Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
399 interviews

399 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Field Engineer Interview

The interview was a weekend long process. A group of about 20 interviewees were flown out for the weekend. We were split up into five groups ahead of time and told to create a presentation based on the topic they assigned us. When we first arrived we spent the entire afternoon and evening giving presentations, being asked questions, and then being given the same presentation from the Schlumberger perspective. We were kept up until about 2:30 am and then we were told we needed to be ready to catch the bus to visit a job site at 7:30 am. After the job site tour we were given a presentation on the job benefits package and then we all had individual exit interviews. The entire weekend was extremely informative.

Interview Questions
  • We were split up and asked to assemble a catapult from pencils, rubberbands, and a plastic spoon.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I interviewed online - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2014.

The whole interview was over the course of 2 days. I arrived at 5pm and we started out be giving introductions. Then we went right into teams giving their presentations on their assigned segment. This went on until about 2am on the first night. Next day we woke up at 7am and went to a well site and to a facility. After that, we had exit interviews, then went out for dinner.

Field Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2010.

Everything is a test, be ready to stay awake for 24 out of 30 hours. take naps when you can, but never around the interviewers or anyone who currently works for them, be very interested and involved otherwise they don't see you as a good "fit"

on the same note, if it does not seem like a good fit - DON'T TAKE THE JOB, there are many other jobs with more forgiving hours and better work/life balances

Field Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

Had an initial interview on campus. The interview was about twenty minutes long. The second interview was in Oklahoma City. It consisted of making a pre-prepared presentation with a group of students, as well as group exercises. Also, there were two field visits that consisted of speaking with current employees of the company.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some fairly technical questions about the topic that your presentation was about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2014.

I learned about Schlumberger at my campus career fair. Their recruiters were very laid back and approachable. A seminar like meeting was set up with all accepted interviewers where they gave an overview of the company and employment process On campus interviews were short, if accepted you were sent to a 3 day intense interview process a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe a time I didn't agree with the majority of a group and how I handled the situation. It caught me off guard during the interview, but I liked that they didn't stick to the generic interview process.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

You must emphasize your willingness to sacrifice personal life. They recruit large numbers of new graduates because they are very aware that their retention rate is extremely low.

Interview Questions
    • Company tries to trick you into admitting you are not as flexible and self-sacrificing as you appear to be.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2014.

Pretty easy standard interview questions on campus. Definitely get an on-campus interview if you want to proceed. Talk about your resume, be interested, etc. Flew out to OKC for the onsite interview. Keep you up really late for the weekend interview. Wake up really early. Make presentations in teams about drilling. Be a team player, that's what they like to see. Go to site and ask questions. Be engaged. If you are in good standing, and do all of that, they will pick you. Try to apply to positions that actually interest you. Easier to talk about.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions really. Most unexpected: If you could be any TV character, who would you be and why?   Answer Question

Not the lifestyle for me after seeing the site.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Breeze! Applied through campus recruitment. This is the best and easiest route. Initial interview on campus and about 3 weeks later, I was invited to Bakersfield, Ca. I would advise to be yourself but not annoying. Pay attention, seem knowledgeable but be a sponge.

Anonymous Employee  in  Midland, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2014.

1:1 Interview at University during Career Fair Week. Found out within 2 weeks for 2nd round interview. Schlumberger flew candidates out. First day was presentation and company information, second day were site visits and an exit interview, and the third day was used to travel home. Turnaround is fantastically fast. Very well planned process and recruiters were great and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Ask questions throughout the entire time you are there. You are there to learn!   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger.

I had a first interview on campus during which I was asked typical behavioral interview questions like dealing with difficult co-workers and why I wanted to work for Schlumberger.

The next day I was informed that I had passed the first interview and that I would be invited to a second interview in Texas about a month later. About a week before the second interview, I received further information about the interview, including being assigned a topic and a team with whom I would prepare a 5-6 minute presentation on the specified topic. The interview would be a group interview with a little over twenty candidates.

The second interview started with an early flight to Texas, getting into a hotel in the early afternoon. The group interview started at 5pm. It started with everyone introducing themselves, and then the recruiters provided some general information about the company. After dinner, we started to go over the different segments of Schlumberger and the different job opportunities. Each team would give a presentation about the segment they were assigned to research, after which they were asked more detailed questions by the recruiters. The group interview was over at 2:30am.

At 7:00 am, we had breakfast in the hotel and went on a field visit to several Schlumberger field operations. His was very informative and interesting, but it was certainly a test of endurance to stay alert and engaged for the whole day.

During both the first and second days, the recruiters were taking notes on everything.

At 4:30 pm we arrived back at the hotel, and were given a time slot between 6pm and 8:30 pm during which we would have a one-on-one exit interview. During this interview with a recruiter I indicated my preferred segments and locations, and had the opportunity to ask any questions I had for the recruiter.

At 9 pm we went to dinner as a group with the recruiters and several Schlumberger engineers we had met during the day in the field. Upon return to the hotel around midnight we were released. My flight home left the next morning.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were technical questions about the assigned topic after the presentation. I spent many hours researching my topic and was able to answer the questions satisfactorily, but there were other groups that struggled with some of the questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!