Sargent & Lundy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Structural Associate II Interview

Structural Associate II
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in April 2013.

Interview Details – Submit application at College Job Fair or online.
Get call asking if I'm still interested.
Submit Transcripts and Resume via email to HR rep via email.
Schedule 4-6hour in office interview with 2 current engineers, the discipline manager and an HR rep.
HR rep outlines the company 401k / benefits. 2 current engineers outline the day to day work. Discipline Manager outlines the expectations and how promotions work. Discipline manager and HR rep have the most say in things and most engineers will give you a positive review if your social-able and make it sound like you'd be a good guy to work with day to day.

Interview Question – S&L management expects you to work lots of overtime and some of the questions are geared towards figuring out if you are willing to come in on weekends or stay past 5 during the week.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR Rep called to tell me what they were offering. I was straight out of college and S&L was offering me $10,000 a year more than the next best offer I got so I just took the offer on the phone right away. Looking back I should have thanked them for the offer and then countered via email a few days later asking for a few more vacation days to start. Thats the kind of thing I've heard fellow employees say was easy to get added.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very nice interview, few technical questions, I got interviewed by about 5 different people, they were all nice and they take you out to eat at the Palmer House at the end. I suspect that if you play the interview conservatively and don't say anything stupid then you will get the job- I don't think they like to interview people unless they are serious about hiring them.

Interview Question – Don't recall anything difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate since it was my first job.

Associate I Interview

Associate I
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview Details – I found the job posting online and applied directly to the company, soon after I heard back via email that they wanted to bring me in for an interview. Soon after I was flown to Chicago where I met with 5 people one-on- one with various experiences within the company as well as a lunchtime meeting. The next day I was offered a job over the phone.

Interview Question – They asked me to explain some of the technical projects I had worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate with this being my first job out of college, although I wish I would have.

Entry Level Structural Engineer Interview

Entry Level Structural Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview Details – Applied online a few months before seeing them at career fair. Met the lady at career fair and talked to her for about 10 minutes. Gave her my resume. Heard nothing for about 2 weeks, then got a call for a personal interview. The interview will take up the entire day.

Interview Question – There were not unexpected questions. Just be yourself.   Answer Question

Structural Associate I Interview

Structural Associate I
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met with them at a career fair event and gave them my resume, then a week later I received a call for an interview. The interview was 4 hours long, lunch included. It was very simple and to the point. I met with HR first, then 2 engineering managers and the VP of the structural engineering department all individually in a quiet room, then went to lunch with 2 newer engineers that were hired within 2-5 years. After lunch, I met back up with HR then was told I'd hear news back from them within 1-2 weeks. All of the conversations of the interview were regarding my experiences and school, internships or volunteer work. They were interested in what I was interested in and explained the management structure and benefits of working for S&L. There was nothing technical and everyone was extremely friendly. The hardest part waiting after the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected if you studied the company's background. Nothing was technical, it was all getting to know you questions.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview Details – It was a day long interview process. You met with 5 different engineers in your discipline and department. They asked you typical questions and what you did in past jobs. It was all pretty standard. They have an engineer take you out to lunch as part of the process as well.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very good. They were open to hear me out and responded in a timely manner.

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in July 2012.

Interview Details – Understanding the technical aspects is key. 4-5 interviewers will determine skillset and overall fit with the company.

Negotiation Details – Ask for relocation.

Very Easy Interview

Associate I Electrical Engineer Interview

Associate I Electrical Engineer
Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online....Got an interview call within a week....
Interview was simple...I was asked on technical question.
After that I got a tour of the office and was provided with a free lunch.
Got the job offer with in the next week.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Structural Engineer Interview

Associate Structural Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview Details – As a female, my interviewer made me very uncomfortable. He made a joke that I would be spending my free time at Sargent and Lundy "looking out the window at boys walking by" and made jokes about how I would be constantly trying to find a boyfriend within the engineering staff. It made me feel uncomfortable and I felt demeaned as an engineer. Now, reading the reviews about Sargent and Lundy being an "Old Boys Club" I have made inferences about the culture at Sargent and Lundy.

My interview was very easy as I was not asked technical questions about my job. Instead, I was told that my job as a structures engineer at another company had no similarities to the job they were looking to fill. And basically it was suggested that since I was young (and I get the feeling that perhaps me being female was relevant) I knew nothing about engineering. I was not given an on site interview.

This interview made me feel very uncomfortable and made me appreciate the culture present at my current job.

Interview Question – None. Wasn't asked much other than to briefly go over my college job that had nothing to do with engineering.   Answer Question

Electrical Designer Interview

Electrical Designer
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in March 2013.

Interview Details – Quick response, interview was 4 hours meeting with 5 ppl including hiring manager.
It allowed me to meet different ppl from different levels. They called with offer 2 days later.

Interview Question – Pretty simple questions, CAD test was super easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good offer, negotiated with HR on benefits. They were easy to work with.

Worked for Sargent & Lundy? Contribute to the Community!