Savvis Interview Questions in Saint Louis, MO

2.8

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Savvis in January 2013.

I applied online. I was contacted by an HR staff member who set up a technical telephone interview with a database engineer employee. There was some confusion in setting up the telephone interview by the HR staff. The interviewer was from India and was difficult to understand. Every question asked wasn't something that any DBA or DBE would not know off the top of their heads -- most of the answers to his questions I have in installation checklists and white paper documents. Quite frankly, my wife, who is not technical, was listening and watching as I did the phone interview. She was frustrated by the questions and the tone of the interview -- much different from many of the other phone interviews I have participated in...

Interview Questions
    • Most all of the questions asked were not really relevent to day-to-day DBA/DBE operations. For example, one question asked was how the database model changed when a recovery was performed -- the model shouldn't change, it should be as the model was when the backup was done -- but he wouldn't accept that answer. Another asked how I would troubleshoot a performance problem. As I mentioned methodolgies and tools I would use, SQL Nexus, Profiler, DMVs, etc., the interviewer took all of them away until there was nothing practical left to use, then insisted that I tell him more. I think he may have been taken back a bit when I indicated that if he wasn't going to allow me to use any of the tools I know, that I would leave the client stuck with their own performance problem -- frankly, if the DBA/DBE and client can't work together, using tools that make sense and solve problems, why bother? I really do hope their work environment isn't that way...   Answer Question

Web Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Savvis.

Received a call from HR explaining the role and if I was interested. Once confirmed I was a fit, they scheduled a face to face interview. The entire process was easy and well planned.

Interview Questions
    • The person interviewing me didnt know a thing about web administration, so there was no big surprises. This has since changed and the people doing the interviews are extremely technical.   Answer Question
    They are very responsive, but there isn't much negotiation.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Savvis in June 2012.

Company is full of deceptions, not truthful, Century Link bought them out and I can see that they will be re-org again under the Century Link umbrella, which means some Sr. managers will be tossed out and replaced with corporate people who know how to run a company. Sorry But I lost interest.

Interview Questions

Company is full of deceptions, not truthful,

Product Management and Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Savvis in November 2011.

Had a 30 minute interview with hiring manager. Went well and set up a face to face with hiring manager and his boss. Never received any feedback. Sent several follow ups with no response.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Savvis in August 2011.

HR was very helpful. My inside referral helped me get an interview with a Global VP and two Senior Directors without a phone screening interview. The company seems to want to promote technical engineers into management when that isn't the best thing to do. They have several young and inexperienced personnel in management.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Savvis in June 2011.

The interviewing process was the only professional process I experienced while at Savvis. The hiring process was a mess -- they utilized a 3rd party to conduct the reference reviews, academic & criminal background check a long drawn out process and the HR representative didn't have any confidence on how long it would take to complete and from my experience and everyone I spoke to everyone's hire date had to be pushed out to later dates. Once in the company there is no training, yet you will be held accountable and graded unfairly this is their way of trying to manage you by fear. It appears that their management staff are someone's friend and so they don't need to be qualified for the position. The workplace culture is one of disrespect to employees and workloads that are not doable. The employees performance is measured against unattainable targets, so you can see how easily the culture can be demotivating. Unfortunately, the environment does not allow anyone to be successful.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you deal with difficult people within your own team?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was like a tennis match -- we went back & forth several times. In the final outcome I was able to get what I asked for, but in hindset I lost. I had another job offer that I now found out was with a "healthy" workplace/culture. Taking the Savvis offer was one of the biggest mistakes in judgment I have ever taken. Bottom line, I won the negotiation, but lost big time in the end.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Savvis in March 2011.

Interviewed with the VP. She was extremely cordial and had nice interpersonal skills. I interviewed for an internship just to get my foot in the door. The position, I'm guessing, was for those still in school. I graduated a semester before the interview so I guess that is why I have heard nothing with respect to the interview. The interview was brief, 40 mins, in which the usual questions were asked and then a powerpoint presentation followed. It is rather disappointing that when someone has a title that includes the word communication they do not respond to follow-up emails. I wrote two; one the day of thanking her for the interview and the other a month later. Still not one response and as a communications major I have to say that responding to emails is pretty basic. Without being able to communicate via email it makes me wonder what they mean by communication.

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Savvis in August 2009.

The interview process started with a headhunter who did a phone interview with me. Kudos to the headhunter because he really sold me on the role and the area which initially didn't hit my radar screen. I then proceeded on to a phone interview with the HR VP and SVP, both were very nice on the phone and asked general questions about my background. We then proceeded to an onsite interview where I met with the business leader I would be supporting, my future boss - VP of HR and several of my co-workers and colleagues. The interviews were all very standard with background information shared and general interview questions. The building was very nice, but I picked up on chaos within the HR department. No one showed up to the interviews on time, there was even two individual who I was scheduled with that decided to "take the day off". This should have been my first clue as to what the culture was like, but I was too forgiving and let it pass.

Interview Questions
    • Describe two people you most admire and would view them as mentors in your career   View Answer
    The salary offered was above average, the bonus potential offered was good - what I didn't realize until started working there was that it was highly unlikely that it would be achieved. The relocation package was standard but found them to be very helpful and understanding with temporary housing and extending the time to move.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Savvis in May 2008.

I was just moved to the position with no interview,

Interview Questions
    My position was sort of in the bag, so I didnt really negotiate.