focused mainly on the test answers and was very professionally conducted.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was about the salary . They wanted to talk numbers before anything else.   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

Strategist
Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sapient in July 2008.

Interview Details – Contacted by hr. Number of phone interviews.

Interview Question – None were very hard or unexpected   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I went back amd asked for more money after first offer. And i got it.

Associate Interview

Associate
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Sapient in September 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Interviews
1 Technical Case Study
 3 in person interviews in office

Interview Question – Why Sapient   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They gave me an offer, I asked for more and they gave it to me

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sapient.

Interview Details – There was a intro on campus interview that was brief and painless with no substantive questions followed by an invitation to an onsite interview day. It occurred on a Saturday and had 2 rounds: Group and Individual exercises.

Interview Question – Write pseudo-code for a method and then create a full database schema for the proposed senario.   View Answer

Associate Technology L1 Interview

Associate Technology L1
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sapient.

Interview Details – I was put in through the referral system. I got a phone call and e-mail from a recruiter within a day. I was screened intitally via the recruiter - and then a scheduled phone interview happened next. Once I got the "ok" from the phone interview - I was scheduled within a day to come in to the office for another interview. This interview consisted of three parts - each an hour long. The first part was the basic "getting to know you" section - where you can brag about yourself. They see how you would fit in with their teams and the company's culture. The second part is a case study that you read alone and prepare for a presentation by using the whiteboards. The third part is presenting your case study and having a discussion about it. Within a few days I heard back that the interview went great - and we were just waiting to hear from the client Sapient wanted me to work with. They had to officially approve me. Once this was complete - an official offer came in. I had a few days to sign and return my offer letter - which was all digital. I started two weeks later.

Interview Question – You get an hour to prepare for a case study - and delivering your ideas on a white board. After the hour is up - you present your case to a manager. The case study was not "difficult" but rather lengthy. I did not have enough time to finish everything I would have liked to. Be prepared to get your most valid points out before diving into the details - and read the entire case study before starting. Some important information lies at the end of the case study document.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a signing bonus.

Manager, Business Consulting Interview

Manager, Business Consulting
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sapient in August 2012.

Interview Details – Saw a post on a job board for a Manager, Business Consulting position. Went to the company website and applied directly which took 5 minutes. A few hours later received an email from HR and set up a phone screen. The phone screen was pretty basic (why are you interested in Sapient, what are you looking for in your next position, why leave your current position, salary requirements).

After a successful talk with HR, had a one hour phone interview with a Manager and Senior Associate the following day. The interview started with a few behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when you..."), then moved into a case. I was surprised to be doing a case as I wasn't told that it would be part of the phone interview. The case was really painless...it was more like an ideation session (i.e. "What could be the cause of 'x' business not doing well?") than a typical consulting case. After completing the case, I was asked to summarize my thoughts in a one page slide and send it to the interviewers (something else that caught me off guard). The next business day I received a call and was scheduled for an interview in their office later in the week.

The first in-person interview was an hour long fit interview. It was pretty painless...less "Tell me about a time when..." and more questioning along the lines of getting to know my work style and who I was as a person. I was given plenty of time to ask questions. It was actually refreshing. Next, they placed me in a room with white boards for walls and gave me an hour to go over a case and prepare for a presentation to the "client". I felt like the hour was enough time to address the guiding questions they give you. The interviewer walked in and immediately began playing the character of the client. I had done this type of interview before, but this experience was the least positive. At times I felt like I was being attacked as I was constantly interrupted and asked to explain every single word I said. I have been consulting for years and have never had a client (even the most difficult ones) act anywhere near as hostile as the interviewer. I was also asked several questions about things that did not appear in the case...perhaps a check to see how I acted under pressure. The interviewer gave immediate feedback, asked a couple questions, then gave me time to ask questions.

The next day I was told that I would be receiving an offer...not at the Manager level, but at the Senior Associate level.

Interview Question – During the case presentation, I was asked how much it would cost to implement the solution. There was no information in the case that addressed this and I felt like the interviewer was trying to lead me down a treacherous path if I had attempted to come up with a number...be prepared for the unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was very low considering my education and prior work experience. I attempted to negotiate but the offer they came back with was BARELY better than the original. Also, Sapient prides itself on being feedback-oriented. That is great, but when you are constantly telling a perspective employee all the things that they can't do and nit-picking on what they may have messed up on during the interview in order to justify your low offer, it can really rub someone the wrong way!

Very Easy Interview

Technical Management Interview

Technical Management
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sapient.

Interview Details – I am not going to single out the organization Sapient Global, Sapient Nitro or Sapient Government. I will use generic reference of Sapient. Same is true for the Job Position/Title, think about it as Senior Manager/Director or MC level position with the team.

Fast to a level that give cues in finding and retaining the right candidate. HR persons with no authority for simple decisions and expectation settings and answer questions per script.

