Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Save-A-Lot Food Stores Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

Assistant Manager Interview

over all it was a process. submitted an apllication, two days later a recruiter called with a ton of questions. called back a week later with a store tour to go on to see what its like. like two weeks later had an interview with two people. two weeks later human resources called with an offer. talked to another person went to get drug tested. a week later was ofiicially hired. overall it took like six weeks.

Other Interview Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in January 2015.

I made my resume public on a major job site and was contacted by a recruiter. I was asked to go fill out the online application, which I did after a little research. I was set up for a phone interview with the recruiter within a few days. There was nothing extraordinary about the phone interview.

The next step is an online test. This is one of the most difficult online tests I have come across mainly revolving around general business skills (scheduling, profit margins, etc.). I was sure I tanked it. They call you to let you know if you pass it then you are set up for a store tour.

The tour consists of walking around with a store manager telling you some basic expectations and you are free to ask questions. This is as much a physical job as mental so I'm sure they want to get a look at you as well.

Then is the sit down interview with a pair of DM's. Again nothing extraordinary, basically work history questions. I had done my research on the company so it went very smoothly. I did not walk out of there very confident that I landed the job at all but I got the phone call the next morning.

My best advice going into these interviews is to show your knowledge of the company and grocery business. Then when answering the work history questions use examples of your willingness to do anything. You are interviewing for a hands on job more then a manager position so let that show.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult interview questions but the online test was extremely difficult.   Answer Question
    Pay rate was discussed during the interview process. The offer came in higher then the amount we talked about so I accepted it.

Assistant Manager Interview

Basic questions. If you have basic management skills you will be fine. Phone interview with recruiter. Next was face to face with district manager. Then a phone call with another district manager. Process was quick after that.

Simple negatiation

Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores.

Strung along by an HR person, the initial process takes up to 2 months (including interview). You interview with whatever DM is in the interview rotation. Each DM is different and the majority have no formal (or informal) interview training. Judging by the quality of ASM's we get, and my own experience, I would be surprised if a candidate experienced a tough interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Standard boiler-plate. Know your numbers, have a few stories / experiences, typical stuff. Keep it simple. No one will be impressed with how smart you are and if you show off too much you might noe be deemed a good fit.   Answer Question
    I faxed a copy of my previous paycheck and they matched it. Simple.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in March 2012.

First, I was given a phone interview in which the screener asked what I knew about the company's philosophy and market. I said it was a low-income market and the company focused on promoting their own private brand which would help trigger higher gross profit than the average grocer. I also stated that the company focuses on a smaller, more specific inventory, so as not to have a million things to confuse or frustrate customers. The company wants customers to be able to come in, purchase their necessities, and get out without long lines or aisles. I was sent to the "Training Store" in the DFW area which was run by a female manager. She basically told me that 80% of your job will be stocking and merchandising the store. They need to know that the people they hire can physically handle the labor involved, as well as, have retail experience to learn the operational side of the business. I got a call a few days later saying I would have a 1:1 interview with the District Manager. It was a guy, and he seemed nice and the interview went well...or so I thought. He asked me more operations side questions about my current company's sales:payroll percentage, MTM sales, GP%, my availability, my reason for wanting to leave my current company, and my salary requirements. It isn't a salary position. It is an amount you request (let's say $45k) which will be broken down into an hourly rate, and you will be guaranteed 40 hours. You typically will be closing 3-4 days a week leaving the store somewhere between 10:30 to 11:30 depending on how busy or short-handed you are. Anyway, I left thinking I did well, but I got a phone call from the corporate office letting me know they chose someone else. So, the plus side is that you will hear something from the corporate office either way via a phone call, if you make it this far. The negative is that the phone call might not be a happy one. Hope this helps

Interview Questions
    • After being with your current company for so long, what about our organization makes you feel you will be happier with us, as opposed to where you are now?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in February 2011.

Was some what of a long hiring process with online assessment tests and phone interview and then finally a face to face interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in January 2011.

Long, tedious, and painful

There was no negotiation

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in May 2010.

Fairly thorough process. Several interviews with district managers, store managers, personnel and sometimes regional manager. Standard drug and background check. Online testing both for job knowledge and emotional issues. Overall not a bad process. It was helpful to go through the process knowing that they had a training program in place if you did make it to the position. Be aware that even though they are a good company to work for they are not as good at following up on the bonuses that seem to be promised in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you for your faults as well as strengths. The usuual questions about honesty.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in July 2009.

the test time and with question that have any thing to do with working. on the dm interview and direct interview both ask the same question

Interview Questions
    • what is the most import quality that a store manager must posses to be successful.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in January 2010.

The first interview was a standard phone interview with a representive from human resources. I was then invited to complete an online assestment. The assestment was timed. Then I was scheduled for an in-person interview. The interview was a panel type with standard questions and hypotheticals.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had to employees engaged in a racially charged argument.   View Answer
    I was given what I asked for.