Schlumberger

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Specialist Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with situational questions, company statistics/history, and problem solving/critical thinking questions. After the 50min phone interview I received an email a few days later for an interview in Houston. Interview process took three days and consisted of interactive powerpoints, trip to training/learning center in Sugar Land, team building activities, and dinner. On the third day we had our final face to face interviews with a recruiter and manager which took around 50 min or so. Interview consisted of questions about past experience, more situational questions, and problem solving questions.

Interview process is laid back and relaxed... make sure to answer questions and make yourself known without seeming like you are overpowering the group.

Interview Question – Name five things you can do with a styrofoam cup not including eating or drinking.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2012.

Interview Details – I first applied through Geoservices and Schlumberger, and was later contacted by both separately. Once they realized both were interviewing the same applicant, GSS cancelled their interview and referred me to just stick with the Schlumberger interview process in which I was already engaged. First I received an email from a recruiter asking me to respond within 3 days if I was interested. I was ecstatic, and responded quickly. Then I received two more emails. I had to get a reprieve for the 3 day response, because I was in the midst of a difficult out of state move, and couldn't fill out and send back all the necessary forms right away. The recruiter was understanding and obliging.

I was worried about the outcome of my phone interview, because I had only known about it for 2 hours beforehand. I read the previous advice on glassdoor and just tried to stay poised and give reasonable answers. At the end of the interview, the recruiter gave me the chance to ask questions of my own. I would strongly advise candidates to ask some questions here. I think the recruiters gauge your interest level and whether you would be a low-risk hire by if you seem enthusiastic by asking questions about the job (besides, there's a reasonable chance you'll get it if you're this far along). I asked about 4 questions, about as many relevant ones I could think of off the cuff, such as "would plans for graduate school be a problem?" "would the job provide a company car?"

Luckily I got an email stating I had passed the phone interview, and then had to prepare for the 2nd round group interview in Houston. This was better because I had a good bit of time to prepare for it. I took notes on Geoservices' and Schlumberger's websites. Much of the group interview is Schlumberger presentations introducing you to the company. I would recommend asking questions here as well, to cement your name / face in the recruiter's mind.

The group interview is in the evening. After presentations, we had a group project. There were 5 trivia questions about Schlumberger and Geoservices (know the stock price of a share of Schlumberger stock, the name and nationality of the current CEO, how to draw the Geoservices logo). Then we had to construct something with plastic straws, paper, scotch tape, rubber bands, and toothpicks. They gave each group one question to ask. "What is the outcome?" is a good one to ask. It turned out we had to build a ramp to move a golf ball across the carpet.

Then we went to the lounge of the hotel and hung out. SLB opens up a tab. I got a bottled water and talked to some of the other candidates. It couldn't hurt to chum it up with some of the recruiters here.

The next morning you go down for breakfast and then put on Schlumberger blue jumpsuits and steel-toed boots to tour the facility in Sugar Land. There's not much chance to use the bathroom during the tour, so be sure not to drink too much or go beforehand. Ask questions while touring the training / simulation on-site rig.

After this we went back to the hotel to change into business casual clothes and have 2 on 1 interviews. My guys were pretty laid back, one was eating lunch during the interview. It helped that I had relocated to Houston already and evidently impressed them with my answer to a question about conflict resolution. It took about 15 minutes, seemed entirely positive. Ask questions at the end of this too. Do you see a recurring motif?

They told me I'd hear something within 2 weeks. I wound up getting the offer 4 or 5 days later, and accepting it. Later there is a drug test and functional capacity test. They hair test and urine test, be forewarned. The functional capacity test is just a physical with some exercise routines thrown in, to make sure you can carry weights up and down steps, hang onto a rope, deadlift small weighted objects, crawl on all 4s, etc.

Interview Question – What would you consider a "long work day"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation for this job. Make sure you're able to relocate. This is probably much easier on single people with no children. Also, make sure you don't use marijuana (let alone other, worse drugs that aren't quickly metabolized). You don't want to make it so far only to fail the urine and hair tests.

Field Specialist Trainee

I interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2013.

Interview Details – i had an interview at schlumberger in 2013 as a trainee,it was a basic screening interview,the interviewer asked me to introduce my self, there was no technical questions.it was an easy as a first interview.

Very Easy Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Why didn't you do a masters degree?

