Schlumberger

Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Electronics Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The process was easy and streamline. It took place over a 3 day interview process in Tulsa, OK. The first day was a check in. The second day was introductions and an overview of the company followed by a team building exercise. The third day was the interview process.

no negotiation allowed.

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2014.

I applied thru a third party recruitment company. Had 2 phone interviews with them, 1st was telling me about the company and the 2nd was your basic interview with math and logic questions. Got invited to Tulsa, OK for the final interview. First day I had 2 hours to rest before the presentation started. Presentation was over the company and what it does. You have to introduce yourself to everybody first and tell them a little about you. After dinner they split us up into 3 groups and gave each group a stack of papers and we could only ask 1 question on what they wanted us to do with it. Eventually it was to build a paper tower and make it last the longest. The next day we woke up early and headed to the training facility in Kellyville. It was a great experience seeing the machines we talked about in person. After the tour we headed back to the hotel and we're assigned a 1:1 interview time. My interview was the first one so I could leave on time to catch my flight home. It seemed to me that. The interviewer already made up his mind on who he was hiring. He didnt ask much, mainly just clarified with me if I minded working in isolated places and working extreme hours. After the interview I boared my flight and went home. The interview was Monday and Tuesday and that Friday I received an email with the offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, everything ( salary, benefits, location, etc...) Was set from the beginning. You some what have a say in location but not really.

Electronics Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Complete Phone interview. Everything went well. Was scheduled for 2nd interview.

Flew to location, and stayed at a nice hotel about 10 min from the airport. Was given coupons for dinner and breakfast at the hotel which was pretty decent. The first day you arrive at the hotel is pretty much your time to check in and prepare yourself for the next day.

On the 2nd day you will meet in a conference room at the hotel. You have to give a brief introduction about yourself. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!! Do not stand up and brag about your self for 10 min. No one in the room cares if you created your own Tesla Coil in your barn and your generating 1.21 Jigawatts to open the space/time continuum.

Your interview is being conducted the entire time that you are at this event. So just be yourself!!!!

After everyone introduces themselves one of the staff will give you some information about a few of the services the company provides. Then you will head to training location for a tour of the training facility. It was pretty interesting. Ask questions while there. Also talk with the managers that are there. All of the ones that were at my event were pretty informative and straight forward.

Tip! When you are talking to the managers remember that there are 25 other people that would like to talk to them as well. Don't Hog their time!!! Got that WOLFPACK!!!!

After the tour you will go back to the conference room and complete the company presentation. The recruiting staff will let you know what positions they are trying to fill and the locations for each position. Around 6 or 7 they will have dinner which was also pretty decent.

Be sociable and have a good time. Don't get plastered at the event! Your interview is still going on. After dinner most of us headed to the pub at the hotel and have a few drinks and talked with some of the managers that were there.

On the 3rd day you will have an approximately 30min or so interview with a recruiter and manager. After the interview you will be told that you will hear something within the next 4 to 5 days.

I received my job offer the next evening. BE YOURSELF!!!! Don't try to B.S. the staff! And don't kiss their butt. These guys have to spend long hours in remote locations with you. They have to be convinced that you can handle the job environment and be part of their team

Was definitely the best interview I have ever been to. I had a great time, and met some great people.

Interview Questions
    On location. Salary was fixed, but not to bad for entry level position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2012.

