Schlumberger

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a consulting agency that basically prescreens for Schlumberger. I had two phone interviews with them and then got an invitation to what Schlumberger calls "the 2nd Interview". Once you get an invitation they will give you all of the details like flight itinerary and information about the dress code and things of that nature. The first day is just a travel day but you will meet a lot of the other candidates this day. There was about 25 people interviewing when I went. Do not be alarmed by the amount of people going for the same job because there are a lot of job openings. I am not sure how accurate this is but it seemed to me like if you made it to this interview you have a really good chance of getting the job. The first day you fly in and the hotel shuttle will pick you up from the airport. You will quickly find out who is there for Schlumberger because they are standing around waiting as well. you will check in at the hotel and then have the rest of the night to eat dinner and prepare for the following day. The 2nd day is very long so get plenty of rest. You start the day by meeting in a conference room. Every person in the room will have to get up and give an introduction about themselves. Normal stuff like what are your hobbies, whats is your educational or military background, and the last but most important is what is your best Macgyver moment. They seem to be looking for creative answers. My advice is if you cant think of anything make something up. They want to hear that you are creative not prove you wrong. One guy at our interview didn't answer the question and it seemed to bother the recruiters and managers. After the introductions you will then sit through a lot of PowerPoint presentations about the company and learn about the different segments. Then you will take a break by getting fitted for coveralls and steel toes and you will be bused over to the Schlumberger training facility. I think the most important part about this is to take an active interest in it by asking questions and talking to the managers. The managers have been exactly where you are so its pretty much free game to ask what ever you want. The managers were pretty laid back and know what your going through so talking to them really is not difficult. After you tour the facility you will go back for more powerpoint presentations. Before dinner you will do a team building exercise. The most important part about the team exercise is to be engaged with your team. The managers are looking for team players and leaders. After that you will have dinner with the managers and recruiters and then get instructions about the next day. They will serve alcohol at dinner. My advice is that if you do drink dont get drunk. You want to be responsible. The next day you will meet up get your interview time and wait until your interview. I did not find the interview very difficult. Normal interview questions. I found that the intial phone interviews are a lot harder than the final interview. The final interview I felt was there to find out exactly what you want to do and where you want to work and whether you think you can handle the lifestyle. They are very honest about the different type of lifestyle it is. We had people drop out and not even do the final interview because they did not feel it was what they were looking for. The whole process I felt was there to make you feel more comfortable and relax about the interview. It was a good experience. After your final interview you will go back to the airport and back home. I think staying engaged and asking questions and talking with the managers will give you a good shot at getting the job. The company seems to want to put you where you want to go so dont put any locations down you dont want because there is a good chance you might get it. My last bit of advice is to be honest with yourself and be honest with them about what you want. The job is not easy but the company will work with you and thats a good feeling.

Interview Question – How many tennis balls can you fit in the back of your truck and how did you come to that answer?   Answer Question

Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2012.

Interview Details – Multi round interview process that started with a phone interview, from there it went to a round table interview with 3 managers.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions...   Answer Question

Tulsa, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2014.

Interview Details – After being contacted with a phone interview, I was offered a 2nd interview in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I appeared at the 2nd interview, and the first day was the basic travel day. The second day was packed full of information. We started off by going around the room and introducing ourselves, some experiences, other details, and our greatest "McGuyvier" moment. We then watched our recruiters discuss various positions they were hiring for via powerpoint until lunch.

Immediately following a boxed lunch (catered by the hotel) we went on a plant tour of the Tulsa training facility. On the bus ride, we asked how many people they interviewed to get the 30 of us that were at the 2nd interview there. They said for each person that they had invited to the 2nd interview, they had interviewed approximately 20 people. So, feel honored that you are there, and realize that you are halfway home. See that this interview is more of chance for you to learn, and be sure to NOT SCREW IT UP! Afterwards, we came back and did some more powerpoints, followed by a group exercise where we were split into groups and had to construct a platform that would support a cup of water as it floated in a tub of water. We were allowed to ask only one question per group, and they can answer it however they wanted. Basically this whole thing is to see who shines as leaders/followers and who can work well in a group of people. Be creative, have fun, and think outside the box.

Following that, we had dinner where we could relax and openly talk with the recruiters about whatever we wanted. This is was a great time to get some face time with the recruiters. I also felt like by this point they knew who they wanted and who they didn't want. I felt like it was rather clear who would get job offers and who wouldn't, but I may have been over analyzing things.

The next morning, we were all assigned interview times based on what time our flights were scheduled to leave from Tulsa International Airport. The interview was fairly simple, with some math/technical based questions thrown in at the end. It was about 30 minutes long. Then we were free to go after the interview. I was offered a job about 2 weeks after the interview.

Interview Question – On a clock, what is the difference in the angle of the minute hand and the hour hand when the clock shows 3:15.   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – It was really cut and dry. I had about 9 days to accept or decline the job. It is a really open and shut offer. You get your base salary, and then a rig bonus for each day you are on the rig.

If you don't accept the job, someone else will. So, think it over carefully.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tulsa, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2013.

Interview Details – 2nd Interview in Tulsa Oklahoma. Pretty neat experience that taught me a lot about the company. First day was just a travel day. Second day program started at 7 am and we had breakfast and then did introductions for everyone that was there. This was followed by PowerPoint presentation about the company. Then bused out to training center for a tour of each segment. Arrived back at hotel and then sat through more power point presentations. Team building exercise and then more PowerPoint. Followed by dinner with the managers and then released to our rooms. Next morning was our actual interview. Whole process was designed to keep everyone relaxed and not stressing about their interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you lead a team to complete a successful project.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2013.

