Save the Children

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.9

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children.

The phone interview was set up via e-mail by and HR person how confirmed that she would initiate the call. Questions were general and then relied on the the position description.

The in person (1:1) interview was set up by one of the project team members.

The 1:1 interview was strange and somewhat unprofessional. The Interviewer was pleasant but seemed unprepared and inexperienced. For example, the interviewer had not previously reviewed my resume and left me in the interview room to get a drink. There were few questions about my work experience or technical skills. Interviewer asked personal questions and spoke more if his/her own experience and then basically insulted everyone who didn't work in her specific field.

Interview Questions
    • Have you spoken to your family about this position?   View Answer

Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Save the Children.

Initial communications were clear via email and phone. The process can be longer as people travel within the company.

Distribution/Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rājanpur, Punjab (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rājanpur, Punjab (Pakistan)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Save the Children in October 2011.

What is Distribution procedure?
    How to request the commodities for distribution?
    how to manage if any problem occurred at distribution point?
    What is SRF?
    What is Outlet Report?

Interview Questions
    • what will your first action if quarrel occurred in the community?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children in September 2014.

got a call from Beijing HQ office for scheduling an interview in Shanghai;
    the interview consists of one manager, one HR, and one HR from Beijing HQ (by phone);
    it lasts about half an hour;
    later they gave me 40 minutes to come out with an action plan, given a specific topic. It has to be in English.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what is my expected salary for this position, I said working in NGO has always been my dream and I know it perfectly that NGO is not a place for seeking big fortune. As long as it's reasonable I'm fine with it. Two days later they called me and gave me offer, the salary was satisfying, especially comparing to local NGOs in China.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children.

Hiring starts by advertisement then after deadline of application takes two weeks for selection, one is then invited for an interview which is basically a written assessment then if successful you are then invited for an interview which is an oral interview where there will be a panel of 3-5 mostly 3 people,a department guy who will be basically your supervisor, a hr guy and one person from the administration department or support service personnel.If you are successful you will be send an email notifying you that your referee are being contacted and they will be sent forms to fill about your conduct and how well they know you such stuff.Each process takes two weeks,the written interview will be technical questions that will measure how well you are in your are of specialty. The oral interview will consist of the general part of the interview and technical part restrictively. Caution some people have both interviews at the same day depending on the urgency of the position/recruitment so come prepared for any of the two cases.All the best contract for internship is 3 months and will be extended by a month or max 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • 5 Policies that you would put in place to ensure safeguarding of cash and cash equivalents   View Answer
    The salary negotiation was during the second interview where i quoted four times the standard pay for kenyan national interns which is ksh 15,000 since i had seen that UK interns earn usd 1200 as stipend but that was just for protocol the salary is standard that you will know when receiveing contract form after you have passed the inerview

Documentation Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Save the Children in March 2012.

2 interviews i have gave.

Foold Security and Livelihoods Community Mobilization Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Save the Children in September 2010.

Save the Children conducted test to short list the candidates for interviews. After that shortlisted candidates were called for interviews. A panel of six persons including HR, Program, Child Protection conducted interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When the child rights ordnance passed in Pakistan   View Answer
    I only negotiated on salary............and posting place

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Save the Children in March 2013.

There were two telephone interviews. The first was an initial screening with the department assistant. The second was with the hiring manager. Both were straightforward. I was asked to describe my relevant experience and how I could contribute to the team. I prepared by reading relevant Save the Children publications.

Interview Questions
    • What advice can you offer us for improving our organization?   View Answer

Desktop Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Save the Children in March 2008.

The first interview was a brief interview with H.R. for screening purposes. The second interview was a few days later with the IT manager and a couple folks from the team. I was asked the usual desktop support questions and it went very well. I was invited back for a third interview witht the IT director a few days after that. This interview consisted more of the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" type questions. This also went very well. Here is my gripe... I was never notified. I waited two weeks or so and finally emailed the IT manager. He replied that they found someone that better fit the position. OK, great, but don't leave people hanging like that. Very annoying because it's not easy getting to these interviews (mid day mind you so I have to take time from work) and they don't have the courtesy to call or even email you? After 3 interviews?

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example where you were not able to solve a problem and what did you do about it?   View Answer

Communications Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Save the Children in August 2009.

It was a phone interview followed by a one on one. It was very competitive and I think most candidates were hugely overqualified for the position.