Schlumberger Interview Questions in Aberdeen, Scotland

Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.9

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

Process was very straight forward. Applied online and submitted a CV. No cover letter required. Talked to one of the engineering recruiters at my university's careers fair. She passed on her contact card and took my CV. I later received an email for an invite to an assessment centre in Aberdeen.

The assessment centre consisted of an introduction to Schlumberger and how their business operates. Be prepared to ask questions and answer queries regarding the companies history. There were timed IQ style tests that lasted approximately 1 hr. It is key to be prepared at this stage and make sure to practice as much as possible. There were no numerical style questions. One of the tests consisted of 3x3 matrices where you have to discover a pattern in a small amount of time.

Later we carried out our self-presentations that were prepared in advance and assembled a valve with an interview to follow.

Interview Questions
    • each candidate had to assemble a diaphragm valve (for gas) within 5 minutes with parts missing. Its important to remain calm at this stage and not to be thrown off. If you do not assemble it within the allocated time, talk about what you would have done to complete the valve. You are provided a cross sectional drawing and not an exploded diagram. They later asked the usual HR questions and what product line interests you the most.   Answer Question

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

We started the day with a presentation about the company and was asked questions during this. The questions were basic things you can find on the schlumberger home page: who were the founders and in what year, number if employees etc.
    After this we had our individual tests. These were a mechanical or electrical one to begin with then 2 psychometric tests. If you have any doubt about which one to choose I'd definitely choose the mechanical one.
    We then had our individual presentations, follow by lunch then the group exercises. On this we had to build a tower out of 20 sheets of paper and Sellotape which was strong and stable enough to hold an iPhone on top of it for 10 seconds.
    After this we had the individual interviews. This was pretty straight forward. We were asked to put together a valve using a drawing and then asked a few basic questions and sent home. Still waiting to hear the outcome in a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you were offered the position would you have any initial concerns.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

I was invited to the assessment centre in Aberdeen where a full day event was conducted.
    The day started with 3 psychometric tests, these were unlike others I have seen in the industry where the first was a logic sequence, however in a 3x3 grid with 1 square missing, the 2nd was a circuit like problem where different components altered the shape going through it in terms of size, colour and shape type this was fairly easy, the last test was also component based and fairly logical.
    After a break we worked in a group to make a structure out of paper we could all stand under. We had lunch and then there were pre prepared presentations from all candidates and individual interviews.
    The staff were fairly friendly, however a more holistic approach would have been better rather than telling people to leave after not scoring well in the tests which is quite intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • The psychometric tests were unexpected.   View Answer

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Why didn't you do a masters degree?

Interview Questions
    Fixed Salary, no negotiation!

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Got offered an assessment center a week after applying, was a full day in Aberdeen. right from the start was the toughest interview i've ever had! we waited in the canteen at the start of the day then were lead into a room and with no introductions or anything were told there's 3 different logic tests on the table, we have one hour and anyone who gets under 70% their day is over. so a pretty stressful start.
    4 of the 12 failed the test and after that things were a bit more relaxed with a long talk about how the industry works and where Schlumberger fits into this. next we had to give a 5 minute presentation about ourselves which was all fairly straight forward. after lunch there was a group exercise where we had to build a structure for 3 people to fit under out of 25 sheets of paper and some selotape. my team built a Teepee which was the best one.
    finally there was a practical test where we had to assemble a valve and the interview. the interview was very standard compitency questions however the women asking the questions seemed very disinterested and not impressed by my answers which knocked my confidence a bit and my interview only lasted 10 minutes compared to 30 for everyone else. i think this was because i was the last person and we had allready ran over time. i thought the day went terribly and wasnt expecting anything to come but 3 weeks later i got an offer!

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you've been shouted at or told off by a customer or coworker who wasnt happy with your work   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview process was poorly structured and the day was ended abruptly with very poor communication between recruiters and interviewees.

Field Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

I met a member of the Schlumberger HR department who was presenting at a college careers event. He accepted my CV and I got an email nearer the end of my course, which was about two months later inviting me for an interview at their "assessment centre".

The assessment centre was a group interview (twelve candidates) which lasted the whole day. Dress code was "smart casual" which pretty much meant suit but no tie. It included a presentation on the company (during which we were questioned on) an aptitude test based on mechanical and technical knowledge, group task where we had to work in teams to build a tower out of paper and sellotape, an individual presentation which was five minutes and a few slides on ourselves and our career goals and finally a one to one interview comprising of pretty standard interview questions.

It appeared that we were assessed throughout the whole day not just during the tasks. I attempted to engage with the other candidates and the assessor shaking their hand, making eye contact and making relaxed chit chat between activities and during lunch.

I commented that I had enjoyed the day and that the group task was particularly interesting as I enjoyed working with my team who were very competent and good to work with. This seemed to go down well with the assessor.

Overall it was a good experience which I enjoyed and learned a lot from.

Interview Questions
    • At the start of the one to one interview I was asked to assemble a valve (within a time limit of a few minutes) based on a technical drawing and a box of components which were presented to me.   View Answers (3)

My two year technical diploma (HND) which was required for this position also qualified me to enter university at year three which I chose to do instead of taking this position.

Student Intern- Health & Safety Chemicals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

I applied through their website and uploaded my CV for the research part. About 4 months later I got an email asking whether I would want to be considered for this placement and accepted. Then I had a telephone interview with the HSE manager which was fine because I had prepared basic questions. Ones I got asked were: Tell me about yourself, Name an interesting fact about yourself, Any hobbies, Where you see yourself in five years time?, Leadership example, What do you know about Schlumberger?, Why do you want to work here?. Overall the phone interview was easy and after that I did not need another interview so received an acceptance email.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness? I always find this question hardest to answer   Answer Question
    No negotiation, had just over a week to sign the form and email it back

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

After submitting CV online was invited for interview after 8 weeks. The interview was not so difficult. The questions asked are mostly on CV. To my fortune, there was any behaviour questions. After interview I was invited to assessment center.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Consisted of two tests, one of which was logic and the other was problem solving, weren't too hard to be honest.

Then had a presentation from them which seemed like they were trying to convince us not to work for them, saying we would have very little social life for first two years, might have to work in terrible conditions and its a 4/5 year course but would most likely take 6 apparently??

Then had a group task, had to construct a tower out of paper to hold a bottle of juice, good fun. Followed then by 5 minute presentation on ourselves we had prepared with questions, all questions on the presentation, nothing tricky what so ever, just be honest.

Finally had to construct a valve with a set time limit, which was tricky but I think everyone managed it.

Honestly wasn't the best interview, had several others, all of which seemed better planned prepared and actually made me want to work for their company.