Sargent & Lundy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.3

Structural Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Typically, you meet with 4 people; HR Represenative, a senior manager, engineer manager and a younger engineer. Interviews last for most of the day and they will take you out for lunch.

Interview Questions
    • They did not really ask anything difficult. Mostly they told me about the company   Answer Question

Substation Engineer Interview

Immediately went to a sit down interview, no phone interview The interview process involved a one-on-one interview for 30 minutes with 5 different people. Very standard questions involving past work experiences and college class work. Went out to lunch with a young engineer working at the company afterwards and then went over benefits with HR member.

Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

I found the job posting online and applied directly to the company, soon after I heard back via email that they wanted to bring me in for an interview. Soon after I was flown to Chicago where I met with 5 people one-on- one with various experiences within the company as well as a lunchtime meeting. The next day I was offered a job over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to explain some of the technical projects I had worked on in the past.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate with this being my first job out of college, although I wish I would have.

Entry Level Structural Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Applied online a few months before seeing them at career fair. Met the lady at career fair and talked to her for about 10 minutes. Gave her my resume. Heard nothing for about 2 weeks, then got a call for a personal interview. The interview will take up the entire day.

Interview Questions
    • There were not unexpected questions. Just be yourself.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

It was a day long interview process. You met with 5 different engineers in your discipline and department. They asked you typical questions and what you did in past jobs. It was all pretty standard. They have an engineer take you out to lunch as part of the process as well.

Interview Questions
    Very good. They were open to hear me out and responded in a timely manner.

Structural Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy in February 2014.

Met with them at a career fair event and gave them my resume, then a week later I received a call for an interview. The interview was 4 hours long, lunch included. It was very simple and to the point. I met with HR first, then 2 engineering managers and the VP of the structural engineering department all individually in a quiet room, then went to lunch with 2 newer engineers that were hired within 2-5 years. After lunch, I met back up with HR then was told I'd hear news back from them within 1-2 weeks. All of the conversations of the interview were regarding my experiences and school, internships or volunteer work. They were interested in what I was interested in and explained the management structure and benefits of working for S&L. There was nothing technical and everyone was extremely friendly. The hardest part waiting after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected if you studied the company's background. Nothing was technical, it was all getting to know you questions.   Answer Question

Associate Structural Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

As a female, my interviewer made me very uncomfortable. He made a joke that I would be spending my free time at Sargent and Lundy "looking out the window at boys walking by" and made jokes about how I would be constantly trying to find a boyfriend within the engineering staff. It made me feel uncomfortable and I felt demeaned as an engineer. Now, reading the reviews about Sargent and Lundy being an "Old Boys Club" I have made inferences about the culture at Sargent and Lundy.

My interview was very easy as I was not asked technical questions about my job. Instead, I was told that my job as a structures engineer at another company had no similarities to the job they were looking to fill. And basically it was suggested that since I was young (and I get the feeling that perhaps me being female was relevant) I knew nothing about engineering. I was not given an on site interview.

This interview made me feel very uncomfortable and made me appreciate the culture present at my current job.

Interview Questions
    • None. Wasn't asked much other than to briefly go over my college job that had nothing to do with engineering.   Answer Question

Structural Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy in April 2013.

Submit application at College Job Fair or online.
    Get call asking if I'm still interested.
    Submit Transcripts and Resume via email to HR rep via email.
    Schedule 4-6hour in office interview with 2 current engineers, the discipline manager and an HR rep.
    HR rep outlines the company 401k / benefits. 2 current engineers outline the day to day work. Discipline Manager outlines the expectations and how promotions work. Discipline manager and HR rep have the most say in things and most engineers will give you a positive review if your social-able and make it sound like you'd be a good guy to work with day to day.

Interview Questions
    • S&L management expects you to work lots of overtime and some of the questions are geared towards figuring out if you are willing to come in on weekends or stay past 5 during the week.   View Answer
    HR Rep called to tell me what they were offering. I was straight out of college and S&L was offering me $10,000 a year more than the next best offer I got so I just took the offer on the phone right away. Looking back I should have thanked them for the offer and then countered via email a few days later asking for a few more vacation days to start. Thats the kind of thing I've heard fellow employees say was easy to get added.

Electrical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Sargent & Lundy in March 2013.

Quick response, interview was 4 hours meeting with 5 ppl including hiring manager.
    It allowed me to meet different ppl from different levels. They called with offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    Good offer, negotiated with HR on benefits. They were easy to work with.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sargent & Lundy in July 2012.

Understanding the technical aspects is key. 4-5 interviewers will determine skillset and overall fit with the company.

Ask for relocation.