Schlumberger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Specialist Interview

Field Specialist
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

Interview Details – I met a member of the Schlumberger HR department who was presenting at a college careers event. He accepted my CV and I got an email nearer the end of my course, which was about two months later inviting me for an interview at their "assessment centre".

The assessment centre was a group interview (twelve candidates) which lasted the whole day. Dress code was "smart casual" which pretty much meant suit but no tie. It included a presentation on the company (during which we were questioned on) an aptitude test based on mechanical and technical knowledge, group task where we had to work in teams to build a tower out of paper and sellotape, an individual presentation which was five minutes and a few slides on ourselves and our career goals and finally a one to one interview comprising of pretty standard interview questions.

It appeared that we were assessed throughout the whole day not just during the tasks. I attempted to engage with the other candidates and the assessor shaking their hand, making eye contact and making relaxed chit chat between activities and during lunch.

I commented that I had enjoyed the day and that the group task was particularly interesting as I enjoyed working with my team who were very competent and good to work with. This seemed to go down well with the assessor.

Overall it was a good experience which I enjoyed and learned a lot from.

Interview Question – At the start of the one to one interview I was asked to assemble a valve (within a time limit of a few minutes) based on a technical drawing and a box of components which were presented to me.   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – My two year technical diploma (HND) which was required for this position also qualified me to enter university at year three which I chose to do instead of taking this position.

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to the assessment centre in Aberdeen where a full day event was conducted.
The day started with 3 psychometric tests, these were unlike others I have seen in the industry where the first was a logic sequence, however in a 3x3 grid with 1 square missing, the 2nd was a circuit like problem where different components altered the shape going through it in terms of size, colour and shape type this was fairly easy, the last test was also component based and fairly logical.
After a break we worked in a group to make a structure out of paper we could all stand under. We had lunch and then there were pre prepared presentations from all candidates and individual interviews.
The staff were fairly friendly, however a more holistic approach would have been better rather than telling people to leave after not scoring well in the tests which is quite intimidating.

Interview Question – The psychometric tests were unexpected.   View Answer

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Graduate Field Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got offered an assessment center a week after applying, was a full day in Aberdeen. right from the start was the toughest interview i've ever had! we waited in the canteen at the start of the day then were lead into a room and with no introductions or anything were told there's 3 different logic tests on the table, we have one hour and anyone who gets under 70% their day is over. so a pretty stressful start.
4 of the 12 failed the test and after that things were a bit more relaxed with a long talk about how the industry works and where Schlumberger fits into this. next we had to give a 5 minute presentation about ourselves which was all fairly straight forward. after lunch there was a group exercise where we had to build a structure for 3 people to fit under out of 25 sheets of paper and some selotape. my team built a Teepee which was the best one.
finally there was a practical test where we had to assemble a valve and the interview. the interview was very standard compitency questions however the women asking the questions seemed very disinterested and not impressed by my answers which knocked my confidence a bit and my interview only lasted 10 minutes compared to 30 for everyone else. i think this was because i was the last person and we had allready ran over time. i thought the day went terribly and wasnt expecting anything to come but 3 weeks later i got an offer!

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you've been shouted at or told off by a customer or coworker who wasnt happy with your work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Field Specialist Trainee
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Why didn't you do a masters degree?

Interview Question – Who could win in a fight Chuck Norris or Godzilla?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed Salary, no negotiation!

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details – Consisted of two tests, one of which was logic and the other was problem solving, weren't too hard to be honest.

Then had a presentation from them which seemed like they were trying to convince us not to work for them, saying we would have very little social life for first two years, might have to work in terrible conditions and its a 4/5 year course but would most likely take 6 apparently??

Then had a group task, had to construct a tower out of paper to hold a bottle of juice, good fun. Followed then by 5 minute presentation on ourselves we had prepared with questions, all questions on the presentation, nothing tricky what so ever, just be honest.

Finally had to construct a valve with a set time limit, which was tricky but I think everyone managed it.

Honestly wasn't the best interview, had several others, all of which seemed better planned prepared and actually made me want to work for their company.

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting CV online was invited for interview after 8 weeks. The interview was not so difficult. The questions asked are mostly on CV. To my fortune, there was any behaviour questions. After interview I was invited to assessment center.

Interview Question – The way to determine rock porosity.   Answer Question

Maintenance Technician Interview

Maintenance Technician
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5+ months - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – The interview process was poorly structured and the day was ended abruptly with very poor communication between recruiters and interviewees.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Student Intern- Health & Safety Chemicals Interview

Student Intern- Health & Safety Chemicals
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and uploaded my CV for the research part. About 4 months later I got an email asking whether I would want to be considered for this placement and accepted. Then I had a telephone interview with the HSE manager which was fine because I had prepared basic questions. Ones I got asked were: Tell me about yourself, Name an interesting fact about yourself, Any hobbies, Where you see yourself in five years time?, Leadership example, What do you know about Schlumberger?, Why do you want to work here?. Overall the phone interview was easy and after that I did not need another interview so received an acceptance email.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness? I always find this question hardest to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, had just over a week to sign the form and email it back

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details – Send applicaiton on-line. Received email a few weeks later inviting me to an assessment centre involving: exams, presentation, team exercise and individual interview.

Interview Question – Why does the oil industry need you?   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2012.

Interview Details – First had interview at university, after 3 days I was then asked to an assessment centre in Aberdeen from 9-5, where I had to take two tests, given a presentation on Schlumberger on what the job involved, give a personal presentation, take part in a group activity and finally a practical interview where you have to assemble a valve.

Interview Question – Why Schlumberger? What is involved in the position you have applied for?   Answer Question

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!