Sapphire Energy Interview Questions

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sapphire Energy

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sapphire Energy (San Diego, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Sapphire was very pleasant int he interview process, being very nice and friendly to all my needs during the interview process. Interview consisted of an all day panel type of interview process with several teams and individuals within the company. Be prepared to be asked many questions about understanding of long work hours and capability of being all to work in a start-up like environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and how it applies to biofuels.   1 Answer

A new Vice President came in and changed the original position title from Engineer to Research Associate II. I was told by the Vice President I was hired by that he would change it back but was over ruled by the new Vice-President. Seems like changes from a start-up to a more bureaucratic company are happening and did not want to be in a company where promises are not kept and my skills are render castrated and unable for compromise.

Research Scientist - Molecular Biology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sapphire Energy (San Diego, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Phone interviewed with HR, followed by phone interview with Direct Supervisor, followed by in person interview. Process prior to in person interview were quite professional, but workplace chaos became apparent at in person interview. By the end of the process, wherein I received and declined the offer (salary level was reasonable for the position, but not the expected effort level), HR manager was clearly unimpressed with the company and values.

Interview Questions

• Several of the interview panels re-inforced the "minimum 60 hour workweek", and concommitant internal competetion.   Answer Question

It very much appeared to be an exploitative environment, wherein early stage researchers (RAs) were expected to carry an unusual amount of the load, while middle management were the only onles positioned ot benefit from company successes.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sapphire Energy.

Interview

Submitted resume online. A phone interview was scheduled 2 weeks later with a recruiter. The phone interview process took about 30 minutes; it was mentioned that the next step of the hiring process would be another phone interview by the hiring manager (a fellow scientist, with more detailed technical questions) for out-of-state applicants. I was informed that their initial phone interviews will be finished in a couple of weeks; and I will know by then if I will move on through the hiring process. After 2 weeks, I got nothing; so I sent a follow-up email - still, no reply (not even an email saying I'm not being considered for the position anymore.

Interview Questions

• Questions were about the job posting; the recruiter just read the qualifications mentioned in the job posting and asked if I have experience doing those or not.   Answer Question