Schlumberger

Getting the Interview

380 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2014.

Interview Details – They are looking for individuals who handle situations with people well, i.e. if they aren't performing how should you deal with them. As well as how you react in stressful situations, when you are running low on sleep. They are salary based and run you to the ground in the first 2-3 years and then they place you into a normal office. But during the first years expect to work 24 hour shifts and up to 100 hours per week.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had someone in a group that was not performing up to task, how did you handle the situation to resolve it?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got an interview with Schlumberger in October through my college jobnfair. The recruiter asked some basic questions about me, my resume, some behavior questions. I heard I would fly to Oklahoma city, OK to get the 2rd round. I did not attend.

Interview Question – No technical questions, just about you and your experience.   Answer Question

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2014.

Interview Details – First Interview: Was basic, they asked a whole bunch of behavioral questions. They also asked a trick solving question about a pulley system and how you can find out which of the four block is the lightest by only using the pulley twice. They give you a few minutes to think it through, I wasn't able to answer the question completely but I still got a second interview. So I wouldn't stress over it. Second interview: They fly you out and the day you arrive you have to present and listen to other sectors of their business. You stay up really late so be prepared. The presentation was short and simple. You are placed in a group before you arrive and you have to present about a topic. I would study up on all of the topics since you are going to have to choose a sector towards the end to work for. The next day you wake up early to view the different sites they have nearby. Then, you have a short 15 min one-on-one session. They didn't ask me anything big other than why you choose the sector you want to apply for. After that you go out and eat as a group. The next morning you are flying out. Overall, I would say be yourself and ask as many questions as possible.

Interview Question – Getting use to the cold weather early in the morning.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to the main recruiter at a university job fair, attended their info session, and participated in an individual interview with one of their recruiters. Interview was entirely behavioral.

Received an e-mail in about three weeks, saying they were interested in flying me out to OKC for an on-site interview. I was partnered with four other prospects to do a 5-minute presentation on Fracking/Stimulation. Flew in early on a Sunday and they went through an extremely in-depth presentation, along with our presentations and a team-building exercise for about 9 hours until 4am. Next day was a trip to three different facilities (frac facility, cement lab, and frac site). Then we had a brief interview with the main recruiter to just discuss preferences, etc. Flew out early the next morning.

Interview Question – The second round spiel is pretty tiring, but they do it to give you an idea of the hours associated with working as an FE. The first interview was pretty normal behavioral stuff. Toughest/most random question was "what was your MacGyver moment?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details – The interviewer was very nice, however it was a bit hard to understand her at times as she was also very foreign. Both of the interviewers were female, and I've heard that they hire many female employees.

Interview Question – In the interview, I was asked many physics questions which surprised me. They were fairly simple and if you're not an idiot you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Conway, AR

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2010.

Interview Details – 1st round screening at university, involved basic interview questions that any decent engineer should prepare for beforehand. 2nd round interview at district location, ask as many questions and act interested in the job, 2nd round interview is more about fit for the job, culture, and ability to handle the workload.

Interview Question – Why are man holes round?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – fixed step, all incoming engineers within home country status start at the same salary

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2010.

Interview Details – Several steps

Interview Question – If you were a kitchen utensil which one would you be   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation......Fixed starting point for this position

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through my university website. A few days later I was selected for an interview at my career center. This 1 on 1 interview wasn't too bad. Just have good answers that are always based on your experiences. Be prepared for the normal stuff (Why we should hire you? What is your weakness? How do you know you want to be a Field Engineer?, Are you more of a follower or a leader?, etc). Overall, if you know how to interview, it's a cakewalk. Also make sure you also apply for the company on their website.

I was invited for a 2nd round interview in Midland, TX. In an accompanying email, I was assigned 2 other people from other universities, through which I was going to do a presentation. They give you an overall topic relating to oil drilling process. Before you even look up your topic, go do some research on how oil drilling works. There's a step-by-step process and you can find video tutorials online. Understanding the steps and the concepts, THEN start research your topic (I didn't do this and it made me look unprepared in my presentation). Your should relate your topic to one of the steps. Split the topic up 3 ways, giving each member a chance to present and shine.