Interview Details – My first steps were three phone interviews. First two was from a staffing agency and the third was from a Schlumberger recruiter. Basic behavioral questions and some logical questions that i will list below. Then, I received information on traveling to the event and a homework assignment with about 15 questions on it. Nothing difficult, just basically making you research the company and a few questions about your goals and location and segment preferences. The more research and familiarization you do with the company and their segments the better you will be at this event.

I arrived at the conference the check in day, checked in, put my stuff in my room, and went to the lobby for dinner with a voucher you get at check in for a paid meal by Schlumberger. Afterwards i went back to my room, met my room mate, and talked and hung out. The event started at 7:30 the next morning. You will be in a conference room with everyone around a table shaped as a horseshoe. A recruiter will be seated at the center of the horseshoe and all the managers will be seated at the back of the room observing and taking notes. They will first introduce themselves one by one. Then everyone will go around the room introducing themselves one by one. They have questions on the board that they want you to answer in your introduction. The last question is they want you to tell everyone about a Macgyver moment you have had in your life. If you dont know what that means then they will explain before the introductions start. After introductions they go into explaining the 7 segments that they have and they will skip around to do which ones they are hiring for at the time first. They will tell you the pros and the cons, the pay structure, the scheduling, expectations, everything. ASK QUESTIONS, be engaged. At lunch time you will be fitted for coveralls and safety boots and after lunch they will take you to their training center and facility to see some tools, see tools being built, new tools coming out, and also take you on their on-campus oil rig. ASK QUESTIONS, be engaged. You will go back to the hotel and change back into clothes, in our case they said we could put whatever we wanted back on to come back to the conference room, some people came down in basketball shorts so that should tell you how relaxed the whole process got. They finished talking about the company and its benefits and its bad sides. They dont hide anything from you. After the presentations you will do a team building exercise. They will break you into groups, give you some junk to build something but wont tell you what to build. They will allow every group one question but be careful what and how you ask because they will try to get around giving you any real information. It was a few exercise though. The managers will be walking around to see who is giving input to their time and contributing. Make sure you are contributing, thats the main reason they do the exercise, to find the leaders and the team players. Dont try to take over though, give input and take in input. After that is all over, you will be sent to your room until dinner. The managers will spread out so try to sit at a table with a manager that is over the segment you want or at least knows about the segment you want. There will be alcohol, have fun but dont drink more than you can handle, its still a interview. They passed out two pieces of paper at dinner, one had all the segments, and when and where they were hiring for them. If you dont see a segment you like has a open position, dont panic. If they like you they will let you wait until a spot opens up. The other piece of paper is a sheet where you write what segment you want, you get to pick 4. And what location you want, you get to pick 3 per segment. Dont put a segment or location that you wouldnt want, this is so they place you where you want to be. The next morning you will have a 2 on 1 interview. Depending on how well the managers got to know you the first day will influence how long your interview is. Mine was 15 minutes, the two people before me had 45 minute interviews. They didnt ask me much. Just where i wanted to go, why i wanted to go there, what i wanted to do, and if i had any concerns about the field work they exlained in the presentations. After that i checked out and drove back home.

Offer Letter came 7 days later, it will vary, my room mate got his 5 days later. So be patient.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations. This is Schlumberger, if you wont take their salary offering, then someone else will. You can negotiate your segment and location though.

Field Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in September 2013.

Interview Details – went to a career fair. guys were very stuck up. they pretty much wanted you to beg for a chance at the job.

Interview Question – where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Field Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by recruiter to set up a phone screening. During the call I was asked to solve a handful of math questions and a few mechanical. Most of the time on the call was spent discussing what the company does and the working environment related to FS positions. A decision whether or not to move forward is not given at the end of the call, in my case it came a few days later. The follow up call and correspondence was to schedule a two day “interview” in Houston. The company will fly you in and put you and the other applicants up at the hotel. The two-day starts off with introductions then goes into an orientation on the company and about the segment that is hosting. They will take you to the training center, which resembles a college campus with training rig, then back to the hotel for group activities and will close out the day with a group diner. Day two consisted solely of one on one interviews with the recruiters. If all goes well the recruiters will look to a find a position for you in the company and work out a start date. The whole process is very professional and efficient.

Interview Question – Algebra questions on the initial phone screening.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate for which segment or location you would like but that's about it. Starting base pay is low.

Field Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and received a call from a recruiter about 3 weeks later. I was set up for an interview for the following week which lasted 20 minutes and was very simple. I was ask only like 4 or 5 interview questions and questions to verify info from my application. At the end of interview I was asked to attend a 2nd interview in Tulsa, OK.

Interview Question – What do I feel would is the hardest thing about working at my current job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accept to take the second interview. I am awaiting this 3 day interview in which they will make a final decision.

Field Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Initail interview over the phone, then flew to Tulsa OK for 2nd interview.

Interview Question – Why are manhole covers round?   Answer Question

Sugar Land, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2009.

Interview Details – Flown out to Texas and wined and dined for 3 days

Interview Question – Tell us about a personal "Macgyver" moment where you used innovation and resourcefulness to solve a problem.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!