Save-A-Lot Food Stores Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in May 2014.

Lots of back and forth. Process took 6 weeks. Began with a call from a recruiter in Florida. She asks standard questions. If you have another job pending DO NOT mention it. Next take online assessment. And interview with DM if you do well. Then one more interview with regional mgr. Then HR will call to verify work history and etc.

Interview Questions
  • Standard questions about talent development and mgr duties. If you have mgr experience you should do fine. They are relaxed during interview but don't let that fool you.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in April 2014.

I applied online, and got a phone call from an HR representative 4 days later. He pretty much went over my work history and the culture of save-a-lot. From there he scheduled a store tour a few days later at the training store in my area. He asked some general work related questions, and then took me on a tour of the store. A week later I was scheduled a face to face panel interview with 2 district managers. They asked work history questions, and why I wanted to leave my current employer, and were telling me they are looking for strong people for the perishable departments. I was then told I would recieve a phone call letting me know if I got the position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you fix on hand issues not knowing are systems?   Answer Question
    They were very negotianable, I asked for a lower amount than I was making, and they exceeded what I was currently making.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in May 2013.

I had a phone interview with a member of their human resources. After looking at their company reviews on line, I was a little skeptical about their company. One of the first things they brought up is the fact this is a hands on job and that as a manager you're not really a manager but a worker. It doesn't seem like a smart position to build a career.

Interview Questions

I didn't like the vibe I got from the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in June 2012.

just be open and honest about the position you want and why you should be the person in that position. they are looking for people that have a steady work output and can multi task at high levels.

Interview Questions
    it is there if needed but offer given was more then acceptible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in January 2011.

Fairly lengthy interview process of about 2 months with a phone interview, regional interview, and DM panel interview. They did stay in touch regarding the interview process and expectations for the next steps in the process. The compensation offered for the position can vary quite a bit and future increases are substantially limited.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in August 2009.

Initially had a 1 on 1 interview with HR recruiter : Went over job description, and briefly introduced myself.
    Next, scheduled store tour to visit facility and see daily operations, while touring the location.
    Third, I took an few online assessments which arent too hard, and they give you more than enough time to complete.
    Pending test results, You make me called for a face to face interview with the HR recruiter.
    At this point, if you have suceeded with the HR recruiter, you will be interviewed by district managers. The Hr recruiter as well as district managers will ask various job related questions ( what would you do in this situation?, What did you do in the past if.....?)

My advice to all interviewees is to of course be yourself, and be descriptive with your solutions, because in the grocery industry we must think outside the box on mutiple occassions to solve a problem.

Interview Questions
    • How would you increase sales and store traffic without changing current pricing strategy withtin a specific area.   View Answer
    I didnt have a problem with the initial offer. I accepted it. Great opportunity for industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in April 2008.

Found the job on Craigs List, one phone interview, one in-person interview with DM, and then a job offer.

They offered me what I requested. Turns out it was the mid-point of their salary range.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in June 2012.

Each step is very well explained and follow up is pretty consistent. I had an initial phone interview, then a skills and personality assessment test. After that, I received the call that I would move on to the next step, which is a face to face interview. Upon completion of that, I then received a call to schedule a phone interview. Then I got a call for the final face to face interview. Then it was the standard background check, reference check and drug test. Overall, a lengthy process, but it shows the company picks quality people and not just a warm body to fill positions.

Interview Questions
    They have a range. I did not need to negotiate as they made me an offer within my range.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in June 2009.

1) Pre-screening interview in person; 1on1 with HR rep.
    2) 60-90min store tour with existing store manager.
    3) 90 min Online aptitude and personality tests.
    4) 1on1 interview with HR rep consisting of primarily behavioral-style questions (eg. "Describe a situation where you had to fix someone else's mistake and what was the ultimate outcome?")
    5) Same type interview as above two more times with two operations-mangmnt reps.
    6) Received offer 3 days after last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail a situation where a problem arose due to cultural differences and how you intervened to resolve the issue.   Answer Question
    I was not looking to negotiate, as I was satisfied with the initial offer. However, during the interview process, I made it known that I was also interviewing with other companies. The offer was pretty competitive with other offers I'd received.

I would not say the interview process is difficult, but it is longer than necessary. There's much repetition.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in February 2008.

The process of the interview was base on customer service. How to prevent shrink, Provide daily fresh products to our curtomers. Provide great instock conditions for our customer needs.Total store opperations and
    financials.