Schlumberger

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2013.

Interview Details – Straight forward, they want team players who ask questions so make sure you try to stand out as someone with interest in the company. Read about them, learn about them.

Interview Question – McGuyver something   Answer Question

Field Specialist Interview

Field Specialist
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty complex.
First got a phone interview. Made it to the next interview where they flew me out to Alberta. This was a 2 day process. First day my self and the 20 other candidates arrived at the hotel, participated in a 6 hour presentation/meet and greet/icebreakers/team building exercise. after that we were told to go to our room and fill out where we would like to apply to work and what specific section based on what jobs and locations were available.

The next day we woke up at 6 am for breakfast and then went on a tour of the artificial lift facility. After the tour we had out interviews and then we were sent home. We were told that we would hear in up to 2 weeks if we got the job or not. I was offered a position and accepted it. It seems like a tough lifestyle for the first couple years but they the future is yours. The other people I knew that applied for the job did not get hired. They are looking for people who are willing to learn, know how to work hard and have experience working in harsh environments. Also they are looking for team players. Starting offer is 50,000 plus 900 a month training bonus. that is all i know about money, so if anyone has any ideas on how much you make a year please inform me. I have heard guys in my field making around 90 000 their first year and another guy made 140 000 in his 2nd year while he is a supervisor.

Throughout the whole interview you are somewhat being sleep deprived…
plane flew out of home city @ 8 am.. so I was up at 4 on thursday..
Up till 12 or later thursday night ( my roommate was an idiot and doing his assignment that night, so he had the light on, tv on ect, made it hard to sleep)
Up the next morning at 6.. and the your interview is when you are tired..

Good luck!

Interview Question – Why is a manhole round
you have a 5 gallon bucket full of water and a 3 gallon bucket full of water, how do you measure out 4 gallons. You can empty and fill buckets as much as you would lie.
Marble question…
light switch question…
surgeon question…
These questions are asked to everyone… i think it is probably time that they change them up because I knew the answers of the questions before getting the question asked...
  View Answer

Nisku, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2011.

Interview Details – There are three stages of interview, a 20-30min interview on phone, a flew-in group interview at one of the facilities and an exit interview with additional questions.

Phone interview consist of typical questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years and some non-technical question for basic reasoning ability.

Group interview usually involve a hands on project (i.e building a tower with paper) and presentations. The interview is quite lengthy (5~6 hours) but majority of the time they are explaining the type of work you'll be doing.

Third interview is more concrete question asking your preference on segment, and working environment.

Interview Question – Nothing is particularly mind boggling, but the two recruiters were playing good/bad personalities during the second interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got emailed offer. As a desperate new graduate I do not have much room to negotiate.

Field Engineer Intern Interview

Field Engineer Intern
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my campus career center, ams was notified of an interview for the next week. Was asked to attend an information session that gave an overview of the company and was pretty interesting overall. The first interview was very casual and they seemed like they wanted to make sure that you are interested in working in tough conditions. I was not asked to a second interview but it sounds like its much more difficult.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, they wanted to hear about my experience working in teams.   Answer Question

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2012.

Interview Details – 1st Stage: Telephone interview. It was very casual for me, the interviewer asked about my hobbies and some of my past experience. I'd say it was very informal, as long as you sound confidence and your familiar with your resume's experience you're good.

2nd Stage: On-site Interview. 2 day interview, consist of self-introduction, group game, presentation regarding a specific Field Engineer discipline, tour in SLB's equipment plant and an interview. The whole 2 day process was a huge interview itself, so don't lose your cool just because you think you schooled any part of the process, stay cool the whole time. Be prepared about your presentation, it's a good chance to show your preparation. Ask questions during plant visits, show interests and your knowledge about their operation.

Interview Question – There was no difficult/unexpected question for me, but that was just my case. Again, be prepared for your presentation's topic, and show that your a team player during the group game, and don't be afraid to interact with SLB's people or other candidates during the tour since it shows you're good with people.   Answer Question

Geoscientist Interview

Geoscientist
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to Schlumberger throught their website and they recruited at my university. I was emailed about an interview before they arrived on campus. The interview was one on one and most of the questions were situation and behavioural based. How to deal with conflict in the workplace etc, how do you know you're done a good job, give examples of being in tough situations at work and how do you sort them out. There were also brain teaser type questions.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was given a picture with 3 light bulbs and told they were in a room and the three switches were in another room. You were only allowed to enter the room with the lights once and how would you know which switch corresponded to which light.   View Answer

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2007.

Interview Details – Applied in March of 07, didn't hear anything until October, and was given 1 business day notice of interview. A lot of situational questions, more just a conversation steered in the direction that the interviewer wanted to go. All interviewers are ex engineers, very helpful and knowledgeable. 4 days later I was flown across the country, meals out, see the actual operations at 3 field sites over 2 days, and a formal interview at the end of it. There was about 20 of us there.

One thing, is although they were very upfront about how much you would be working and that you would be spending tons of time away from home, is that they really pushed the work hard/play hard mantra, and 2 years later it really turns out to be only a work hard mantra. The benefits where given a rosy spin, and are a lot less common or frequent than I was led to believe.

Interview Question – Just situational questions, tell me about hobbies and activities which would be similar to this job, what do you do in your spare time, why do you want to be a field engineer, tell me what you expect from this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing, all standard offers regarding pay/benefits/location

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!