Schlumberger Field Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice and informative. He asks the basic questions on your resume but the phone interview is hard to hear if your connection isn't great so try hard to pay attention. A little stressful but nothing too hard. I thought I was panicking but apparently not cause the interview went well.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a basic algebra question so pay attention.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm going to the a second interview next month.

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview came a month after applying, was told it was for Mudlogging. 2nd interview I was flown to Houston, TX for 2-day process in Sugarland. On 1st day we all were informed there were about 8 different types of jobs besides mudlogging. Informative as the first day was about each jobs' duties and lifestyles, a quick turn around of choosing was expected. 2nd day included test rig site tour and individual interviews dependent upon job selection.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important measurement/data with on-site wireline data acquisition?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Only negotiable factors are start date and location. Salary is not; they tell you this during 2nd interview.

Field Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in October 2014.

Interview

Had telephone interview and was invited for second interview in the span of two days to the phone interview. Still prepping for the second interview in Oklahoma coming up later this month.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in the next five years?   2 Answers

Field Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency that ran across my resume on Monster. I had two phone interviews and the next day I was invited to an Hiring event in Midland, Tx. Be sure to get plenty of rest because the first day will be a long one. After arriving at the airport in Midland, Tx a van picked us up by groups. We arrived at the hotel, went to our respected rooms, got a bite to eat and then we prepared for the group setting later on that night. At this event we learn tons of info about the company and the position. Be sure to ask as many questions as possible because this job is a huge responsibility and lifestyle change. We were granted the opportunity to introduce ourselves and later mingle with other SLB employees to get a better gauge of what we should expect. This event lasted until 10:30pm and then we were invited downstairs to talk with some of the managers at the bar. The next morning we went to breakfast, toured the facility and then they conducted panel style interviews. After the interview you will be taken back the the airport to go home. Everything was great and they made sure we were as comfortable as possible. If you make it to this point, you have a great chance of getting the job.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to complete a task and it went horribly wrong.   Answer Question

Field Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted though university recruiting, flown out to large group interview on location and offered a position the next week. The whole process involved team exercises, 2:1 interviews, presentations, and behavioral observation.

Interview Questions

• What is the angular distance between the minute and hour hand of an analog clock at 3:15?   1 Answer

Field Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2014.

Interview

Applied by having my contact submit my resume to the hiring manager, which was followed by a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview, I was invited to a week-long "Field Camp" in Oklahoma. You will be with about 15 other students from around the country & Canada to learn more about the company. Lots of powerpoint, a well-site visit, and you will go to their training center to look at the actual equipment used on site. The trip ends with a group presentation on a product service line, followed by an exit interview with the staff in which you discuss placement location and service line preference.

Interview Questions

• Q: Are you willing to relocate? Q: Are you skilled with the physical parts of computers? Q: When was a time that you worked in a group and didn't agree with the majority opinion, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

I was contacted by a consulting agency that basically prescreens for Schlumberger. I had two phone interviews with them and then got an invitation to what Schlumberger calls "the 2nd Interview". Once you get an invitation they will give you all of the details like flight itinerary and information about the dress code and things of that nature. The first day is just a travel day but you will meet a lot of the other candidates this day. There was about 25 people interviewing when I went. Do not be alarmed by the amount of people going for the same job because there are a lot of job openings. I am not sure how accurate this is but it seemed to me like if you made it to this interview you have a really good chance of getting the job. The first day you fly in and the hotel shuttle will pick you up from the airport. You will quickly find out who is there for Schlumberger because they are standing around waiting as well. you will check in at the hotel and then have the rest of the night to eat dinner and prepare for the following day. The 2nd day is very long so get plenty of rest. You start the day by meeting in a conference room. Every person in the room will have to get up and give an introduction about themselves. Normal stuff like what are your hobbies, whats is your educational or military background, and the last but most important is what is your best Macgyver moment. They seem to be looking for creative answers. My advice is if you cant think of anything make something up. They want to hear that you are creative not prove you wrong. One guy at our interview didn't answer the question and it seemed to bother the recruiters and managers. After the introductions you will then sit through a lot of PowerPoint presentations about the company and learn about the different segments. Then you will take a break by getting fitted for coveralls and steel toes and you will be bused over to the Schlumberger training facility. I think the most important part about this is to take an active interest in it by asking questions and talking to the managers. The managers have been exactly where you are so its pretty much free game to ask what ever you want. The managers were pretty laid back and know what your going through so talking to them really is not difficult. After you tour the facility you will go back for more powerpoint presentations. Before dinner you will do a team building exercise. The most important part about the team exercise is to be engaged with your team. The managers are looking for team players and leaders. After that you will have dinner with the managers and recruiters and then get instructions about the next day. They will serve alcohol at dinner. My advice is that if you do drink dont get drunk. You want to be responsible. The next day you will meet up get your interview time and wait until your interview. I did not find the interview very difficult. Normal interview questions. I found that the intial phone interviews are a lot harder than the final interview. The final interview I felt was there to find out exactly what you want to do and where you want to work and whether you think you can handle the lifestyle. They are very honest about the different type of lifestyle it is. We had people drop out and not even do the final interview because they did not feel it was what they were looking for. The whole process I felt was there to make you feel more comfortable and relax about the interview. It was a good experience. After your final interview you will go back to the airport and back home. I think staying engaged and asking questions and talking with the managers will give you a good shot at getting the job. The company seems to want to put you where you want to go so dont put any locations down you dont want because there is a good chance you might get it. My last bit of advice is to be honest with yourself and be honest with them about what you want. The job is not easy but the company will work with you and thats a good feeling.

