Savvis Interview Questions

2.9

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Savvis in November 2011.

The process is effective and you don't end up feeling lost in a shuffle. The timelines between applying and hiring can be long due to the internal process of approving the job req after posting etc. This can mean some good potential candidates are lost to other positions while waiting for the Savvis positions.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions seemed very relevant to the position and to the experience of the candidate. Military experience in a mission critical environment (such as submarine engine room operations) are highly valued.   Answer Question
    You will have to convince the hiring manager of your value because they will be the one fighting internally to get you a salary. If you deserve other than the bottom of their band, you need the person you interview with at the site to fight for you so do your best to convince them of your benefit as well as the possibility that inadequate pay may result in them losing you.

Web Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Savvis.

Received a call from HR explaining the role and if I was interested. Once confirmed I was a fit, they scheduled a face to face interview. The entire process was easy and well planned.

Interview Questions
    • The person interviewing me didnt know a thing about web administration, so there was no big surprises. This has since changed and the people doing the interviews are extremely technical.   Answer Question
    They are very responsive, but there isn't much negotiation.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Savvis in June 2012.

Company is full of deceptions, not truthful, Century Link bought them out and I can see that they will be re-org again under the Century Link umbrella, which means some Sr. managers will be tossed out and replaced with corporate people who know how to run a company. Sorry But I lost interest.

Interview Questions

Company is full of deceptions, not truthful,

Product Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Town and Country, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Town and Country, MO

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Savvis in May 2012.

Applied online, HR calls to set up interview with Hiring Manager. Interview with Hiring Manager "appears" to go well (the "atmosphere" of the interview naturally flows to where the Hiring Manager visually "shakes" themselves to "end" the interview as they realized time was getting away (they enjoyed the conversation). But then never heard back although they said that I would fit in with no problem due to my personality and skill set. In the end, never heard back and position "disappeared" off the job list.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked about other people that work for the company.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Savvis in March 2012.

Had an initial technical phone screen with one of the developers. Then was invited to a face to face interview with the hiring manager and then met with a couple other developers and finally one other manager. The interview consisted of more technical questions and general questions. The developers are very technical and we discussed the entire technical spectrum from memory (heap/stack), caching technologies, Java, SOAP vs. REST. The manager questions were more generic such as what is your short-term, mid-term, long-term career strategy, how do you manage deadlines, how do you handle being a part of an understaffed project.

Interview Questions
    • You've been tasked to architect / design an ecommerce website. What technology stack would you choose and why?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between SOAP and REST Web Service?   Answer Question
    Yes. I was asked what I was looking for in terms of compensation and was told afterwards that it was higher than what they had anticipated, but they were able to match it.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Savvis in January 2010.

The panel interview was good, the interviewees asked good technical questions and very personable. It is good to review on basic technical stuff and read on current articles. Be able to differentiate servers and their benefits.

Interview Questions
    • What are the ports for httpd and https.   View Answer

Product Management and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Savvis in November 2011.

Had a 30 minute interview with hiring manager. Went well and set up a face to face with hiring manager and his boss. Never received any feedback. Sent several follow ups with no response.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Savvis in June 2011.

The interviewing process was the only professional process I experienced while at Savvis. The hiring process was a mess -- they utilized a 3rd party to conduct the reference reviews, academic & criminal background check a long drawn out process and the HR representative didn't have any confidence on how long it would take to complete and from my experience and everyone I spoke to everyone's hire date had to be pushed out to later dates. Once in the company there is no training, yet you will be held accountable and graded unfairly this is their way of trying to manage you by fear. It appears that their management staff are someone's friend and so they don't need to be qualified for the position. The workplace culture is one of disrespect to employees and workloads that are not doable. The employees performance is measured against unattainable targets, so you can see how easily the culture can be demotivating. Unfortunately, the environment does not allow anyone to be successful.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you deal with difficult people within your own team?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was like a tennis match -- we went back & forth several times. In the final outcome I was able to get what I asked for, but in hindset I lost. I had another job offer that I now found out was with a "healthy" workplace/culture. Taking the Savvis offer was one of the biggest mistakes in judgment I have ever taken. Bottom line, I won the negotiation, but lost big time in the end.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Savvis in August 2011.

HR was very helpful. My inside referral helped me get an interview with a Global VP and two Senior Directors without a phone screening interview. The company seems to want to promote technical engineers into management when that isn't the best thing to do. They have several young and inexperienced personnel in management.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Savvis in March 2011.

Interviewed with the VP. She was extremely cordial and had nice interpersonal skills. I interviewed for an internship just to get my foot in the door. The position, I'm guessing, was for those still in school. I graduated a semester before the interview so I guess that is why I have heard nothing with respect to the interview. The interview was brief, 40 mins, in which the usual questions were asked and then a powerpoint presentation followed. It is rather disappointing that when someone has a title that includes the word communication they do not respond to follow-up emails. I wrote two; one the day of thanking her for the interview and the other a month later. Still not one response and as a communications major I have to say that responding to emails is pretty basic. Without being able to communicate via email it makes me wonder what they mean by communication.