I was first contacted by the Nicholas Charles recruiting office after I applied for an oilfield position dealing with electronics. Of course they were recruiting for Schlumberger. I talked with one of their recruiter for about 20 minutes and then had another interview that lasted for about 45 minutes that was more difficult. I was never really asked any tech related questions though. I got asked three weird riddle type questions that seemingly determined my fate. I missed the first two and answered the third right. After that I was sent a lot of Schlumberger paperwork to fill out and send back. Then I was contacted by Schlumberger and invited to interview in Tulsa, OK. They put me up in a ok hotel room with a roomate. The interview consisted of about 30 candidates and 10 other hiring managers along with some recruiters. The first night consisted of going through a going around the room introducing ourselves, the head recruiter explaining the company's worst aspects, a game where the candidates are broken up into 4 groups while answering questions about a few of the operations they carry out(careful though; we had a Schlumberger spy posing as a candidate in our group) and a fairly nice catered dinner. They had an open tab at the bar for the candidates and encouraged everyone to show up and talk with the hiring managers. Mine was not down there. I drank a few on Schlumberger though. The 2nd day was an 8:15am departure for the training facility in Kellyville, OK. You get a pretty good tour of the place where you will be attending training although it was ungodly hot out there in those coveralls. After that it is a ride back to the hotel(no shower, just change clothes and get your stuff and meet downstairs.) We were then given an interview time and told that they basically know who is gonna get hired already, but in all honesty, the interview is your last chance to impress. My interview was not really an interview, but more questions about my current position. After that I reported back downstairs, checked out with the recruiter, gave him my top three places I'd like to work, and checked out of my hotel room and that was that.
    I guess I was one of the ones they already knew they weren't going to hire based on my lack of experience with anything mechanical because I received an email the very next day telling me that they had nothing available that matched my qualifications. This whole process felt like a waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Why is a manhole cover round?   View Answer
    • What three things would you need to know to find out how many white dashes on the road between San Diego and Los Angeles?   View Answer
    • You have five balls of equal size, a two sided balance scale, and one of the balls is heavier than the other. Using only two moves determine which is the heaviest.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williston, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williston, ND

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2011.

Cattle call interview, then a 1:1 when they whittle you down to what you're good at.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. They start everyone in the field at entry level regardless of experience. The money makes it where you don't care.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2011.

They flew me to Tulsa, OK were I experienced a two day interview. They give you an overview of the company, feed you really good food and give you free beer. There was multiple group task challenges set up. They chose the groups. You get a tour of thier intial training facility that everyone has to attend for two weeks. The actual interview quesitons were surprising. You were sat down at a round table of about 6-8 people for dinner and just askied casual questions. It was not a typical interview session by any means. Then the recruiters asking the questions would move to another table after roughly 30 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2008.

My first interaction with SLB was through a Career fair done by ITT Tech. Enough of us convinced the presenter to come by our campus and give us an intitial interview. This lead to a phone interview by another recruiter, and then an all day interview with several managers.

Interview Questions
    I was offered $13 an hour and had to move to Louisiana. I asked if they could go to $14 and they accepted. Please note this was in 2005 not 2008, and the amount has gone up considerably since then.

Electronics Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger in September 2011.

They opened the hiring conference with an "ice breaker" set of questions. You told who you were, where you hoped to end up if hired, and what was you favorite color out the the four they offered. The color was associated with a task which you had to preform for the group (act out your favorite cartoon character, sing your favorite song, and stuff like that). Then you sit through a couple hours of of presentation about the company. After the presentation they break the group up into teams and have a Jeopardy style game to see how much you have picked up about the company and how you work together in a team. They then treat everyone to a buffet style dinner where they try to make things more personal with the interactions between the candidates and the recruiters/managers. After dinner they have more team building tasks where they want you to build something. Along the way they make additions or changes to what they want built. After the team building exercise they get you the coveralls for the trip to the training facility just south of Tulsa.

The recruiter that set up my trip to the conference highly encourage going to the bar before going to bed, so to prove I could be one of the guys with a drink or two.

The next morning everyone got on the bus and rode over to the training facility, spent 4 or 5 hours walking arould as a group. We got a chance to talk to techs who were recently hired.

After returning to the conference center they gave us a chance change for one on one interviews. The questions for the one on one where pretty general.

The whole ordeal is meant to be a way to root out people who do not want to or can not deal with high stress and high school like atitudes.

Interview Questions
    • Given 8 blocks that look like they are the same size but one is heavier. Find the one that is heavier by using a balance scale no more than twice.   View Answer
    • Why are man hole cover round?   View Answer

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stonehouse, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stonehouse, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in June 2011.

Very friendly atmosphere, got to learn a lot about the oil & gas industry and Schlumberger's activities in the sector.

Did 2 basic electrical/electronics tests, calculating currents and voltage drops in resistor/capacitor circuits. There were also sections on high and low pass filters, op amps and general electrical/electronic knowledge. Pretty straight forward for an ONC/HNC graduate.

The interview process was quite laid back, but it is important to remain professional. I was asked about my salary expectations but I was not really prepared for this question; I informed them of my current salary and said I was sure we could come to an agreement.

The job itself appeared to be quite repetitive, but there is scope to progress in the company if ability is demonstrated.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were involved in a conflict at work. What did you do to try and rectify the situation?   View Answer