Interview Questions

• How many tennis balls can you fit in the back of your truck and how did you come to that answer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (Lafayette, LA) in May 2014.

Interview

All day event, power point about the company and segments, tour of a couple facilities and then interview with the managers. If they ask technical questions they're not going to hire you. If its personality then you got it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger (Tulsa, OK) in January 2014.

Interview

After being contacted with a phone interview, I was offered a 2nd interview in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I appeared at the 2nd interview, and the first day was the basic travel day. The second day was packed full of information. We started off by going around the room and introducing ourselves, some experiences, other details, and our greatest "McGuyvier" moment. We then watched our recruiters discuss various positions they were hiring for via powerpoint until lunch. Immediately following a boxed lunch (catered by the hotel) we went on a plant tour of the Tulsa training facility. On the bus ride, we asked how many people they interviewed to get the 30 of us that were at the 2nd interview there. They said for each person that they had invited to the 2nd interview, they had interviewed approximately 20 people. So, feel honored that you are there, and realize that you are halfway home. See that this interview is more of chance for you to learn, and be sure to NOT SCREW IT UP! Afterwards, we came back and did some more powerpoints, followed by a group exercise where we were split into groups and had to construct a platform that would support a cup of water as it floated in a tub of water. We were allowed to ask only one question per group, and they can answer it however they wanted. Basically this whole thing is to see who shines as leaders/followers and who can work well in a group of people. Be creative, have fun, and think outside the box. Following that, we had dinner where we could relax and openly talk with the recruiters about whatever we wanted. This is was a great time to get some face time with the recruiters. I also felt like by this point they knew who they wanted and who they didn't want. I felt like it was rather clear who would get job offers and who wouldn't, but I may have been over analyzing things. The next morning, we were all assigned interview times based on what time our flights were scheduled to leave from Tulsa International Airport. The interview was fairly simple, with some math/technical based questions thrown in at the end. It was about 30 minutes long. Then we were free to go after the interview. I was offered a job about 2 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• On a clock, what is the difference in the angle of the minute hand and the hour hand when the clock shows 3:15.   5 Answers

Negotiation

It was really cut and dry. I had about 9 days to accept or decline the job. It is a really open and shut offer. You get your base salary, and then a rig bonus for each day you are on the rig. If you don't accept the job, someone else will. So, think it over carefully.

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (Tulsa, OK) in November 2013.

Interview

2nd Interview in Tulsa Oklahoma. Pretty neat experience that taught me a lot about the company. First day was just a travel day. Second day program started at 7 am and we had breakfast and then did introductions for everyone that was there. This was followed by PowerPoint presentation about the company. Then bused out to training center for a tour of each segment. Arrived back at hotel and then sat through more power point presentations. Team building exercise and then more PowerPoint. Followed by dinner with the managers and then released to our rooms. Next morning was our actual interview. Whole process was designed to keep everyone relaxed and not stressing about their interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you lead a team to complete a successful project.   Answer Question

Location