Schlumberger Field Specialist Trainee Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houma, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houma, LA).

Interview

I actually had to go to 4 interviews. The first 2 were semi-formal and just getting to know you and they are usually held locally where they are recruiting. The 3rd was a formal interview which was held at one of their training schools in Tulsa, Oklahoma which spanned 3 days that involved presentations describing the company and its culture and on the last day was the formal face to face interview. The 4th interview was held in Houma, Louisiana at your potential work base where you get a one-on-one with your potential future manager and get a tour of the facilities and meet a few of your potential work mates. Note that during the 3rd and 4th interview all travel, lodging, and meals are provided or paid for by SLB.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you were working in a team project and your team experienced a major problem. How did you and your team react to this situation and resolved the issue?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Interview

Was contacted by the Willis Group because they found my resume on Monster.com, had an initial over the phone interview with them. Then I got a phone call from a Schlumberger recruiter to learn more about the job, and asked questions about troubleshooting that I have done in the past amd how I fixed them. About 2 weeks later, they flew me out to Denver for a group interview and explanation of all the benefits and what the job will actually be. They paid for the flight and hotel, and reimburse for food and mileage to and from the airport. The interview was with 2 Schlumberger employees and they asked questions relating to troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• You have 3 light switches in a room that turn on lights in 3 different room, once you leave the room you cannot come back into the room.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Interview

it was a 2 day interview. We were flown into the city where they held the interviews. Recruiters were nice and very relaxed. They definitely tried to keep that type of mood throughout the weekend.

Interview Questions

• if you were a brick on a wall which brick would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received and e-mail to complete an additional information sheet about a week later. I had a phone interview about three days alter. I had also talked to a hiring rep at my college career fair however I didn't get an interview from that. I would recommend applying multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Why are manhole covers round?   1 Answer

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Initial phone interview with situational questions, company statistics/history, and problem solving/critical thinking questions. After the 50min phone interview I received an email a few days later for an interview in Houston. Interview process took three days and consisted of interactive powerpoints, trip to training/learning center in Sugar Land, team building activities, and dinner. On the third day we had our final face to face interviews with a recruiter and manager which took around 50 min or so. Interview consisted of questions about past experience, more situational questions, and problem solving questions. Interview process is laid back and relaxed... make sure to answer questions and make yourself known without seeming like you are overpowering the group.

Interview Questions

• Name five things you can do with a styrofoam cup not including eating or drinking.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Tulsa, OK) in October 2013.

Interview

Brother works for Schlumberger and forwarded my resume to a recruiter. Recruiter called next day. Asked basic questions, although I almost froze up when he asked questions about real-life examples of mechanical aptitude. Then, asked to go to second -round interview in Tulsa. Second-round interview is not so much an interview as a message of caution for candidates. Company representatives/recruiters warn that hours are long and conditions are rough. They are. I've been working wireline for a year and a half, and they are not kidding. You should expect to regularly stay awake for 30-40 hours at a time, and sometimes longer. You'll need thick skin and should expect, as a third party hand, to be treated very poorly and dressed down customarily, no matter how good a job you have done or are doing. Atta-boys will be few and any mistakes will be spotlighted and remembered forever. For the field specialists, if you made it to Tulsa, you were in. We began by introducing ourselves at the podium, then the recruiters gave lectures on the different segments of SLB. Then it was off to the wellsite for a closer look. Then, pick 3 locations and 3 segments. I think there was a final interview which was essentially a formality. The recruiter used it as an opportunity to talk about the segment I selected, in order to see if it would be a good fit for me. Smart people for D&M, wireline, not so smart people for all else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