For the interview, I given flight to leave on a Sunday morning and get back on Tuesday afternoon. When you get to the hotel on Tuesday around 2, be ready for a long, informative session (dinner included). You will start with some introductions, ice breakers, and Schlumberger history and information. After a dinner break, you will do your presentations. If you mess up, be chill and laugh it off, no one will be perfect. The recruiters will help you along if you get stuck and after each presentation they'll do a short teaching lecture. Take good notes! It will come up in your exit interview. The presentations are to teach you the basics of oil drilling, and unless you're a petroleum engineer, they don't expect you to know everything. That being said, ask good questions and don't be afraid to answer incorrectly.

The last couple hours are devoted to team building exercises and job information. For us, each team was given ~20-30 pencils, rubber bands, and a couple pieces of tape. 1 team builds a catapult, and the other builds a target that must be 3 ft high that can't topple over. In the middle they'll switch a member of each team. Just be a good team player, suggesting things but NOT demanding things. They are in the corner of the room watching you while pretending to not watch you. After this, they give you a description of each possible job you can apply for. There are a lot. Take notes and start formulating your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices.

After 5 hours of sleep (to prepare you for a field engineer life), we did a tour of several facilities. These are just ways for you to meet other field engineers. Ask questions! but don't look like you're trying too hard. The recruiters are just a part of the tour group like you. But be yourself. If you suck-up, they'll notice, however, do not just disappear. Ask the recruiter questions during the tour and just make some comments here and there to show your enthusiasm. It's ok to show some concern for field engineer work, that's normal. Near the end of the last tour, try to get your recruiter alone near the back. That's what I did, and I just asked some questions about a couple of the positions, and asked her about her recruiting process. The more your recruiter interacts with you, the more they'll remember you.

At the end of the day you'll be given a sheet to fill out your preferences and have an exit interview. Don't worry you'll get time to shower. The exit interview is about asking why you made your choices. Personally, I made my 1st choice to be a Design engineer with Smith drill bits. I was honest about my hesitancy to go into field engineer work (though not too honest). Lastly, you go out to dinner with all the employees you met throughout the day. It's fun for everyone. However, if you select the design engineer position, they want you to meet some new employees from Smith Bits. So I had an informal hang out session during dinner while I sat around 4 employees. I still drank at dinner (which may have helped). I asked questions but had fun and so did they.

After dinner, all the interviewees drank beers in a hotel room... best end ever.

My advice: it's great if you're a decent engineering student (i.e. passed your classes). That's easy to show. Show that underlying, real person enthusiasm (opposed to suck-up), that'll get you the offer. (For reference, I had a 2.5 Mechanical Engineer GPA )

Interview Question – On Campus Interview - What is your single proudest achievement in the projects you've worked on?
Exit Interview - Describe the types of stresses you'll see in a drill bit?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got an offer as a Reliability Engineer with Smith Bits in Houston, TX. At first I accepted because I didn't get into the M.Eng program at my current university. However, with a 6 month wait in between, I applied to other school and got into a MS program near my home. I subsequently rescinded my acceptance.
For reference, my offer was for $62,500 (comparable to $95,000 in Los Angeles)

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

Interview Details – First Round: 30 min. Phone interview. Some of the questions asked: Why Schlumberger? Why Field Engineering? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about yourself. Tell me about *insert something from your resume*. Describe a situation where you had to adapt to a sudden change.

Second Round: 2 day interview at Midland.
First Day - Presentations by recruiters and mixed group of full-time/intern candidates. Presentation topics were given a few days before the scheduled interview dates. Presentations went on till 2-3 am. Dinner and a team-building exercise were also a part of the first day.
Second Day - Site tour. Work sites were visited and employees talked about the work they did. Bus left at 8 am. Arrived back at the hotel at around 3-4 ish. 1 hr break was given. Short 10-15 min. exit interviews with each candidate. Questions comprised of "Which segment do you want to work in?" (make sure to take notes during the presentations on the first day) "Why do you want to work in that segment?", "How did you hear of SLB?", "What do you think of field engineering now?" Then, dinner was had. End of 2nd round interviews. Third day was just going back home.

Interview Question – Intentionally difficult or unexpected questions will be asked after your presentation on your given segment.   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – The second interview was structured like a typical work day would be. Be expected to get little sleep and perform tasks which you might seem a bit odd. If invited to a second interview you are about 80% on your way to getting hired. The second interview is more for you to see if you would fit in with their lifestyle. As long as you remain active and enthused in being there, you are more likely than not going to get an offer.

Interview Question – They asked you to get up and sing a song or perform a dance in front of everyone   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't enjoy the hours or lifestyle