Interview Question – Who could win in a fight Chuck Norris or Godzilla?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed Salary, no negotiation!

Jorhāt (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details – Campus recruitment. at first there was a written test comprising of 90 questions and it was a preety basic test comprising of Mechanics,Basic Electrical and mathematics. Then there was a practical test which was followed by a Personal Interview. then there was a physical test and they asked for our passports.

Interview Question – Can you work for 72 hours simultaneously?   View Answer

Westhill, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2011.

Interview Details – Had maths and engineering exams first. Had to give 5 minute presentation on previous experience, then 1-1 interview, then had to put a dismantled saftey valve back together. Pretty easy going.

Interview Question – what is your ideal job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take it or leave it. VERY low salary. £15000 per year starting.

Field Specialist Trainee
Mount Pearl Park, NL (Canada)

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2012.

Interview Details – first interview 1-1 with D & M manager, it went well so I was invited to a second group interview that lasted 2 days and consisted of presentations, group activities, information sessions, a tour of the local facilities and a second 1-1 interview. Second interview was honest look at what the job entailed and a problem solving skills test that included mathematical problem solving skills and einstein's riddle.

Interview Questions

• The gave me two fairly difficult problem solving questions. one was a mathematical problem and the other was Einstein's riddle.   View Answer
  • Einstein's Riddle was a question that was deductive and logical reasoning. It basically said there were 5 different colour houses in a row on a street, a person of a different nationality lives in each house, they each have a different favourite pet, drink and cigarette. The question consisted of logical statements from which you should make a table to assign characteristics to each house. The only question at the end was who owns a fish? the only way to answer the question properly is to logically reason it out.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing was really negotiable. We were able to rate our preferences of segment and location but nothing was guaranteed. Base salary was also non negotiable.

Field Specialist Trainee

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2012.

Interview Details – Some of my family members work for the company, so I sent my resume to them so they could get the sign on bonus if I were hired. About a week later I was contacted via email to set up a telephone interview, and to go online to fill out the application. I did both fairly smoothly, and then was told someone would review my information and I would receive an email to confirm a second 2 day in-person interview if they chose to go further. Within a few days I got the email with my interview dates, flight itinerary, and pre-interview homework attached to it. I completed everything, and within a two weeks was on my way to Tulsa, OK for the interview. They fly United, so pack light, and expect to be crammed into the smallest planes ever! You take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and I luckily had very little delays, so I got there in time to relax for an hour and change into my business clothes before everything began. My roommate on the other hand got in after everything was going on due to delays. The first night is a presentation about who they are and what they do. If you have questions, that is the time to ask them. There should be at least one person from each division there sharing information. Do not ask about hours or pay because that is field and location dependent. No one wants to talk numbers till you have a job offer in your hand. Anyways they have a couple little group activities and then you break for the provided dinner. Finish up the presentation, then off to the bar to be social, and then to bed. After about 5 hours of sleep you are up for breakfast, and out the door to their training facility for a tour. This is the time to through on your comfortable gear because you are going to be wearing coveralls. This is another great time to ask questions, and you will get about 30 minutes with the students there to ask questions. Then back to the hotel to change into formal clothing, pack up, check out of the hotel, and meet back up in the conference room. There you will turn your overalls back in, grab some lunch, and wait till it is your time to interview. They have 4 rooms going at a time with 2 interviewers in each room to 1 interviewee. Depending on who you get depends on how it goes. I felt my interview went really well. Then you go back to the conference room to turn in your homework, tell them what you want to do, where you would like to do it (3 locations), when you can start and then check out. From there you catch your shuttle and flight back home. They told us that if they did not have a job opening at one of the three locations then they would call you with a 4th pick and if you do not like it you can decline the job and try again in two years. If you took the job you signed the offer letter, and took the drug kit they gave you to a registered clinic to be tested. If they had a job lined up then they would just email you the offer within 10 days and skip the call. Well that was not the case for me. The Monday following my interview I received an email saying that I was not being offered a job with the company. With no explanation as to why, nor a phone call. I am pretty bumbed out about it all seeing as I though I was a shoe in since they spent all this money to get me down there for the interview, and I did not knowingly make a fool of myself at any point. Perhaps this is for the best, it does not seem to be a very young family friendly career choice anyways.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger Field Specialist Trainee interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees and interview candidates.