I first applied through Geoservices and Schlumberger, and was later contacted by both separately. Once they realized both were interviewing the same applicant, GSS cancelled their interview and referred me to just stick with the Schlumberger interview process in which I was already engaged. First I received an email from a recruiter asking me to respond within 3 days if I was interested. I was ecstatic, and responded quickly. Then I received two more emails. I had to get a reprieve for the 3 day response, because I was in the midst of a difficult out of state move, and couldn't fill out and send back all the necessary forms right away. The recruiter was understanding and obliging. I was worried about the outcome of my phone interview, because I had only known about it for 2 hours beforehand. I read the previous advice on glassdoor and just tried to stay poised and give reasonable answers. At the end of the interview, the recruiter gave me the chance to ask questions of my own. I would strongly advise candidates to ask some questions here. I think the recruiters gauge your interest level and whether you would be a low-risk hire by if you seem enthusiastic by asking questions about the job (besides, there's a reasonable chance you'll get it if you're this far along). I asked about 4 questions, about as many relevant ones I could think of off the cuff, such as "would plans for graduate school be a problem?" "would the job provide a company car?" Luckily I got an email stating I had passed the phone interview, and then had to prepare for the 2nd round group interview in Houston. This was better because I had a good bit of time to prepare for it. I took notes on Geoservices' and Schlumberger's websites. Much of the group interview is Schlumberger presentations introducing you to the company. I would recommend asking questions here as well, to cement your name / face in the recruiter's mind. The group interview is in the evening. After presentations, we had a group project. There were 5 trivia questions about Schlumberger and Geoservices (know the stock price of a share of Schlumberger stock, the name and nationality of the current CEO, how to draw the Geoservices logo). Then we had to construct something with plastic straws, paper, scotch tape, rubber bands, and toothpicks. They gave each group one question to ask. "What is the outcome?" is a good one to ask. It turned out we had to build a ramp to move a golf ball across the carpet. Then we went to the lounge of the hotel and hung out. SLB opens up a tab. I got a bottled water and talked to some of the other candidates. It couldn't hurt to chum it up with some of the recruiters here. The next morning you go down for breakfast and then put on Schlumberger blue jumpsuits and steel-toed boots to tour the facility in Sugar Land. There's not much chance to use the bathroom during the tour, so be sure not to drink too much or go beforehand. Ask questions while touring the training / simulation on-site rig. After this we went back to the hotel to change into business casual clothes and have 2 on 1 interviews. My guys were pretty laid back, one was eating lunch during the interview. It helped that I had relocated to Houston already and evidently impressed them with my answer to a question about conflict resolution. It took about 15 minutes, seemed entirely positive. Ask questions at the end of this too. Do you see a recurring motif? They told me I'd hear something within 2 weeks. I wound up getting the offer 4 or 5 days later, and accepting it. Later there is a drug test and functional capacity test. They hair test and urine test, be forewarned. The functional capacity test is just a physical with some exercise routines thrown in, to make sure you can carry weights up and down steps, hang onto a rope, deadlift small weighted objects, crawl on all 4s, etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider a "long work day"?   3 Answers

Negotiation

There's no negotiation for this job. Make sure you're able to relocate. This is probably much easier on single people with no children. Also, make sure you don't use marijuana (let alone other, worse drugs that aren't quickly metabolized). You don't want to make it so far only to fail the urine and hair tests.

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Schlumberger (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

We started the day with a presentation about the company and was asked questions during this. The questions were basic things you can find on the schlumberger home page: who were the founders and in what year, number if employees etc. After this we had our individual tests. These were a mechanical or electrical one to begin with then 2 psychometric tests. If you have any doubt about which one to choose I'd definitely choose the mechanical one. We then had our individual presentations, follow by lunch then the group exercises. On this we had to build a tower out of 20 sheets of paper and Sellotape which was strong and stable enough to hold an iPhone on top of it for 10 seconds. After this we had the individual interviews. This was pretty straight forward. We were asked to put together a valve using a drawing and then asked a few basic questions and sent home. Still waiting to hear the outcome in a few weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you were offered the position would you have any initial concerns.   Answer Question

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Why didn't you do a masters degree?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fixed Salary, no negotiation!

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Application

interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2013.

Interview

i had an interview at schlumberger in 2013 as a trainee,it was a basic screening interview,the interviewer asked me to introduce my self, there was no technical questions.it was an easy as a first interview.