Schlumberger

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
389 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Macaé (Brazil)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2009.

Interview Details – I solidified an on-campus interview at my college's Career Fair. Just went up to the booth, started talking and asked how I get an interview. That interview went well, I knew plenty about the company ahead of time (online reasearch). Then, I got flown out to Texas for 2 days for the interview process. It was grueling, presentations until 2am and bus from the Hotel at 7am, then back for interviews until 2am again. It was tough, but obviously weeds people out, as half of the people in my group realized they couldn't do it. I loved it and accepted the job later when it was offered.

Interview Question – What are you most proud about yourself for?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I asked around and heard that it wasn't worth the trouble, not to mention it was by far the highest offer I received, so how do I negotiate with that?

Field Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2009.

Interview Details – It's the group dynamics interview so much pressure.

Reason for Declining – I don't know but I think being too leader is not quit good.

Field Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was a two days process. They invited you for a dinner the first night and did 9 hours of group activities and presentations until 4 am in the morning and expected you to go to site visit at 7am again. The interview process was long and super tiring. Candidates also had to share hotel rooms.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? What set you apart from the other candidates?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2011.

Interview Details – The first thing I did was a maths/pkysics test in 45 minutes and 20 questions some easy, some hard. The next step was a 1:1 Iinterview with the recruiter and the last step were a 2day procees with visits to the base and group activities and tests. 3 days later I was called to an extra interview and then was accepeted as an IOM in India.

Interview Question – What dou you hace to offer to Schlumberge?   Answer Question

Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2012.

Interview Details – Basicly the interviewer ask about family background and stuff. After that, your achievement at campus life. Why do you want to work at SLB? and what do you wanna be in the next 5 years

Interview Question – why you grades is so low?   View Answer

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus first, selected for second interview in San Antonio. They gave us a schedule about a week beforehand, unlike Halliburton and Baker Hughes who keep you in the dark. We were assigned group presentations about a specific PSL (wireline, coiled tubing, etc.), and presented the first night. The first night was basically an overview of the company, along with a team building activity, and the previously mentioned presentations. We started at 6pm, and didnt end until 345 in the morning. We had to be dressed and ready by 630 to visit one of their field locations the next day. This field visit was very cool and getting to see an actual rig site is helpful. The day ended with a 15 minute exit interview and dinner. The exit interview is the last opportunity for you to make an impression and preference your location and product service line. I was offered a position at this stage, but that is not necessarily a common occurrence (I had several pending offers), and it can take a while for them to get back with you.

Interview Question – How would you distinguish two different cups of water if you had to pour both of them into a large bowl   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had better offers, not willing to commit to the required lifestyle, did not receive my location preference

Milan (Italy)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2014.

I attend a group 2 days assessment. The first day was for company presentation, 3 aptitude test (logical,mathematics and mechanical tests). The second day started with personal presentation of each candidate ( weakness are really important, be carefull), then two group exercises and face to face interview. During the interview, you have to assembly a valve in 5 minutes watching the technical draw.

Interview Question – The most difficult situation in your life.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in September 2013.

Interview Details – Apply at career fair
- Tell them you are interested in working as a field engineer
- They ask are you eligible to work in xx country
- Your availability
- Your GPA
- Tell them something about enjoying working outdoors/long hours/all nighters/ etc...

Phone call for interview
- Asked to attend info session prior to interview

Interview
- Asked what you know about the company
- Why you want to work as a field engineer and why Schlumberger
- Are you willing to relocate
- Your 5 year career path
- How you handle stress
- Mechanical problem
- The interviewer had no ability to show emotion or empathy, very unfriendly. (must be frustrating picking from overqualified candidates for a long hours, back breaking high paying job)
- Asked about type of drivers license and driving experience.
- Asked about ability to work in the USA

- They want to make sure they are not wasting time spending 3 months training someone who will not stay with the company for 2-5 years.
- Current opportunities are in Alberta only (Canada, 2013-2014) , no international opportunities.
- The head HR person was herself a field engineer, she lasted 1 year. the avg is 15-16 months.. as seen from other reviews. The other interviewer was a design engineer and had no experience as a field engineer... They interviewers did not seem happy with their job.
- Job seems very hands on and laborious and monotonous. Work here for $ and new grad experience.
- Tell them you enjoy being in the middle of nowhere, camping etc..
- Show passion and love for everything related to OIL and OIL servicing.

Brain teaser:
- How many degrees between the hour hand and the minute hand at 3:15. 7.5 degrees.

Field Engineering is not for everyone !
Do your research, attend the info session. Kindly decline the interview if you do no think it is the job for you, do not waste your time and their time with an interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here, do you really want to work in a in the middle of nowhere in Alberta in below freezing weather... -_-"   Answer Question

Field Engineer
Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2009.

Interview Details – The process was long; first I had an interview with a manager and afterwards I was invited to a 3-day interview, which consisted in several tests, team work and interviews.

Interview Question – Not really, it was more about endurance and working under stress than asking technical questions   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Talked to them at career fair, then got a first round interview on campus with behavior questions, then second round interview in Oklahoma City. Second round interview was very long and involved a lot of information about the company, tour of facilities, etc. Treated very well throughout the few days that I was there.

Interview Question – Are you capable of working on less than 5 hours of sleep?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger Field Engineer interview questions and advice. All 389 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees and interview candidates.