Schlumberger

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Applied online 4 weeks ago and received an email inviting me to attend an assessment day at their office in Gatwick.

Started the day with a brief presentation about the company and were then given the opportunity to ask a Field Engineer a number of questions. Seems like interesting but very demanding work.

Then had to sit 3 tests, the first of which was a relatively straightforward logic test which I think everyone seemed comfortable with. The had to sit two more tests which were unlike anything I have ever done before, and were very difficult having 20 questions and a 15 minute time limit. I guess everyone passed though as no one was asked to leave.

Then had to give our individual presentations, relatively straightforward however I would advise anyone that is applying for this job to make their presentation as interesting as possible and not just fill 5 slides with writing, as it can become a snore fest otherwise.

After this we had lunch. Then had a group exercise in the afternoon which involved building a structure from paper and sellotape that could support the interviewers phone, and the winning group was the one which was tallest. This was surprisingly fun and a nice change from the high pressure morning tests and presentations.

After this had a half hour technical interview, where they basically went through my CV and asked a few engineering based questions. Then a half hour interview with HR in which you had to assemble a valve in under 5 minutes (or try to), and then answer bog standard interview questions (why do you want to work in Oil and Gas etc).

Overall was an enjoyable but slightly exhausting day.

Interview Question – Give me a recent example in which you used logic to solve an engineering problem.   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Applied online for the field engineer position in August 2013. In november they sent me an invitation by e-mail to invite me to an assesment. The day started with a company presentation and continued with 3 tests : Math, Mechanics and Logic. Each test has a completion time of 40 minutes and they are given one after the other. So this is challenging because some of the questions require some time to think them through. Unfortunately my score was not high enough and for me the assesment stopped there.

Interview Question – Whan can you determine with acoustic logging?   View Answer

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got offered an assessment center a week after applying, was a full day in Aberdeen. right from the start was the toughest interview i've ever had! we waited in the canteen at the start of the day then were lead into a room and with no introductions or anything were told there's 3 different logic tests on the table, we have one hour and anyone who gets under 70% their day is over. so a pretty stressful start.
4 of the 12 failed the test and after that things were a bit more relaxed with a long talk about how the industry works and where Schlumberger fits into this. next we had to give a 5 minute presentation about ourselves which was all fairly straight forward. after lunch there was a group exercise where we had to build a structure for 3 people to fit under out of 25 sheets of paper and some selotape. my team built a Teepee which was the best one.
finally there was a practical test where we had to assemble a valve and the interview. the interview was very standard compitency questions however the women asking the questions seemed very disinterested and not impressed by my answers which knocked my confidence a bit and my interview only lasted 10 minutes compared to 30 for everyone else. i think this was because i was the last person and we had allready ran over time. i thought the day went terribly and wasnt expecting anything to come but 3 weeks later i got an offer!

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you've been shouted at or told off by a customer or coworker who wasnt happy with your work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Inverurie, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and after about a month was called for an assessment centre. Was told to prepare a 5 minute presentation about topics that were sent with the invite.

The environment and employees were friendly. Started the day with introduction and some IQ tests. Then the hr manager gave a pretty detailed presentation about the company and work we will be doing. This was followed by presentations and lunch. Finally there was a group exercise and then an interview with a couple of the employees.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult pretty straight forward questions were asked. In the interview was told to assemble a valve but that was pretty easy if you use a diagram that is provided.   Answer Question

Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initially an assessment centre followed by an individual interview in the office which you'd be working in.
  The assessment centre was a joke. The format was an IQ test, individual presentation, group task and then individual interview.
  I arrived 10 minutes early to be prepared, a woman arrived 15 minutes late told us to follow her (didn't bother introducing herself). We were then sat in a room and asked to do an IQ test (apparently 4 years at University isn't a measure of intelligence). The next task was a pre-arranged presentation on ourselves, the recruiter wasn't even paying attention, which was made worse by the questions session when she quickly glanced at my CV saw the first thing on there asked me about it when I'd already explained that in the presentation.
  The next part of the day was the group task, whilst I realise that usually they are looking at how we work as a team when building a paper tower, when you notice that they're just checking their emails it's somewhat disheartening. The final interview involved putting together a piece of kit, the instructions are included I didn't realise. Despite this car-crash of a day I got a second interview.
  The second part is where a bit of context may be useful; the job is advertised as an offshore job, not entirely my cup of tea but beggars can't be choosers. I arrived in some hole of an industrial estate outside Aberdeen the guy I was due to meet was friendly and the team were welcoming enough. But when I tole him that I thought the job was offshore he looked at me incredulously and told me that they'd struggle to send people offshore. Bizarre.

Interview Question – Putting together the piece of kit, make sure you find the instructions!!   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger Graduate Field Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees and interview candidates.