Sargent & Lundy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.2

Senior Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy (Chicago, IL).

Interview

straightforward, but too many interviewers. No stupid questions, long interview, tiring. HR explained a lot of details that sometimes were overwhelming. Two Interviewers take you out for lunch, and you have a long conversation, that sometimes is good because you understand better how they feel about the company, and you.

Senior Structural Associate I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview

Took a very long time between submitting resume and first contact with HR. Afterwards they promptly scheduled interview. Were very accommodating in allowing me a long time to transition out of my old position before starting with S&L. Interview was very simple. No questions really caught me off guard. The interview was about half the interviewer asking questions about my background, and half me asking him questions about what my roles and responsibility would be with their organization.

Interview Questions

• No questions were particularly difficult to answer. Interview was very straight forward since I'd previously worked with the interviewer (with a different company) so he was very aware of my capabilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very Simple. HR rep was great to work with, and very responsive and informative.

Mechanical Designer Interview

Interview

was not interviewed to be re-hired. since I worked there before people knew me and therefore a formal interview was not needed. since most people knew me it was back to work as usual again.

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview

Typically, you meet with 4 people; HR Represenative, a senior manager, engineer manager and a younger engineer. Interviews last for most of the day and they will take you out for lunch.

Interview Questions

• They did not really ask anything difficult. Mostly they told me about the company   Answer Question

Substation Engineer Interview

Interview

Immediately went to a sit down interview, no phone interview The interview process involved a one-on-one interview for 30 minutes with 5 different people. Very standard questions involving past work experiences and college class work. Went out to lunch with a young engineer working at the company afterwards and then went over benefits with HR member.

Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I found the job posting online and applied directly to the company, soon after I heard back via email that they wanted to bring me in for an interview. Soon after I was flown to Chicago where I met with 5 people one-on- one with various experiences within the company as well as a lunchtime meeting. The next day I was offered a job over the phone.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain some of the technical projects I had worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate with this being my first job out of college, although I wish I would have.

Entry Level Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview

Applied online a few months before seeing them at career fair. Met the lady at career fair and talked to her for about 10 minutes. Gave her my resume. Heard nothing for about 2 weeks, then got a call for a personal interview. The interview will take up the entire day.

Interview Questions

• There were not unexpected questions. Just be yourself.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview

It was a day long interview process. You met with 5 different engineers in your discipline and department. They asked you typical questions and what you did in past jobs. It was all pretty standard. They have an engineer take you out to lunch as part of the process as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very good. They were open to hear me out and responded in a timely manner.

Structural Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Met with them at a career fair event and gave them my resume, then a week later I received a call for an interview. The interview was 4 hours long, lunch included. It was very simple and to the point. I met with HR first, then 2 engineering managers and the VP of the structural engineering department all individually in a quiet room, then went to lunch with 2 newer engineers that were hired within 2-5 years. After lunch, I met back up with HR then was told I'd hear news back from them within 1-2 weeks. All of the conversations of the interview were regarding my experiences and school, internships or volunteer work. They were interested in what I was interested in and explained the management structure and benefits of working for S&L. There was nothing technical and everyone was extremely friendly. The hardest part waiting after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected if you studied the company's background. Nothing was technical, it was all getting to know you questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sargent & Lundy.

Interview

As a female, my interviewer made me very uncomfortable. He made a joke that I would be spending my free time at Sargent and Lundy "looking out the window at boys walking by" and made jokes about how I would be constantly trying to find a boyfriend within the engineering staff. It made me feel uncomfortable and I felt demeaned as an engineer. Now, reading the reviews about Sargent and Lundy being an "Old Boys Club" I have made inferences about the culture at Sargent and Lundy. My interview was very easy as I was not asked technical questions about my job. Instead, I was told that my job as a structures engineer at another company had no similarities to the job they were looking to fill. And basically it was suggested that since I was young (and I get the feeling that perhaps me being female was relevant) I knew nothing about engineering. I was not given an on site interview. This interview made me feel very uncomfortable and made me appreciate the culture present at my current job.

Interview Questions

• None. Wasn't asked much other than to briefly go over my college job that had nothing to do with engineering.   Answer Question