Schenectady County Community College

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Schenectady, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Schenectady County Community College.

Interview Details – I was called to arrange an interview fairly quickly (1-2 weeks) after I had applied for the job posting. The interview had two phases, a phone interview and an in-person interview. Both interviews were conducted with a selection committee, which consisted of faculty members. During the phone interview, they asked about my background and questions relating to if I could do the job. For the in-person interview, they asked me to prepare a short lecture for a very specific topic they had predetermined, to judge my teaching ability.

Interview Question – They asked ridiculous questions regarding the mock lecture, that only someone who knew they would ask those questions would have been prepared to answer. The interview was biased towards those who had taught that specific lecture before.   Answer Question

Part Time Academic Advisor Interview

Part Time Academic Advisor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Schenectady County Community College in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called about interview and emailed a confirmation. Finding the office was difficult, but the interview was very relaxed. Two people interviewed me. Went back and forth with the questions and allowed me to answer easily. It only took like 10 minutes and I never heard back even though they said they would call the next week.

Interview Question – What training do you think you would need if hired?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schenectady County Community College.

Interview Details – I was contacted for an initial interview about a week after the closing date for the position. My first interview was with a team of four people who took turns going around the table and asking me scripted questions. Questions were not unusual, but not totally typical either. They were clearly written from the job competencies and designed to get at specific experiences. The interview lasted about 50 minutes and there was very little interaction or unscripted conversation. About 10 days later, I got a call for a second interview. The second interview was with the Department Head and although he had written questions he was working from, it was much less formal, with more opportunity for give and take. This interview lasted an hour and 40 minutes. At the end, I was told what the remainder of the hiring process would look like. That afternoon, they started contacting my references and completed the reference checking the next day. That was about three months ago and I have not heard a word from them since. I confirmed via the web site that they hired someone. I've never had the experience of having been a finalist, had my references checked and then never received any follow-up (and yes, my references were good. They got me my current position).

Interview Question – I was given a hypothetical situation where I had to prioritize or rank order how I would respond to four requests.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Schenectady County Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schenectady County Community College interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schenectady County Community College employees and interview candidates.