Schlumberger

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.9

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview consisted of two components: Behavioral interview and presentation/technical interview. I received the first interview by my school's career fair and center. The Behavioral portion was pretty standard. The interview consisted of 7 questions and a simple technical question. After three weeks, the recruiter contacted me by inviting me to the second round. The second round was more technical over the presentation topic which you selected prior to arriving. There were early mornings and late night sessions. I believe this was the test to see if the candidates could deal with the demanding hours of a field engineer. For the last day, we saw the field and talked to recruiters about working locations. About a month later, I received and offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Field Engineer Interview

The process seems to be pretty well documented on here. I got the first round interview through a school career fair, which was a pretty generic 30 min interview. After two weeks, the recruiter emailed me with an offer to the second round. Second round started off with technical presentations that ran late into the night. Early next morning we went into the field and saw a couple different segments. When we got back to the hotel, I talked with the recruiter about my work preferences. A month later I got an offer.

Communication throughout the process was terrible.... There seems to be high turnover in HR since I've talked to three different recruiters in three different semesters. It was tough to get responses from the recruiters. Even after I got an offer, my emails got ignored. It was easiest to call the recruiters, but they don't give out their numbers. I only got it after I got called.

Furthermore the process of selecting a segment was very shady and seemed to be full of lies. My first choice was "closed" according to the recruiter, but somehow, my friend got in. Similarly, another person was told that the segment I was placed in was "unavailable currently". Additionally, this was only told over the phone, not email (no paper trail). Why lie to us? I was excited about working for SLB, but the hiring process has been very unprofessional, extreme, and has turned off.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Schlumberger.

The second interview is a group, onsite interview. Be prepared by researching Schlumberger, their services, and current developements in technology. We all presented in groups on different service segments. The recruiters also presented information on the different segments. There were team building excercises as well.

Interview Questions
    • You wil most likely be asked about your motiviation to be a field engineer. Be sure you know what it's all about. Demonstrating that you fit the field engineer lifestyle is key.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

I got selected for an on campus interview through career services. The initial interview included describing my accomplishments which was pretty much 'walking through' my resume. I thought he was a good interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to go out of your way to accomplish an objective. Follow up question was relate that to this position your applying for.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger.

After the normal 1st interview, which was on campus, I was selected to interview a 2nd time. This process meant you had to fly out to a location and go through a 2 day interview process.

The interview included:

As part of the interview process we would like you to prepare a short presentation (5-6 slides and about 5-6 minutes per each team) on the segment that you have been assigned (segment assignment is for presentation purposes only and will not affect potential employment assignment). You are welcome to use any resource of your choice (websites, books, etc). The Spreadsheet attached has your assigned segment and your group member contact information. If you have difficulty contacting any of your group members, let me know in advance!

Segment Groups:
    1. D&M (Drilling & Measurements) and Pathfinder
    2. Wireline Open Hole Logging
    3. Well Cementing Services
    4. Wireline Cased Hole Services
    5. Hydraulic Fracturing Services
    6. Artificial Lift
    7. MI-SWACO

Feel free to us the Schlumberger website, but please to use other resources as well. Your audience should be geared towards those who do not know anything about our business. An example of what to include in your presentation is:
    - What is the purpose of that segment?
    - How does it fit into the life cycle of a well?
    - What are the different services this segment provides?
    - What are different ways/techniques to perform these operations?
    - What is a typical equipment layout during a job in that segment?

You will present on the evening of Day One. (We will meet at 6:00 p.m. in the conference room of the hotel). Recruiters and managers from different product lines will ask questions related to your presentation.