I was very unimpressed by the top gun I met (VP/above) and thought his tile is VP because in Sales Organization everyone is VP or Director. I asked him more questions (to learn the business, clients, engagement models and technology focuses) than him asking me.

Interview Question – I was asked for a case study and written interview test which I politely declined and was ready to walk away. I was ready for chalk talk and whiteboard discussions but no interviewer came forward for any unscripted discussion.

My initial technical contact person was very professional (and the impression I had that I am going to be in his organization). After hiring, my reporting lines changed three times in couple of weeks. Until last day I was ‘struggling’ to understand the organization structure and reporting lines.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For base comp I gave Sapient a number (in first HR phone call/email) and that was my bottom-line which they accepted and it did not come up again.
When it came to reporting lines/structure and organizational title Sapient shy away from sharing any organizational chart to give a context.

I was uncomfortable to proceed (accept) but I did!!

Very Easy Interview

Senior Associate of Technology Level II Interview

Senior Associate of Technology Level II
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sapient in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by the recruiter via email regarding the opportunity. A day after my response, I was scheduled to speak with the recruiter to go through some basic screening and discuss about my experience, skills and technologies I have worked with.

After the first screen, I was required take up a skills assessment test online. The test I must say is designed well covers the depth and breadth of a specific technology that you are comfortable with. As long as your basics are in the right place and if you worked on that technology(could be Java, .Net or C++), you should be able to clear this stage.

I apparently made it and the the next stage was a telephonic interview with the manager. This round was completely technical and most of the questions were again technology specifics, design patterns and their applications. I was also asked to briefly describe my roles and responsibilities till date.

After this technical round, I was required to take up a behavioral assessment online. And it consisted of questions that did not have a correct or a wrong answer. They were related knowing what kind of a person you are. I would not worry too much about this, it should be a breeze.

Then finally, if you are past these stages, you will be scheduled for an in-person interview at their office. My interview was scheduled two weeks after I completed the behavioral assessment. It is an all day interview and I met four people during the day.

1st round: This round is with the HR manager to kick off the interview for the day. This interview was short and quick.

2nd round: You will be handed over a business requirement and given a laptop to develop an application. The time line is one hour and I was not able to develop the complete application. I was able to layout the design and develop the skeleton methods. It is not important to complete the problem, but, it is key that you design the application keeping in mind the scalability, flexibility and performance. You will be measured depending on the approach you took to develop the application.

3rd Round: You will have to present and discuss the design approaches that you adopted in the previous round and justify them. You can expect some follow up questions regarding 'what if' situations. The interview here was too focused on one specific aspect of the application and one specific technology/concept which I did not have enough experience on. But, I was honest and indicated that my strengths were not in this area and interviewer was good enough to recognize that switch topics. I was also asked a lot of basic OOP and DB questions in this round.

4th round: This round was more behavioral and revolved around my experiences and instances of conflicts I faced, the most memorable project so far and my most significant contribution. This should be easy to complete if you just derive instances from your experiences and relate to the situations.

5th round: This round was with the VP of Technology and this was a good sign. This round was more discussion where you get to ask a lot of questions about the role and I did ask a lot of questions and the feedback seemed very positive. There were couple of questions for me as what I thought about the role so far and why I am looking for change in role. By the time I left their office, I was pretty much sure that I had bagged the job.

Overall, the interview process was 'OK'. The best thing is that the response after interviews is super quick (usually within a day or two). The bad thing that I found was that the recruiting process could be a lot more professional. Most of the people I met were nice and professional but not everyone.

Interview Question – Some questions were very silly such as, what namespace does Thread object exists or what arguments does a ThreadStart class constructor take in. I am not a big fan of questions that will test how much you can memorize stuff and the questions does not seem to test the thinking capability rather test how much can you cram, but that is just my opinion.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – My overall thought after the interview was something like this -
- Few people are very good, smart and helpful and there are some people who are not thorough professionals.
- Work/Life balance seems to be not that great.
- Good projects and opportunities to prove yourself.

So, my general bottom line was that if I get compensated reasonably well, I thought this could be a good place to be. But, I was offered a compensation that lower than my current compensation and that sealed my decision and declined it straight away. As a disclosure, I want to mention that when i declined this offer, I had about five in-person interviews lined up at five major companies and it made sense to me not to accept.

Trainee Technology Interview

Trainee Technology
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sapient in June 2008.

Interview Details – I was hired through campus recruitment. The first round required me to write two programs to solve business problems.
In the second round, we were asked to do the following:

1. Explain the business requirement of the problems for which we wrote programs in the first round.
2. Explain our thought process as to how we approached the problem.
3. Explain the program written
4. Trace through the program using various scenarios.

Interview Question – There were two programs that you are asked to write   Answer Question