Savers

2.2

Mid Level Corporate Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Savers.

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter. After that I attended an in person interview with the recruiter. A week or so later, I came back and had an interview with a different recruiter. I then came back a third time and met with two different business people. The entire experience was positive, and was not scary at all. They didn't ask crazy or annoying questions. I was told that it would be a while before they could make a decision, and so I waited and then I eventually received a job offer about a month after my last interview, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Experience with computer programs; recommended computer programs (I am not a tech position)   Answer Question
    I accepted what I was offered.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Savers in November 2014.

Got a call was supposed to interview next day. Go there she's not there..but someone else interviewed me seemed rushed because another worker kept needing my interviewer sitting on a dirty windowsill in front for all the world could see..then had another interview then was asked to come back to interview one more time with the one who was SUPPOSED to do the first hat seemed good she said she voted yes and blah blah led me to think I was good waited a few days called to follow up to be told UNFORTUNATELY we decided to go another route ..inexperienced management glad I didn't fit...

Interview Questions
    • Was basic and could have answered butter and she still wouldn't had paid attention.   Answer Question

Sales Clerk/Cashier Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Savers in August 2014.

I asked an cashier where and whom I was to speak to for the interview. I came a bit early so there was some waiting to be had. Once I met the store manager we went to the office to have the first interview. It was a average to medium interview with an manager, a tour of departments, and then one more interview with lower manager, everyone was pretty nice and professional. I met all the managerial people.

Interview Questions
    • what can you contribute to working at savers?   View Answer
    Will I be able to do work that is not necessary what I was hired for?

Production Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Savers.

there was 2 interveiws. i was asked same question twice in a row i thought that was weird after i just answered it they asked the same thing again. very basic questions not hard at all. just questions that describe you like "a time when you..." questions.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Savers.

applied online and was interviewed probably a month later as they were in the process of opening a new store. Interviewed by 2 friendly managers (they gave out candy!) and had a good/easy conversation with them.

Interview Questions
    • what does savers do, what are they known for?   View Answer

min wage...take forever to adv.

Store Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Savers in June 2014.

Submitted resume online and was called by a recruiter within about 2 hours and was asked to formally apply on their online website, which I did. Heard nothing for about 3 weeks and then got a phone call from the Store Manager of one of their locations. Went in for an interview 2 days later. Was about the same as other's experiences in that I was given a tour of the building and then sat down for a one on one interview with the store manager. There seemed to be a lack of professionalism in that the store manager asked me very few questions, but proceeded to talk her personal life, about her position with the company, that her employees didn't respect her, and then she proceeded to give me her resume.

As it would turn out she brought me in to be a reduced salary supervisor and that she had already filled her sales manager position, which was unexpected because I have 15 years of retail management experience. But, I was told it was because I didn't look good on paperwork. Apparently the only thing that matters to them about their applicant is their score on the People's Answer assessment test and very little else comes into play.

I withdrew my application before I left the interview as I knew it was not the right position for me, but the manager proceeded to send me a "no thank you" letter two day later anyway.

I left the interview feeling angry and someone amazed in that if she was the typical Savers employee, I had less respect for the company as a whole. It was both a waste of my time and theirs.

The best advice I can give is talk about exact positions and salaries early on. Hopefully not all of their store managers are like that.

Interview Questions
    • very little questions asked...the only main one was "would I prefer to work in the front of the store or the back?" This was a trick question in that she was expecting me to say the front because it was easier, but as she made me suspicious of her early on was pointless.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bountiful, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bountiful, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Savers in May 2014.

I filled out an application online, and they called me to schedule an interview. I was hired fairly quickly as they were desperate to hire people that didn't feel the positions that they'd applied for.
    The interview was just a number of questions, and they wrote down your answer in front of you.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was fairly straight-forward and easy to understand.   Answer Question
    Make sure you assert what hours and days you will and will not be able to work, and they'll definitely consider it.

Production Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Savers.

Hired on the spot. I was willing to work weekends.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Savers in April 2014.

The interview was a 3 part process. To begin, a Store Manager gave me a tour of the store beginning with the stockroom and explained all the different stations from receiving the donations to pulling the non-sellable and baling it for donation. The manager then educated me on the product rotation system that they utilize to ensure that no merchandise older than 4 weeks stays out on the sales floor. The second part was the interview process with another Store Manager who was asking me all the traditional questions and really made it a point to say the word "specific" a lot. After the manager's portion of the interview process I then asked some of my prepared questions. After asking a couple, I discovered that they were not interviewing and hiring for a Store Manager position but it was a job fair type of atmosphere and that they were just looking to "build their bench". If I was offered a position and accepted it would be a Production Manager or Front End Manager position and that if I was to be hired in as a Store Manager the company would take that rate of pay and put it into an hourly rate and pay me that way until an actual Store Manager position opened and then I would be transitioned to a salaried rate. I then was asked to stay for a second interview and this was performed by yet another Store Manager. While I was there I never met or encountered anyone for the company higher than a Store Manager which I found very intriguing. Usually you have someone higher in pay grade interviewing for a Store Manager position, not someone of the same rank. Again, this Store Manager asked me the same identical questions that the other Store Manager asked me and this one was still obsessed and overused the word, specific. The Store Managers in the interviews acted like the company was something that was really difficult for a lot of people to comprehend because it is a "thrift-store environment". It's very simple, the donations come in, you separate them, process them, price them and then you take them to the sales floor. It's identical in almost every sense of the word with just about any type of other big box retailer with a large volume of softlines (clothing). I really wish I could have met a District Manager so I could have got their understanding of what is expected of their store management teams. I told the last interviewing Store Manager of the reviews I read about Savers on Glassdoor.com and he was somewhat taken back and really did not know about the type of reviews the company was getting and their approval ratings of 2.2 stars and a 27% Willing to Recommend rating for employees to recommend Savers as a place to work. He assured me that the company is aware that the management needs to be better and that they need to change the culture.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were elementary and scripted. The Store Managers never really varied or tried to own the interviews. They seemed to be very adamant on following the prepared interview forms.   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Savers.

My first interview was with HR manager and second interview with district manager.