As part of the interview we are planning to visit one of our bases and a well site. To do this, we will all have to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). I recommend you to bring a comfortable set of clothes (comfortable pants/shorts and a t-shirt) to wear underneath the coveralls. If you own a pair of steel toe shoes/boots you can bring those.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview was long and exhausting. But, it was very informative and the whole event felt very personal. I enjoyed the process. The presentations also helped me decide which part of company I feel as though I would have been a good fit for.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't necessarily ask how I would act, they saw through team building activities.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Met at Career Fair on campus and interviewed on campus within a few days. On-campus interview was standard behavioral questions. A few weeks later they flew me out to Midland, TX for an on site interview with about 20 other candidates. There's a long day of powerpoint presentations and some group problem solving exercises they have you go through. Then they take you out to an active site and give you a tour. Interesting and fun experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you ran into a problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

I applied through my university. The process took a total of 3 months.
    I went to the info session at my university in early September and gave the recruiter my resume, although I was informed all interview spots were filled. Late that night, I received a call from the recruiter saying a spot had opened up for an interview, and it was mine if I wanted it. Naturally, I accepted.
    The first interview was wonderful. I had had the worst interview of my life two days prior with halliburton. I'm a female petroleum engineer and halliburton interviewed me with a male electrical engineer. The difference in Schlumberger was incredible. I was interviewed by a female petroleum engineer, and I honestly felt like I was sitting down for coffee with a friend. We laughed, we told stories--standard interview questions were asked, but it barely felt like an interview.
    About three weeks later, I received an invitation for a second interview in Midland, TX, which I scheduled to take place at the end of November. Less than a week before the interview, I received an email with a petroleum topic and a list of my group members and their contact information for a presentation on that topic. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel room (unfortunately, I had a roommate, but some people didn't). There were about 20 of us there, and the first night was a little rough.
    We began with introductions, ice breakers, and so on, before finally breaking for dinner at 8 PM (I had only eaten a small bag of airline pretzels, and all the restaurants in Texas are closed on Sunday). After dinner, we continued presentations until 10, when we were about halfway through, and broke again for a team building exercise. We were asked to build a device using pencils, plastic cutlery, duct tape, and rubber bands that would get a ping pong ball in a plastic cup 5 feet above the ground.
    After the group building excercise, we finished presentations a little after midnight (there was coffee in the room, so be sure you drink a lot if you're not a night owl).
    The next morning was early; we were expected to be on the bus in full PPE by 8 AM. The site we were visiting was only a half hour from the hotel, but we got turned around several times, so it took 2 hours to get there. If you get car sick easily, bring some dramamine. I don't ever get car sick, but these were dirt roads with huge ruts that made the bus vibrate and shake non stop until I was sick.
    After visiting this site, we got lunch at a little chinese buffet and then headed over to a wireline facility in town to tour. At about 3, we headed back to the hotel and went straight back to the conference room where they asked us to reintroduce ourselves, say if we still wanted to work for Schlumberger, and if so, which area of Schlumberger.
    This part was tricky. The recruiters asked technical questions about the sections each person chose, and many people had trouble answering them. Be sure you actually know what's involved in the section you're choosing, because the recruiters are going to ask some tough questions.
    At about 5, we broke for individual interviews, ranging from 5:30 -7:30. Mine just consisted of the recruiter asking what I wanted to do and where and why. It was only a quick 10 minute interview.
    At 8, we left for dinner and ate at a nice steakhouse. Schlumberger invited people we'd met at the sites that day and we all ate and drank and got to ask the other employees questions. It was wonderful. We stayed at the restaurant until about 11, and when we returned to the hotel, the recruiters told us that they looked forward to seeing some of us in the company, but that not all of us would be hired. My flight back home the next morning was at 5:30 and my shuttle left at 4:30, so I got about an hour of sleep that night.
    8 days after I left Texas, I received a job offer in my first choice of area and location.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard behavioral questions in the first interview.
      The 2nd interview had technical questions on the area you decide you want to work in, so study up and know as much as you can about the topic you're given to present on (which you will also be asked technical questions on) and the area in which you're choosing to work.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They give an offer, and you accept or you don't.

Field Engineer Interview

First interview was on campus. Second interview they flew me out to Bakersfield CA where we did group activities and presentations until about 3am. Then we woke up and had a field trip as well as exit interviews one on one. I am currently awaiting an offer, and its been 1 1/2 weeks.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Brought a group of us to a district office and proceeded to keep us awake all night to see if we could handle long hours. Personality tests, team building etc.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you can stay awake for long periods of time and remain standing for that time.   Answer Question